1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

4000 mah?

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Stuart, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

Doe's anyone no about ultrafire 16580 4000 mah. I know the amps will be low but I'm using 3 batteries in the rx 200.

2. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Given its the RX200 I assume you mean the 18650s?

I was told to stay well away from the Ultrafire range by other far more knowledgeable vapers a long time ago, so I ended up recycling mine.
    I am not too sure they are of a good enough calibre to work in a high powered mod.

Stuart likes this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I have never owned ultrafire batteries but the same as Rupert everything I have read has explained to stay away from them. I think the clue is also in the mah rating as from what I understand it's impossible at this stage to manufacture an 18650 battery with that much capacity indicating its a battery which in reality has a mah rating of ?????
    You can buy genuine Samsung 25rs for about $10 now. It's not worth the risk with these.

4. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Agreed - ditch them and go with the Samsung 25R's, or some Sony VCT4's - they are both the business when it comes to high powered vaping.

Noe and Gasman like this.
  5. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

BTW - I'm a little jealous that your rocking the RX200. I've thought about ordering one a few times now.... Id be keen to hear your thoughts on its performance and use :)

6. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

I think its great! Well made, its got the usb charger which I know is advised against but I believe the chip does a great job in controling the charge. The temp controle works well, have tried it a couple if times but prefer not using it. I've got three VTC5's in it. I get a close to full day of vapeing with it running around 50 watts and vaping a lot .Its great bang for your buck and I love the size and stability when you've got a largish tank sitting on it. Display is good eg I cant read the display on my evic vt in the sun but no problem with the rx 200. I actually bought another so I have two for my sub ohms. So fare the rx 200 is awesome. Will probably get the 3000 mah 16580 for it just so if I'm in a bit of party mode the charge will last a little longer. I believe the amps don't matter so much when using three batteries

rupert likes this.
  7. Aussie

Aussie Senior Member

Stuart, Amps always matter!!!!!!
    Only use safe batteries. Follow the advice given and stay safe.

8. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

As a general rule of thumb, any brand of battery with "fire" in the name are good for creating fires but terrible for use in vape gear, even low power vape gear.
    "Fire" brands are recycled from other electronic gear & rewrapped, in many cases, their life span can not be guaranteed & they are usually overspecced on their wrappers (like the FAKE 4000mah rating on yours).
    Use them in a flashlight if you want to risk damaging your hand but PLEASE DONT USE THEM IN ANY VAPE GEAR!
    We don't want to have to send you tins of pumpkin soup in hospital, to use with your new straw attachment.

You can get genuine 25R Samsungs for around $20AU for a 4 pack, from Gearbest or FT , shipping isn't the quickest from either but if you need them faster you can order them from Ebay at SS600's store (do a store search on ebay) for a little more.
    Don't risk your face to save a few $, buy quality made genuine batteries only for use in vape gear.

Also please do not use the USB to charge your RX200 on a regular basis, it does not balance charge properly & will eventually lead to a set of batts that are not equally charged & discharged, which in turn could lead to a dangerous situation involving your face.
    As an emergency option, I would use the USB to charge the batts but only if there was no better way to charge, like if I was away for the weekend & there was no dedicated charger to use. I would not even consider using the RX200, unless I had a dedicated 4 slot 18650 batt charger at home, because waiting for 2 batts to charge then throwing the 3rd into a 2 slot charger would annoy the hell out of me.
    Seriously though do some research & watch or read some reviews if you do not believe me but the USB should not be used to charge your batts regularly, it is not accurate or precise enough when balancing the charge delivered.

Stomp, Aussie, Stuart and 1 other person like this.
  9. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

Apparently the mod has the ability to balance charge. It charges a 1 amp. Whats wrong with that?

10. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I would be very interested to see how the batt's (any, not just the Trustfire) stack up on a multimeter after the RX charges them by USB.
    It could be a game changer for on-board charging in regulated mods!

Aqualung likes this.
  11. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

I haven't bought any trustfire's, I'm using VTC5's. I've done a bit if reading with the in board charging. Rx 200 recommend charging on a separate charger but there have been questions raised about this. I think the company is playing it safe but the fact remains that they claim balanced charging and at 1 amp. They give you an extra thick short type usb cable and the device offers this ability. Surely they wouldn't provide the ability to do this if there wasn't some credit in the divice.

12. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I do not own the RX200 but do consider battery safety to be the most worrying and important safety issue confronted by all vapers.
    Every review watched or article written about this subject has strongly suggested never to charge batteries in the mod as it puts undue stress on the battery.

I am certainly no expert and would never pretend to be but as I understand it it's even wise practice to number your batteries so as to swap them over in the battery sled so ones not working harder than the other.

I was ( and still am to a certain extent) confused about the whole subject but ultimately I acknowledge people who know what their talking about.
    Can I suggest if you already haven't done so to do some on line research and at least form your own opinion.
    Please don't take offense as it's certainly not intended but honestly mate there's some worrying stories out there and in my opinion always side with the cautious approach.

13. DogMan

DogMan Yes

Judith, Stuart and Gasman like this.
  14. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

I will do more reading :) I have done some. I appreciate your advice. I have also been rotating the batteries in the device with them numbered.

Aqualung and Gasman like this.
  15. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'm glad you thought I wasn't trying to be a smart arse as I truly wasn't. I just hate the thought of somebody getting hurt or a house fire and the resulting headlines.
    I appreciate that the manufacturer may state it's ok but if they recommend not to then that's their get out clause I would think.
    I personally have had an Istick 20w self combust in my pocket for no apparent reason and it certainly made me sit up and think about it.

It was not something I want to experience again and reckon things could have been a lot worse if I wasn't at home.

Noe and DogMan like this.
  16. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

Waw! In your pocket, shit... was it old, hot, or was it totaly random?

Gasman likes this.
  17. Noe

The USB charger does not adequately balance the charge in the batteries, I have seen tests performed proving it.
    If you want to risk your batts becoming unstable & unsafe, that is your choice but please don't just take the manufacturer's word for it, run the tests yourself or if you can't/don't know how to, then play it safe & don't use the USB for every day charging.

Catweazle, Stuart and DogMan like this.
  18. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

So the tests were on this mod?

19. Noe

:rolleyes: No they were on a circa 2010 eGo battery...

Of course they were on this mod, why would I be talking about another mod, when this is the one being discussed?

Aussie and DogMan like this.
  20. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Totally random. It charged up as normal and I had only been using it for a little while and all of a sudden I had an intense heat in my pocket against my leg. No rude thoughts please!
    I took it out and it had smoke coming out of the charge port and as I say I was lucky enough to be at home and therefore quickly went outside with it,put it down ( very quickly!) and watched it from a good distance.

It had never been abused and had performed perfectly until that point.
    I took it apart and one of the boards was blackened in one area.
    I posted a picture on here somewhere although it's not very clear.

Not exactly related to your question but to put it bluntly shit happens.

Judith, DogMan and Stuart like this.