1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

A few questions

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by steve.c, May 4, 2016.

1. steve.c

steve.c Senior Member

Hey guys, after a years break from rebuilding, recently ive gotten back into the world of rebuildables. So I've got a few questions:

1- im running a dual coil that reads 0.27 on my crius and it vapes fine until i try to go over 40w then i get dry hits. Is this normal for that kind of build? I can run my crown coils higher than that but someone told me that all coils have their limits but I thought that a rebuildable would have less limitations than a factory coil? Or is this expected with a rebuildable?

2-i also get dry hits if i chain vape quickly on my single coil serpent. Not often but it does happen. Again, is this due to my wicking or do you have to adjust your style when using rebuildables?

3-the dual coil i mentioned was two .5 ohm prewound coils. does the resulting ohms of .27 sound right? Am i close to the mark or should it have come out higher /lower?

Sorry for the building newb questions but i have no point of reference really so you guys are it lol!

2. DogMan

DogMan Butler

i don't use tanks, but on 3, 0.27 sounds right, it could be the ohm meter accuracy, or coils being slightly off target. All good either way

3. Flea

Flea Senior Member

I chain vape on my Lemo2 with never a dry hit.
    But I only vape at 5 - 7 W.

Maybe try lowering your Watts?

steve.c likes this.
  4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

1. What is the inner dia of your coils?
    Also how many wraps?
    What type of wick are you using?

2. same questions

3. Hard to know for sure without knowing what type of wire you used, what gauge it is, inner dia & how many wraps.

steve.c likes this.
  5. steve.c

steve.c Senior Member

Cheers flea. Yea when i lower the wayys its not a problem. My querie was should i be able to go higher than the 40w or is it a limitation of my build?
    Cheers Noe, yea i realise i didnt put all the extra info in but was asking generally speaking. The coils are all ss the diameters are around 4.5mm and the inside is around 2mm couldn't tell you how many wraps atm im using kendo vape cotton. Does that give you a better indication? The main querie was should i be able to go higher than the 40w in general i mean.

6. Noe

2mm inner dia is pretty thin for such a low build, try 3mm or even 3.5mm & you'll be able to use higher watts without dry hits I think.
    The amount of wraps matter too, more wraps = more distance for juice to travel to the center of the coil, while it's travelling it is being evaporated at the same time so a long, thin coil will dry hit faster than a short, thick coil.

Danyel and steve.c like this.
  7. steve.c

steve.c Senior Member

Cheers Noe, thats exactly the kind of info i needed. So with the present builds ive got it sounds like their functioning correctly for the way their built?

8. Noe

Most likely.
    Building a coil isn't all about ohms & type of wire, many other factors can affect the build, that's why I asked all those questions, because without knowing the answers it is very hard to assess wtf is going on.

9. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Very good advice. I've always lengthened coils to better match airflow holes. Probably doesnt matter.

steve.c likes this.
  10. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Every so often I will close air flow, put fingers over air holes and take a draw, without power.
    Gets negative pressure back up.

steve.c likes this.
  11. Noe

If you have longish spaced coils, it isn't so bad but if you have longish contact coils, the wick in the middle of the coil is going to be the bit that dries out/burns first. With spaced coils the problem is greatly reduced because there is more wick per wrap on the coil to draw juice from.

Aqualung likes this.