Advice on single coil rta

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Carnage, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Carnage

Carnage New Member

Hi there all just new here and looking for some advice and thoughts, been vaping for about a year now and have just entered the realms of rebuildable coils, soooo I have rba’s for my smok baby beast, x baby, prince, and cloud beast king tanks. All are dual coil decks. I have had crazy leaking issues on the prince and cbking Wich I have worked out and are cracking now but the baby beast is all over the shop with ohms and keeps shorting. This is my tank I use for work so I was looking for a smallish single coil rta(not necessarily amok) that I could used to further my coil building skills any thoughts
    Cheers in advance

2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Not what you asked for but the OBS Engine V1 is almost never going to leak because it has top fill & top airflow, it's dual coil though. However the Engine "Mini" (I think that's the one, there's a few Engine variants) is a single coil version of a similar design & the same size tank.
    Another alternative is the DigiFlavor Themis, this is a dual coil RTA but can be used for single coils (the Engine V1 can't without modding), the disadvantage in using it in single coil mode is it will drop soem flavor production but if that doesn't bother you too much then it's a good alternative & gives you the option to use it as a dual coil tank later on. Like the Engine(s) the Themis is also nearly never going to leak.
    There is also the GeekVape Zeus with a similarly "leak free" design but this is a little bit more challenging to build on than the Themis, mainly due to its wicking arrangement but it should provide better flavor than the Themis in single coil mode (I haven't actually tested this although I have all the tanks mentioned here except the mini).

Hope that helps :)

3. Carnage

Carnage New Member

Thanks Noe much appreciated I do vape for flavour so thanks for the note about that part the main reason I am looking at a single coil build is to get my head around ohms law ie wattage and ohms etc and as I have done so far I’ll learn by just practice and process of elimination will do some research on your recommendations and go from there thanks heaps much appreciated

4. Snidely_Whiplash

Snidely_Whiplash Member

5. Noe

HOLY CRAP HAT-MAN!

For the price of 1 genuine, you could get 10 clones, evil maybe but kinder to your wallet :)

For reference, I have not tried this tank nor watched the review but here's my thoughts on it:

1. It's got bottom airflow - to me this indicates that it has the potential to leak & seep juice.
    2. It looks well thought out in design if it was built 2-3 years ago. What I mean by that is it's going to be a bit of a pain to build on because you have to wrap wire around screws & it's going to be a bit of a pain to fill because you have to split the tank in the middle while turning your mod upside down, to fill the tank section.
    3. The relatively small chamber where the coil sits should mean it produces good flavor.
    4. The tank section is made of polycarbonite, so some ejuices flavors are going to cause it to crack &/or degrade.
    5. Airflow is not adjustable once you have a coil installed, without removing your build, again another pain from a bygone era.

As good as this may (or may not) be, I feel it is a relic that belongs in the past, advancements have been made in RTA design which make it easier on the user & there are better options around I think.

6. Carnage

Carnage New Member

Thanks Snidley (great name lol) will look into those cheers

7. Snidely_Whiplash

Snidely_Whiplash Member

Watch Todds video's ...
    1. The Dvarw RTA by KHWMods
    2. Dvarw DL RTA by KHW Mods
    He covers your questions
    Q 1
    It's got bottom airflow - to me this indicates that it has the potential to leak & seep juice.​
    A
    It doesn't seem to leak or seep.​

Q 2
    It looks well thought out in design if it was built 2-3 years ago. What I mean by that is it's going to be a bit of a pain to build on because you have to wrap wire around screws & it's going to be a bit of a pain to fill because you have to split the tank in the middle while turning your mod upside down, to fill the tank section.​
    A
    Yes, the blacksmith anvil is how old, & hasn't been changed because no one has found anything better?
    Yes, wrapping wire around screws is a bit of a PITA, but then so is rebuilding. (* note)
    Yes, but bottom fill reduces flooding.​

Q 3
    The relatively small chamber where the coil sits should mean it produces good flavour.​
    A
    Oh yes !!!​

Q 4
    The tank section is made of polycarbonate, so some e juices flavours are going to cause it to crack &/or degrade.​
    A
    Yes, but polycarb's getting better.​

Q 5
    Airflow is not adjustable once you have a coil installed, without removing your build, again another pain from a bygone era.​
    A
    Almost a set & forget airflow, the AFC Inserts can be swapped in & out with care.
    But generally a bit of a PITA ?!?​

(* note) The shades of my Scottish great great grand parents, would howl at the thought of me spending money on pre-made coils ?!?
    Awfully tight lot they are.

[​IMG]

emu likes this.
  8. emu

emu Senior Member

I'd go for the Wotofo Serpent SMM, for less than 40 bucks you will love it ..!
    Serpent SMM RTA by Wotofo & Suck My Mod is a 24mm RTA with a redirected bottom airflow system, two post single coil build deck, top fill capability, and 4ml capacity. The Serpent SMM features a unique redirected airflow system which brings air in from a dual adjustable bottom airflow control ring, and redirects the air up into the posts of the build deck where it exits parallel with the coil.
    Pretty hard to beat this one.....

[​IMG]

Noe likes this.
  9. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Augvape's/Mike Vape's new Intake RTA may be a decent option. Like the OBS Engine Nano, it's another top to bottom airflow single coil rta.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  10. Carnage

Carnage New Member

Hi all just an update
    got a geek vape blitzen and a Zeus on the way both on special
    Will update when they arrive and I’ve attacked them
    Thanks heaps to all that replied appreciate the knowledge pool of this forum
    Cheers

Noe likes this.
  11. Noe

Be sure to watch a youtube tutorial on how to wick the Zeus, I believe MikeVapes did the best video build tutorial of that one :)

12. Carnage

Carnage New Member

Yeah I watched a couple of vids on it so should be ok looks pretty straight forward