Ally's story

Discussion in 'Your Story' started by Pippi, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

My Vaping Journey,

My father died when I was 2yrs old. I was born 21yrs after my siblings (a change of life baby) at least they knew my dad, I didn’t because he was a smoker and lung cancer stole him from me. Only thing was, none of the family shared that bit of info with me until I was well and truly hooked on smoking by the age of 15. I should add my mother continued to smoke until she was 70yrs old, she died aged 92yrs and my grandfather didn’t give up till he was 98yrs, so I had “evidence” smoking didn’t always kill and I used those stories to the full hilt and I wasn’t too worried as I wasn’t a heavy smoker and continued on my smoking journey. Then when I was about 31yrs I had a huge trauma in my life and became a very heavy smoker and it stayed like that until I started Vaping nearly 18months ago. I am now 53yrs old.

I got to the stage that I thought I wouldn’t wake up in the morning, the coughing was so bad at night and I would be kept awake by the sound of my own wheezing. I couldn’t believe I had got myself to that point, as in most other areas of my life I try to look after myself, I eat well, have a veggie garden and 5 acres of land to look after, as well as two big dogs to walk. I have put on weight recently but that is not related to vaping. I live happily on my own with my Dogs, I get plenty of human contact with my work and my friends.

I tried every available thing on offer to give up smoking, Hypnosis, Acupuncture, Champix, Patches, Inhalers, Gum and more. NOTHING worked. About 6yrs ago I tried those cigalikes, imported from NZ with nicotine, also useless. Then about 18 months ago a wonderful thing happened, A vape shop opened in my country town, That was Victory Vape and I will forever be grateful to them as they really were there for me, helping me figure out what would work for me and just giving old fashioned support, they are still there for me but I am not as dependant on them now as I was for the first year.

I am deeply concerned about the legal issues surrounding Vaping as there is no doubt in my mind that it has saved my life. Having Australian stores where people can buy their Vaping needs and get backup support is so vital for many and I wonder how a government could consider outlawing devices that save lives? Yes, there will always be a way to buy from overseas but speaking from my own experience, it was local support that got me to this place of being a non-smoker. I guess that’s it from me in a not so small nutshell. xx

KayP, Aqualung, iamTezr and 14 others like this.
  2. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Thanks for sharing your story Ally! I really enjoy reading these success stories!

margyb and Pippi like this.
  3. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Thanks for telling your story Ally, I enjoyed reading and related to a lot of what you said.

You are so lucky to have Victory Vape in your town! There is some convincing evidence (not that we need it) that vape shops have the highest ever recorded cessation success rates out of all other methods, drugs or therapies that have ever existed.

4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Love your story Ally and love all the stories about people quitting. It's easy once you know how. :) It is rather odd that the vape stores around Australia are without doubt getting more people off tobacco than quit services while some of the tobacco control mob are trying to stop vaping. They seem to have forgotten all about smoking in the meantime while they waste their time and energy on vaping.

Nico and Laughter, margyb and Pippi like this.
  5. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Exactly Moonbeam.

Judith likes this.
  6. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Thank you for posting your story Ally.

Like the others before me, I really like hearing of these successes.

I also very much agree that a decent real life vape shop to help beginners along would be so very, very handy in those early days when you are trying to get a handle on it all.

Judith, Pippi and margyb like this.
  7. margyb

margyb Senior Member

Great story Ally and thank you for sharing
    I was a nurse and saw lots of smoking related diseases in people in my 35 years of nursing.
    Didn't stop me from smoking and I was one person the smoking patients could count on to take them outside in a wheelchair for a smoke when I had time. Because I knew how desperate they were for a fix :)
    You were so lucky to have @Victory Vape nearby:)
    Looking forward to meeting you in Ballarat next month
    margy

KayP, Judith, DaveJ and 2 others like this.
  8. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Thanks @margyb , about a year ago I had to have surgery at Ballarat Base Hospital, I cant tell you how great it was to tell the Anaesthetist that I was a non smoker but that I was a Vaper, she clapped her hands and told me how well I had done to give up smoking and that she had no Problem with me Vaping, I woke up from surgery rearing to go home and feeling great , of course I had to wait. I have to say I cant remember her name but I loved her enthusiasm for Vaping and considering she had my life in her hands, I think it counts for a lot. :) ps, I also look forward to meeting you.

KayP, Judith, Dave C and 2 others like this.
  9. Dave C

Dave C Member

Great story Ally thanks for sharing it with us.

10. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I came across this story the other day from an anesthetist. http://www.quora.com/How-does-it-feel-to-be-a-doctor-who-smokes/answer/Phil-Button?share=1

KayP, Pippi, Jennifer and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I thought of that story straight away too when Ally mentioned the anaesthetist!

Pippi and margyb like this.
  12. margyb

margyb Senior Member

13. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

Great story Ally. Glad you found the vape. It just goes to show why we need brick and mortar vendors everywhere. If they can get you on the right setup, imagine how many others they can help.

14. Keith Laird

Keith Laird New Member Vendor

Im heading in for my surgery in November and my surgeon said it was fine for me to vape in the hospital provided the others in the room didnt mind ! I think that shows progress

KayP, Judith, margyb and 2 others like this.
  15. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Which Hospital Keith?

16. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Thanks for your story Ally. Its kind of great to be able to identify with so many aspects of other peoples experiences. Feels like being part of a group

margyb and Pippi like this.
  17. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Yes I hear you, it was reading others stories that prompted me to write mine. I only wish my writing skills were better :)

margyb, Steve Thomas and Aqualung like this.
  18. Keith Laird

Keith Laird New Member Vendor

Ballarat

Pippi likes this.
  19. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Base or John?

20. margyb

margyb Senior Member

Ask Angela our moderator she is a nurse and vaped in hospital no problems

Maria and Pippi like this.