Anyone used the iStick 100w tc?

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Andrew Parker, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Andrew Parker

Andrew Parker Senior Member

I'm in need of a new mod, well, OK I probably don't need one but some of mine are looking really old and tired - honest.

This one's piqued my interest for a few reasons:
    It's not very expensive and on this occasion I don't want to spend too much
    It's dual 18650
    It has a new type of fire switch
    It's a bit smaller than the previous 100w and (supposed to be) a good form factor for holding
    It does the full range of TC
    It's software upgradeable
    The previous 100w one had a few issues with the buttons which they've solved and build quality is supposed to be better

Anyone tried one out yet? Any opinions?

2. taffyjock

taffyjock Member

Had the button issues with the 50, misfires & randomly Turning itself down, my 40 has been rock solid since day one, so I'm tempted by the 100tc as its on offer on FT for about £20.

The firmwares just been updated to 120watts & SS & Ti temp control is handy as Ni is a git to build with.

My only concern is charging internally, whether such a cheap chip will balance cells correctly, so I'd still charge then externally.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

emu likes this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

In my opinion you'd be better off with The cuboid.

I don't own the Istick 100 TC but do have the original one without TC.

I notice you mention it's a bit smaller which would help it. Something about that button mechanism that I don't like personally as well. The form factor on the original 100w is not great for me anyway. I suppose it depends on the size of your hands and I admit mine are a bit girly!

The cuboid is a bit shorter,not as wide but a bit thicker. Admittably it is a bit heavy but I don't mind that. Obviously it is capable of 150w straight out of the box and upgradeable to 200w which is too much for me but the options available.
    I don't know but like the thought that the higher the capabilities of the mod the less you're pushing the electronics.

I think it costs about $15 more and if the quality of the non TC version is anything to go by the cuboid beats that in every department.

Just my 2c worth.

4. Andrew Parker

Andrew Parker Senior Member

Update, after a month or so of using the iStick 100 TC:

I've really enjoyed this mod. Like all (most?) Eleaf products it's very well made - for the price and compared to it's competitors. It has a really good solid feel to it which suggests it will last well. I will be pleased if it's like my other iSick's and continues with no problems until I choose to retire it rather than it die on me. My 20w and 30w now sit in the cupboard but they still work and could come out of retirement if needed.

I like the simple menu system which is so familiar, I like the ease of changing the batteries, I even like the firing mechanism which is a bit unusual but works well. I like the size and shape which fits into the hand just right. The dual battery gives me plenty of power for a couple of days and when they die, the mod will live on with replacements.

On the down side, and it's only a little niggle, the mod isn't very stable when placed upright on a desk/table. It's just a bit too narrow for the height and has a tendency to wobble a bit. It hasn't toppled on me yet, but I am conscious of it and careful.

I confess to being more and more attracted to the Cuboid but unfortunately I can't compare as I've never handled one. I can compare to the Reuleaux RX200 though (all of them much the same price) and I much prefer the squatter, bulkier form of the latter. Nevertheless, the iStick has a proven pedigree and I'm pleased to have it as something that will last well into an uncertain future.

Nico and Laughter and Judith like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Fair comment but I will comment on the cuboid and offer you my opinion which is if the TC is in any way comparable to the non TC 100w (as I don't own one) the cuboid leaves it standing.

Nico and Laughter likes this.