Ares RTA from Innokin

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Gasman, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Another MTL RTA.

They seem to be coming out thick and fast lately.

Personally it seems very similar to the Siren to me but you never know.
    Are the building rods a good idea or just a gimmick?

I think it does appear to be the most complete and informative out of the bunch but it's not a 22mm which may or may not appeal.

Considering the manufacturer and the names attached you'd have to think its a winner but is it worth buying?

Just my mind speaking.

Anybody else have an opinion?

Noe likes this.
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Looks like it would work the same as the Siren V2, same airflow options, perhaps with just a tad more airflow than the Siren due to the added airholes on the deck but there wouldn't be very much in it at all.
    The posts, the inner barrel both look nearly identical, AFC has exactly the same options for choice (although the holes may be different sizes).
    The main difference seems to be in the filling method, this seems to have a slight advantage there.
    Also the Siren V2 is 4.5ml capacity where this is 5ml capacity, not a lot between them.

Other than that it comes down to looks, I think the Ares looks a little better, however they are so similar that if I was in the market for one of these type of RTAs it would come down to price & availability. Either tank should perform roughly the same, their design features are too alike for them to not be able to produce similar vapor quality, with the same build on each deck.
    So cost is going to be a big consideration, especially if you have the option of either available at the same vendor.

Gasman likes this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Yeah that's along the lines of what I thought and as I've got the Siren already it's not on my radar.

Still,it's going to be interesting to see any reviews which I'm sure will compare the two.

Noe likes this.
  4. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I have now watched a couple of reviews including one from Vaping With Vic which is less than complimentary.

As mentioned above I thought it looked very similar to the siren which he points out but he also adds it's a kind of hybrid between the V1,V2 and the berserker.
    I won't state it all in case anybody wants to go watch it but he reckons the flavour is muted.

I thought I'd check out some of the comments and right off the bat P. Busardo replies not exactly praising his opinions and comments. A reply from Vick answering his comments follows.

Probably fair to say they won't be sending each other Christmas cards this year.

5. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

A FB group I am in are raving about it and most people really loving it - I wont be getting one as its not 22ml

Gasman likes this.
  6. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'm not going to bother either as its probably not going to be any better than the Siren and I also prefer 22mm.

I'm definitely not buying into any prospective hype about this one but if and when it's available at a reasonably cheap price I might just give it a go.

Pippi likes this.
  7. Noe

Vaping Vics video:

First comment on the review page, by P.B. was a bit uncalled for, as a reviewer he wouldn't like someone slamming him for his opinion but he did reply further down & apologize, saying he was drunk at time of posting the original comment.
    Still if he was drunk he should have resisted the urge to post & in his apology post he still sounded a bit snarky.

Anyway I think Vic hit the nail on the head, block some of those bottom airflow holes off & it'd give better flavor, too much airflow dilution is not good, P.B. had nothing to complain about IMO.

Gasman likes this.
  8. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'm inclined to agree with you Noe.

P.Busardo was the first reviewer I watched and I believe vaping owes him thanks for all that he's done and continues to do. I know his reviews can be long winded but he certainly does do all that is required and more. I still watch his reviews and take his opinions with gratitude but unfortunately I also believe he let himself down on this occasion.
    I have a lot of respect for the man and what he does so I don't like to admit that but it's the truth.

I'd imagine it's hard for him not to take any criticism or claims as an insult but him of all people should be open to others and their opinions. But at the end of the day he's human and that involves making a wrong choice on occasion.
    I know I've made my fair share of wrong choices in my time and I'm sure will make some more!

My initial thoughts on seeing pictures of the Ares was exactly that it reminded me very much of the Siren 2. Like anybody else I've no idea whose design came first but find it hard to believe considering the people and company involved that they would simply just clone others ideas.
    As a member of the paying public all I know is that the Siren 2 was talked about long before I heard of the Ares and of course is similar to the original Siren albeit with a different and better airflow design. There again that's where the problem seems to lie in regards to this little difference of opinion.

Then I have to ask myself for what reason Vic would make his statements especially considering his relationship with Innokin and knowing that he would put a lot of vapers offside if he said what he did. He's even gone as far as bringing the subject up again on one of his "What's Up" videos refusing to take anything back.
    He's stated on several occasions that he has no financial investment in vaping as he would lose any pensions he receives. I appreciate you have to take his word on that but he strikes me as being honest and is taking a bit of a risk if that's not true.

He has also stated that moving forward he will not be reviewing any more vaping merchandise that another reviewer has had a hand in designing due in part to this episode.

Is it possible it is a case of similar ideas at the same time behind closed doors from different people?
    Possibly but very coincidental.

Personally for me the Siren 2 was launched first and I very much enjoy the tank. Subsequently I don't see the point in buying the Ares.

But of course that's just my opinion!

Pippi likes this.
  9. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

If it was 22mm I would buy it as I like the look of it over the Siren, The only reason I dont have a siren is that they look ugly to me.
    Lots of vapers are loving the Ares - damn shame about the size :(

Good move by Vic not the review other reviewers products in the future and I did think he went OTT in his slamming of it.

Gasman likes this.
  10. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I've just completed my version of War And Peace on the Siren 2, Berserker and Prime clone and rate the Siren 2 the best.
    It's a shame you consider the Siren ugly as I think you might like it.

As ever each to their own and you're more than entitled to your opinion but perhaps if you could see past the look .....

To be honest I must have poo in my eyes because I don't think it's ugly!

Pippi likes this.
  11. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Lol, Gassy - I just looked at them again and you are right - not too ugly in the SS or gunmetal :)

12. Noe

That's a shame, gear is gear & vapers will be influenced by product association with high profile reviewers, we need honest reviewers like Vic to inform vapers of just how good a product is or all we have is hype to go on.

I disagree, yes he stated & restated his opinion but if he did that in praise (like I have seen many reviewers do) there would be no complaint about his review.

25mm is the new 22mm ;)
    The old "standard size" for a RTA or RDA was 22mm but more & more 25mm is becoming the standard size & with good reason.
    While not quite so much needed on a RDA, a 25mm RTA has more deck room to build on so that you can have more coil options.
    With a RTA the deck size is always smaller than the same diameter RDA, due to the tank, so those extra 3mm are usually used in increasing the deck's size, 22mm RTAs are often limiting in the type/size of coil that can be used with them & that can limit performance to a specific build. When there has been both 22mm & 25mm RTA versions of the same tank, the 25mm version is nearly always more popular because of the added juice capacity & build options.

Don't get me wrong, I still think we need 22mm RBAs but I also think that the majority of rebuilders are now using box mods that can accomodate 25mm atties & in some cases 30mm atties or larger.

Sometimes looks are more important than performance to people, personally I take function over form but if I can have both great!
    However, there is no reason to use ugly gear, most tanks now are very similar for performance, there is little to separate them, none have a huge advantage over another when it comes to flavor or cloud production (when viewing similar class atties), so often the choice becomes, "which one do I like the look of more?"

However, I am also willing to sacrifice a little in looks, to gain a performance advantage, if it's a real advantage like a "leakproof " design or a better refill option.