Battery safety & which is the best battery to use?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Noe, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Yes, but Margy won a lovely one at the Ballarat Vape meet. would be nice if she could use it. I have to confess, I just pop into my B & M store when I need to adjust mine, The Pv 3 is pretty easy but the Pv 2.5 are tricky. The Radius is a breeze.

2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Are Provari giving you royalties yet? :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes the Radius would be easier, since it has more buttons, that was always the problem with the provari 1 button to do everything.

DogMan and margyb like this.
  3. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

trade the bloody provari for a vtc or something if you don't like it. You are not obliged to keep it cos you won it, nor cos it has a big name on it

Browny, Pippi and Noe like this.
  4. Gem

Gem Member

Hi, hope this is the correct place to ask question on batteries. I have samsung 25R ×2 that I swap out on my IVP D2 mini and charge in a xtar vc2 charger. I maybe a little premature as I have charged both about 40 times so far. My question is how many times can you recharge these batteries/whats the life span and is there a sign of when its time to replace them with new ones. Would be thankful for any answers.

5. Noe

Good question Gem & yes this is the right place to ask :)
    Samsung 25Rs are very good batteries, so well done on choosing them.
    Most Li-Ion batteries have a duty cycle rating of 300, this means they can be recharged 300 times before they are considered spent. In practice though, good batteries like 25Rs will continue working well beyond that but in a reduced state (shorter run times due to lower mah).
    Ifg you have just 2 batts that you are rotating daily, this means the pair will last you about 2 years before needing replacement & will probably continue to work beyond that but require more frequent recharging.
    As long as you take good care of a good set of batteries, using them beyond their rated duty cycle ( recommended recharges) shouldn't pose any added risk compared to a fresh pair of batteries.

margyb and Catweazle like this.
  6. Gem

Gem Member

Thankyou very much Noe. Thats pretty good value for money, I will make sure that I look after them well.

Noe likes this.
  7. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

My question is for NOE

The video suggests an LGICRHE40 would be best for my NEbox (on order). I may be misinterpreting the video though.
    I found on another utube that the ICR types are longer due to the protection features. Will it fit in the device?
    Will an LGHG2 be better?
    This is one of those subjects where I find that the more I research the more confused I become
    I accept that in this case cheapies are probably best avoided and I can see that some of the claims made about capacity are a bit silly.
    You know when folks like me ask questions like this we really just want a wise grey beard to say "son this is what you need".
    I am very trusting (naïve) so if you would kindly tell me what brand and model I will get it !

Nico and Laughter, DogMan and emu like this.
  8. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

I'm not noe. But samsung 25r are modestly rated 20amp. Most gurus put them towards 25amp.

The newer brown lg are also good 20amp if you want longer between charging.

Check out mooch's tests on ecf for reliable info

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Browny, Cloudy and Nico and Laughter like this.
  9. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

I went for the chocolate LG, Thanks for the advice!

Browny, DogMan and Nico and Laughter like this.
  10. Noe

I wouldn't use the LGs, I don't like the color LOL
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The best battery is always the one that can deliver the power to suit your needs, within it's proper rated specs, with this highest possible mah capacity*.
    So if you need a battery that is capable of delivering 60W continuous (vapers should look for the continuous power rating, not the max(pulse) rating), then you need a 20A continuous rated battery.
    If there is a choice between 2 different 20A rated batteries, then the next thing to look at is the mah rating, a 3000mah rating is better than a 2500mah rating & will give you around 15% more run time.
    Most Li-Ion batts have 4.2V available at full power but that isn't the value to use when selecting batts for your needs, you should never take Li-Ion batts below 3V (this is still too low & will shorten the life of the batt), ideally you don't want to take them below 3.2V or better yet 3.4V. Indeed most modern mods have a safety cut out set at 3.2V or 6.4V for dual batt mods, so this 3.2V is the value to use to determine power needs.
    To do that is easy, if you want to vape at 60W, then divide that by 3.2V = 18.75A, so the minimum Amp rating you need would be 18.75A but since there are no batts with a 18.75A rating you go up to the next highest = 20A.

The next thing I look at is the economic value of the battery, if that 3000mah batt is $15 & the 2500mah batt is $10, then I am paying 50% more for the 3k batt. So the 2.5k batt would be better value because for the price of 2 of the 3k batts you could buy 3 of the 2.5k batts & 2x 3k = 6k, 3x 2,5k = 7.5k.
    So best bang for you buck would be the 2.5k batt, you just have to swap them out more often (there is a point of diminishing returns for this because of duty cycles, which I will not go into here as it is rather involved & largely isn't a factor with today's batteries).

*If economic value is equal to other batts.

Browny, emu, Gasman and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

That is a really informative video. Good simple explanation of which battery is best for your application.

emu and Cloudy like this.
  12. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Thanks Noe,

That really does sum it up rather nicely! because I am a very lazy man the 3000 makes sense to me.

I have also learned that sticking to the big brands may actually make sense in the case of these type of batteries.

Browny, emu and Gasman like this.
  13. Noe

"Big brands" don't really mean anything. What is important is that you buy & use genuine manufacturer made batteries, because they are going to give you the true rating of the battery.
    There are a lot of "Big Brand" rewrappers, some like AW (genuine AW) use the manufacturer's specs on their wraps (although there are a lot of fake AW batts around) others like Efest, may or may not be using the manufacturer's ratings.
    I'll use elcheapo batts in a torch (some of the batts I have came included with mods but I don't trust them to vape with) or some other device but I am not going to use anything I don't know for certain the rating of near my face to vape with.

14. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Yeah, I meant the big brands who actually manufacture the batteries and market themselves. like LG. Normally I am a no brand kind of guy, but in this case with so few manufacturers there really is a reason to go with originals.

Browny, Gasman, emu and 1 other person like this.
  15. Andrew Parker

Andrew Parker Senior Member

How do the low resistance coils fit into the equation?

I was under the impression that you needed higher continuous discharge batteries for low resistance coils. In fact when I was looking into this, some time ago admittedly, going down into coils of 0.3 and lower, presented problems for batteries below 20 Amp. As there aren't any batteries any higher than, I think, 30Amp and even they may not be that high in actual use, are the guys building coils below 0.1 pushing their batteries to unreasonable levels?

Things have moved on so quickly and I regularly read or hear of people building extremely low resistance coils that were unheard of even 12 months ago and I've often wondered if they've got ahead of what the batteries are capable of handling.

I'm not in any danger from this as I'm confident that I have matched my equipment to my rather pedestrian levels of vaping but I would certainly be interested if anyone can throw some light on this.

Browny and Gasman like this.
  16. Noe

When using extremely low ohm coils (Regular not TC coils) a 30A rated battery (highest currently available I believe) won't be enough. Thankfully dual battery mods exist & these devices are what those coils should be ran on. ;)

Browny and Gasman like this.
  17. Andrew Parker

Andrew Parker Senior Member

So the TC changes the situation? And the use of dual batteries?

I'm off to do some reading on it, not that I'll really need it but I find the mystery of how batteries work quite fascinating. I've also got a feeling that batteries of all sorts are going to figure a lot more predominantly in our lives in the future.

Browny likes this.
  18. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

on VW/VV devices, watt's law applies, on mechs use ohm's law

PARALLEL dual batteries allow more amps, series do NOT

emu likes this.
  19. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

20. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

image.png

unrelated to above, but interesting. would be good to contact them