Best Vanilla Flavour Concentrate

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by Jennifer, May 8, 2017.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Hi guys, as some of you will know I don't do DIY and to date have got all my flavours ready made from the US. Cuz I'm lazy....and blonde. :blonde:

But I've been thinking, since I only vape one flavour now, which is basically a plain vanilla, I might try to make it from local concentrates so I can make it in bulk and won't have to order from overseas.

I know there is a Vanilla concentrate that doesn't have most of the nasty chemicals that the others do, but I can't remember which one it is?

Any suggestions for a creamy, sweet vanilla concentrate, preferably without diacetyl?

sammstein24, Gasman and Pippi like this.
  2. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

is it the Flavour Apprentice? I have forgotten now but one of them tests and doesn't use diacetyl - @rupert will know for sure. There is info here somewhere but I failed to find the thread :(
    Your store bought Vanilla most likely has more than one concentrate in it though......

Good idea to make in bulk - I cant be bothered mucking around with juice making either and just make my single flavor juice in a 500 ml brown glass bottle and keep it in the fridge to top up my smaller bottle.
    Also I dont use syringes anymore either - just two measuring cylinders from the science supply place . simple, no mess & only takes me about five mins to make 500mls :)

Judith and Jennifer like this.
  3. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Thanks Pippi. I have made one sad attempt to DIY years ago and it tasted crap. I think you are right that it probably has more than one vanilla concentrate, and probably sweetener, and some chemical to make it creamy, and god knows what else.

I the think the Vanilla without diacetyl might be called Vanilla II or something?

Pippi likes this.
  4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

You might be thinking of the Capella Vanilla Custard which had two versions, the second one without the nasties. Hopefully someone will be along with recommendations for pure vanilla flavouring. I know Flavour Art are very careful to make theirs as safe as possible but have no idea what their vanilla is like.

Jennifer and Pippi like this.
  5. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Yes ! it was flavor Art :)

Jennifer and Judith like this.
  6. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Ok, I'll check out Flavour Art. Thanks girls.

Oh, another question; where do people buy their flavour concentrates these days? Local suppliers preferred.

Pippi likes this.
  7. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

Hi Jen!
    I'm a vanilla lover too. And I do make my own but sadly haven't tried very hard to make something I love and have settled for something that'll do. You will indeed need to mix a few different flavors to make something that comes close, I think.

Flavour Art makes several different vanillas, but sadly none of them work for me as a stand alone flavor. The Flavor/Perfumers Apprentice Vanilla Swirl is good, but also, not quite right all on it's own. All Flavor Art are diacetyl free, as are most of TFA's.

I think it might be best to search a few forums for vanilla recipes and see what you can come up with? Or maybe someone here will come along with a foolproof recipe suggestion.

Pippi, Jennifer and Judith like this.
  8. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Lots of Australian vendors sell Flavour Art: Juicewhore, vapoureyes, Victory Vape, Sydney Vapour, GoVapeLiquid and your local the Juice Factory (I think they moved back to WA).

Jennifer likes this.
  9. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I just found the Capella one which does a V2, stating that it is 'ACETOIN, ACETYL PROPIONYL - FREE'. Their original versions don't say that in the description.

Embee, thanks for the tips. I've had this idea in my head for a long time.....it was because of Judith actually! You tried my juice years ago (Good Life's Plain Jane) and identified an very slight aniseed flavour...which was spot on. I'd been trying to work out why I found this plain vanilla so addictive. Since then I've been meaning to try and make it using a good creamy vanilla concentrate with a drop or two of aniseed.

So that's what I'm gonna try to do. :sillygrin:

Pippi and Judith like this.
  11. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I met the guy who owns Juice Factory at a Perth meet years ago. He was a lovely guy, so I'll have a look at his website. :)

Pippi likes this.
  12. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'm not a vanilla expert by any means and the only actual vanilla concentrate I have is TFA French Vanilla which I mixed at 10% and didn't think that much off.
    Ok as a mixer to mellow some tobaccos.

I have tried FW Bavarian cream at 10% which was much better.
    Capella butter cream was ok- ish on its own at 10% but does seem to add some "thickness " as such to a mix.
    I have also tried various custards with the best being Capella Vanilla custard V1 at 12% but I don't know if custards are what you're after.

If they are you may like Mats Custardzilla from The Flavour Republic which is in my opinion a beauty.
    I know you was after a concentrate but just a suggestion.
    He does a Vanilla Cheescake which I enjoyed but again it's a doubler.

Not much help probably but the best I've got.

Edit...

Sorry but I should add I have no idea what nasties are in my suggestions apart from I think Capellas Vanilla Custard was superceded by V2 because of nasties.
    I never take much notice as in my mind I'm not smoking to be honest.

Pippi and Jennifer like this.
  13. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I don't think Plain Jane was vanilla custard although I could be wrong. I think it was vanilla, aniseed and possibly some very subtle flavours in small amounts.

Pippi and Jennifer like this.
  14. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Pippi, Jennifer and Judith like this.
  15. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Aqualung and Pippi like this.
  16. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

The juice Factory is really great - bought heaps from them before realizing I would always be a Tobacco Flavor Gal, Juice Whore ( unfortunate name) also has a good range.
    Victory Vape dont sell concentrates.

Jennifer and Aqualung like this.
  17. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Gas, this is good info.

I have tried those two of Matt's and they are both nice, but I like most flavours, I just can't vape them for very long. A bit too sweet maybe, or too flavoured? Dunno. I crave 'simple' these days.

I might grab some of that Bavarian Cream, I like the sound of it.

Gasman likes this.
  18. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I had forgotten about the apple I thought I detected.

Jennifer and Pippi like this.
  19. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

With the utmost respect to Gassy - if you are over very sweet flavors, give the B Cream a miss - its very very sweet.

Jennifer likes this.
  20. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Thanks Pippi.....they are so cheap, I might just throw in a 10ml bottle to try. A tiny little bit might round off a straight vanilla flavour?

As always, after sitting for hours trying to make a cautious purchase, I am now throwing things in my cart left, right and centre. Credit card is going to cop it again tonight I reckon.

Pippi likes this.