1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

can I use natural essences ??

Discussion in 'Juice Chat' started by Steve H, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Steve H

Steve H Member

Ok just been sitting here and wondering if natural essences such as vanilla extract and Almond essence etc can be used to make a home brewed juice ? only asking as i discovered some lurking in the kitchen cabinet .

2. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

More experienced "chefs" will need jump in to answer your question but what I know is that flavor extract needs to be 'water based' and not 'oil based' to be able to use for vaping.
    Using a bowl of water, drip a few drops into the bowl and if it dissolve then it's water base and i'm sure you can use them but if they create oil swirls then it's no good.

Judith likes this.
  3. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

A lot of misnomers surrounding extracts and oils.

Essenital oils, are for the most part, OK to vape. In fact you will find that a majority of concentrates are the essential oil compounds, purified and put into PG for use in mixing.

The problem with oils comes from lipid based oils (real oils), which can lead to lipid pneumonia if inhaled. Thats bad, and nobody wants that.

People have fallen into the trap of calling organic (carbon/hydrogen based) non-polar compounds "oils" because they are not miscible with water - i.e.) they form layers and don't mix homogeneously. All flavour and aromatic molecules (esters, ketones, flavonoids, the list goes on) are organic compounds.
    The compounds in many cases are mixed with an alcohol at an intermediate to allow them to mix with PG and form a homogenous mix.

The unknown here come from transferring vanilla extract intended for cooking into a vaping scenario - in which case my advice would be don't.
    For the price of $4-5 you can have a 10mL bottle of CAP/TFA/FA/etc that is more widely used and for which we know the components via MSDS.

4. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

sounds good to me rupert , STEVE just clean the fridge with it mate .

rupert likes this.
  5. Steve H

Steve H Member

Thanks guys think i will give it a miss for now !

rupert likes this.
  6. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Back in the early days of vaping I used some supermarket flavours to make a Toblerone juice.
    Chocolate, Vanilla and Almond which were PG based.
    It was ok at the time but a little on the weak side.

rupert likes this.