1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceravape Nano tank with Ceramic Wick review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Noe, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I first saw a new product that had me excited, due to using a unique ceramic wick, called the Ceravape Soter.
    It was & still is relatively unknown to most vapers, I will be reviewing that tank soon but today I am reviewing the Ceravape Nano.
    While the Soter is a subohm tank, its little brother, the Nano, is aimed at tootle puffers/new vapers & this fact in a market that has largely been pumping out tanks for experienced vapers is what prompted me to post this review before I reviewed the Soter.

I contacted Ceravape directly to obtain the Nano, at a reduced cost for this review, which at the time was unavailable from any retailers.
    At present, I know of 2 online vendors that have the Nano listed for sale :
    http://supersmokerclub.nl/en/ceravape-ceramic-cvtank-nano-en.html which will ship to Australia with a total cost(inc shipping) of just under 30 Euros (approx$44AU).
    Or
    http://www.ceravape.co.uk/cvtank-nano but I am unsure if they will ship to Australia, my dummy order suggested that they would accept payment & added a shipping cost to the total, however I could not be certain that this was international shipping rates.
    This will be the cheaper option if it does ship here though with a total cost (inc shipping(if correct)) of $11.05 GBP (approx $24AU)
    EDIT: I just checked my messages & the Ceravape rep has informed me that this vendor can ship to Australia :)
    Ceravape are also endeavoring to have Aussie vendors carrying their products.

Unboxing:
    The Ceravape Nano comes in a small cardboard box with an authenticity sticker & information of which resistance coil is included on the side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside there is the tank, a small instruction manual, a promotional card and nothing else.

[​IMG]

Its all about the Wick!:
    So what's the big deal about the wick?
    The Ceravape ceramic wicks are hollow ceramic tubes which a coil wraps around - just like coils using cotton or silica.
    Juice flows into the hollow tube & through the porous ceramic to the coil, because the wick is solid & 1 piece, there are no loose particles like there can be with silica or cotton, this means all you are vaping is the vapor, not the vapor + any loose fibers.
    Silica in particular is very brittle, small particles of silica (when used as the wick) have been found in various atomisers, throughout the air tube (chimney) & in the drip tips used on those atomisers. It is the reason that many vapers prefer to use cotton wicks.
    The one advantage silica has is that it can be "dry burned" to clean the wick of gunk & make it almost like new again but this further degrades the wick & makes it more brittle.

Cotton is far less brittle & less likely to have small loose fibers but cotton has its own problems as a wick for vaping. Cotton often has a "break in" period, where a "cottony taste" is present on a fresh wick, it then has what I'll call the "honeymoon period" where all you can taste is the juice you are vaping, it then starts to taste a little used & the gunk that builds up on your coil can start to be tasted. After about 3-5 days of use a cotton wick needs to be replaced because the flavor of the vapor is not clean, due to the gunk build up.
    Cotton wicks can not be "dry burned", cotton is flammable & will simply catch alight turning to soot, in some cases the wick can be washed & reused but washing never removes all of the bad taste from the previous lot of gunk, this can be more or less effective depending on the type of coil & application of the wick.

So along comes Ceravape ceramic wicks, Ceravape are not the first to use ceramic as the wicking material but their implementation of the ceramic wick is what makes it so good.
    There have been ceramic fiber wicks, which suffer from the same brittleness problem as silica, as well as more solid ceramic wicks which were, again brittle & prone to breaking or simply not as effective as either cotton or silica (hence why they never really took off).
    Ceravape's wick can withstand 1300 degrees Celsius before burning, so "dry burning" is not an issue, the wire coil will likely pop or melt before you burn your wick!
    The wicks are not brittle & prone to breaking, they transfer liquid to the coil through their porous structure rather well & they are designed to last, Ceravape claim they can last 3 months or longer, I have not had that long to test them but I can confirm that they show no degradation from a "dry burn".

[​IMG]

Ceravape mentioned that they spent about 12 months in testing & developing the wicks they produce, they developed the technology in their own labs.
    The resulting product is a wick that does not taint the flavor of the juice you are vaping. It was quite surprising when I first vaped with their tanks, the flavor they produce is much cleaner, crisper & a little less sweet as the same juice vaped through cotton wicks.
    When the flavor starts to get that "gunked up coil" taste, it is simply a matter of finishing or emptying the tankful you have & performing a dry burn on the coil to remove the gunk, you won't harm the ceramic by doing this. The wick may not be perfectly white & new looking but it will perform like a brand new wick.
    I don't like to use the words "game changing" lightly but with these ceramic wicks, those are the two words that come to mind with these Ceravape tanks.

The Nano:
    The Ceravape Nano is a 14mm diameter, 2ml capacity, eGo threaded tank, made from Stainless Steel and glass. It is designed specifically for pen style batteries(eGo, Evod, etc), it functions well & looks good on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My only pen style battery is nearly 5 years old so forgive it its looks, it still functions when fully charged & I did test the Nano on it briefly, it had no issues firing the 1.4ohm coil.
    Most of my testing was carried out on my Evic VTC mini box mod, using a 510 - eGo adapter, unfortunately these do not come packaged with the Nano but many vendors have them for a small cost.

[​IMG]

The tank is essentially 4 parts, base, coil head, glass tank & top cap/chimney/drip tip (all one piece), the Drip Tip is fixed & not removable but it is comfortable to use & IMO well suited to the tank.

[​IMG]

The base has a ring with 3x cyclops style slots for air flow control on it, which moves 360 degrees around but is not easy to accidentally knock out of position, while being easy to set to your desired air flow. At its most open the AFC allows for "soft" lung hits, using it this way, with longer puffs, it is possible to produce a reasonable sized cloud. These are not the kind of clouds you'd expect from a subohm tank but this is a 1.4 ohm coil on an eGo compatible tank & able to produce clouds!
    Dialing the AFC down, the vape produced is more flavorful & perfect for tootle puffers that want that flavorful mouth to lung vape.

I have had no issues with leaking, gurgling or seeping juice from this tank. A lot of that is, I believe due to the coil head design & the wick. Because the wick is solid & slides through the Stainless Steel head with a tight tolerance, the juice is essentially trapped in the tank. With a regular cotton or silica wick, juice can flow through the material more freely, allowing for a greater chance of seepage over time, causing leaks & or gurgles. The ceramic wick allows juice to flow through its porous structure but at room temperatures the juice does not flow through it as easily as when it is heated by the coil, effectively this means that juice flow is "on demand" & not constant(as it is using fiber wicks).
    The risk of this type of juice flow is the possibility of dry hits, I am happy to report I have had no dry hits using the 1.4 ohm coil at 11W - 12W in the Nano.

Filling:

Filling is like most tanks of this size, turn the tank upside down, unscrew the base & fill down the side of the tank. If you first screw the coil head onto the chimney, & screw it down tight, then there is a good chance that it won't unscrew from the chimney when you remove the base & instead will unscrew from the base. This allows you to fill the tank a little more than you could otherwise, this is how I recommend filling the tank but only to the level of the wick, to allow for some air to remain inside the tank to give it the correct pressure for juice flow, otherwise you may get dry hits with a tank that is too full.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall:
    I am extremely impressed with the quality of this tank, the vape it produces & the potential that the Ceravape ceramic wick has.
    Of all the products I have reviewed in 2015, these ceramic wicks have me the most excited.
    The reason is, that while there are mods that offer Temperature Control, with these wicks TC is virtually unnecessary, it is nearly impossible to burn the ceramic wick, which IMO is why TC mods exist - to prevent burning fiber wicks while vaping. You may get a bit of a dry hit if the tank is empty on the Nano & you try to vape a dry coil but you are not going to get a burnt hit, you will know it is a dry hit & you won't push past that to burn the wick, unless you have no regard for your throat.

I believe the Ceravape Nano needs to be made available at more vendors & that it will have wide ranging appeal to many vapers, be they newbies or experienced tootle puffers, even some vapers that currently use subohm tanks may find the Nano handy for some situations.
    I will certainly be recommending these to newbies & at the top of my list of newbie friendly tanks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Cloudy, Pippi, Stuart and 6 others like this.
  2. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

It can only change the game if vendors will stock them. But they may resist stocking them because there isn't much in the way of follow up sales if everyone just dry burns their wicks instead of constantly ordering replacement coils?
    Damn, the drip tip is the only thing I don't really like about the look of the tank....I figured that would be no problem, I could just change it for one I like, but no.

Noe, would you be able to post a photo of the coil and wick part? Or even better a photo of it being dry burning or in position to dry burn? I would love to see what the coil and wick look like!

Thanks for another great review! Now we just have to convince vendors to stock it.

3. Noe

The 4th photo down is a shot of the wick & coil :)
    I'll be going a little more in depth in the Soter review on the coil & wick, which are essentially the same just the shell (head) holding them is different.

Pippi likes this.
  4. Sunshine8

Sunshine8 New Member

Haha,but it does help those smokers who want to quit smoking,less cost will bring more new customers and be solid customers very soon

Noe likes this.
  5. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Thanks very much Noe. Great review.

Pippi, Jennifer and Noe like this.
  6. Noe

Glad you enjoyed the read :)

I do agree with Jen a little about the drip tip, if there was 1 thing I could change on the Nano it would be making the DT interchangeable(which i mentioned to the Ceravape rep), because as she pointed out not all vapers will like the style of it.
    However, it is what it is & it is comfortable to use, it's a little bit on the long side for my personal taste but the hourglass shape is one I find works best for me.

Pippi, Sunshine8 and Donna like this.
  7. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Sorry, I couldn't see the detail till I clicked on the image. Thanks Noe.

Pippi and Noe like this.
  8. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Yeah, I like that shape too. I really dislike the thick straight sided cylindrical ones. Each to their own though I guess.

Pippi and Noe like this.
  9. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

I just don't like metal drip tips full stop no matter what shape. But it looks like an interesting tank and coil combo. Are the coils interchangable between the two tanks Noe?

10. Noe

The Soter & Nano use different shaped coil heads but the Nano coils are compatible with the Mini & Hygeia V2 tanks made by Ceravape.

11. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I'm really interested in these but I don't want to get into a device that I can't get anywhere in Australia, and can't get replacement coils either. The dollar is too weak, and it's annoying having to buy from OS from vendors I've never even heard of.

I might email VapeKing and ask if they will get them in.

Pippi and Nico and Laughter like this.
  12. Noe

I was told of this Aussie vendor by the manufacturer but I was waiting for them to list the product before posting thier links here :
    http://southerncrossvapers.com.au/c...ano-ceramic-coil-adjustable-airflow-tank.html Nano tank, $10.95 Au
    http://southerncrossvapers.com.au/c...o-ceramic-dual-replaceable-coil-5-x-pack.html replacement head 5 pack $23.95 Au
    Of course you will need to add shipping costs to those prices but they are available in at least 1 Aussie vendor's store now :D

Pippi, Jennifer and Judith like this.
  13. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Very inexpensive. I thought the $10.95 must have been a typo and if the coils last for a long time then they are cheap too. Interesting.

Pippi and Noe like this.
  14. Noe

Yes inexpensive, coils last for 3 months so the manufacturers says but I personally think they could last longer, if you rebuild the coil & Kanthal wire is very cheap.
    The wicks are the (somewhat) unknown variable but if they can continue to work indefinitely, like I think they possibly can, then I see no reason to need to buy a lot of replacement coils, instead buy a roll of 28G Kanthal for $10(ish) & you have a 2+ year supply of rebuilt coils.

Judith likes this.
  15. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Great! Thanks Noe, I will definitely order one to try. What a great idea making the tank really cheap and long lasting coils. Basically turning around the standard idea of investing in a tank and then going through countless cheap coils forever more.

Are there any safety issues with ceramic? Like inhaling dodgy particles or anything? I would imagine they are safer than silicon and probably cotton as well?

Pippi, Nico and Laughter and Noe like this.
  16. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Damn, the tanks are out of stock! :steam:

But this vendor stocks the new Innokin Endura T18 starter kit!!! Which is awesome because I wanted to try those as well. But now I'll have to wait till they get the Ceravape clearo back in stock. What a pain, I'm bloody impatient.

Pippi likes this.
  17. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

This vendor looks quite good. And they have everything I normally order all on one website, so I don't have to get stuff from three different vendors.

I like the way he has a lot of newby friendly stuff, and doesn't just cater for the sub ohm hobbyist nuts. I'm impressed.

Pippi, margyb, Judith and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I just called him about the Ceravape tank being out of stock. He said it had only left China yesterday, he had made two big orders and they only sent one of them (so he has the coils) but not the other. Probably won't be here till after Xmas.

But I chatted to him for quite a while, Ceravape had told him that you did this review Noe so he knew your name, and I told him about this forum. He said he has stayed away from forums and closed the facebook page because it's a lot of extra work. He was very pleasant and I was satisfied with his answers to all my questions. He said he'd been using the other Ceravape tank that has the same coils and he's really impressed with the flavour. Reckons it's about 30% better than anything he's tried to date. So I'm pretty excited about this tank now.

I'm going to order the Endura T18 kit today. Apparently they are getting the bigger version, the T22(ml) soon as well.

Edit: the Endura starter kit is $44.95.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    DogMan and Judith like this.
  19. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Pippi likes this.
  20. Noe

Jen if you want you could pop around & borrow my Nano, until you can get yours delivered, just so you can try it out :)

IMO the solid Ceramic wick is safer than cotton & obviously safer than silica. There's no dodgey particles, think of it like a coffee cup, its a similar kind of thing, except that the ceramic wick is porous to allow juice to come through it where a coffee cup is not.

Pippi and Jennifer like this.