1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning disposable VOCC Coils?

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by Cloudy, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Because of Chinese New year (yeah blame someone else) I am worried about my supply of VOCC coils for my Emow.

I have kept all the used ones which last me about a week before they get a tinny sort of taste, make the atty very hot and generally don't produce much vapour. I pulled one apart that had a damaged O ring and was amazed by the amount of black gunk inside!

I ran the rest of em under hot water and soaked them for about 12 hours. There were lots of black bits coming off. I pulled another one apart but it was still filled with black gunk and the metal of the coils was coated in black gunk.

So then I boiled em with a 50/50 mix of Vinegar and water. Let em soak for a few hours and pulled another one apart. The cotton was brown (as opposed to black) and no obvious chunks of black gunk but the metal of the coils was still black and the cotton was partially disintegrated.

So it seems I can improve them but not actually restore them to usability.

Has anyone else tried to clean disposable coils?

Have you had any success?

emu likes this.
  2. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Yes, dont use water - soak in vodka or gin for a day or two - give them a good swirl and air dry for another couple of days - not as good as a new coil and these days I just replace them - but it will get you through.

emu, Nico and Laughter and Cloudy like this.
  3. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Thank You but We don't keep that kind of hard liquor in the house!

But this may be an excellent excuse, can you drink it afterwards and call it an energy drink?

Judith, Pippi and emu like this.
  4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

An ultrasonic jewelry cleaner will help. Warm acidulated water (vinegar/ lemon juice etc) 70/30 water/acid ultrasonic bath first, followed by a 2min soak in water (to get the acid out), then a vodka bath & cycle in the ultrasonic cleaner which will get the water out of the wicks & clean it further.
    Then you can put the coils in the oven with the power on as low as it will go & the door open, to speed up the drying process, be careful you don't melt/burn rubber seals though, yo ujust want to get the vodka to evaporate, which it will at 60 degrees C quite fast. Alternatively you can use a hair dryer & a pair of pliers (or similar) so you don't burn your fingers/hand with the hot air.
    Or you can just let them sit for 24hrs in a warm room

That is the best way I have been able to clean prebuilt coils & if you don't have/dont want to use vodka you can give them a 2nd cycle with fresh water/acid bath, then soak after that but the vodka does help get them cleaner & usable sooner because water stays in the wick longer.

Usually though I use rebuildables & just throw old cotton wick out, dry burn coils & add new wick, fill & vape, too easy :D

emu and Cloudy like this.
  5. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Sure :rofl::rofl::rofl: Seriously if you worried you might run out soak them in vodka otherwise google the name someone in Aus is bound to stock them.

emu and Cloudy like this.
  6. Nico and Laughter

What ohms do you vape?

7. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

The coils are rated 1.5

Pippi likes this.
  8. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Thank You for the advice. I will get to the point of rebuildable but I am not ready just yet. I have a Nebox on order that comes with a rebuidable deck thingy (did you notice the cool use of correct jargon?)

I think I am still a week or two from DIY coils but I am sure to need advice then. Hope I can call on you folks for advice.

Oh I love that word acidulated...

emu likes this.
  9. Nico and Laughter

emu, Pippi and Cloudy like this.
  10. Nico and Laughter

I tend to be lazy and just buy new coils but vodka always worked the best for me.

emu, Pippi and Cloudy like this.
  11. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Thank You, I am such a tight arse, I hate spending a cent more than I have to.

In this case I will just have to bite the bullet. If I have no success cleaning them I will make an order from vv in three days time. Cheers.

emu, Pippi and Nico and Laughter like this.
  12. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

I'm thinkin the second part of that sentence has nothing to with the first...

Nico and Laughter, emu and Noe like this.
  13. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

VV posts out super fast, yep you will have to pay postage but you might find something else tempting in the store to make it worthwhile paying the postage :)

Cloudy and emu like this.
  14. emu

emu Banned

You may as well get a few boxes to save multiple postage costs

Cloudy and Aqualung like this.
  15. Nico and Laughter

It's
    Lol just another example of my laziness!

16. Nico and Laughter

I got a massive buz out of building my own coils. They look so cool and the thing is they have more flavour hands down than any stock coil I have ever tried. I think the rebuildable deck thingy in the nebox is the same one thats in the newer subtanks. If so it is an absolute pleasure to build with the easiest one I've used and excellent flavour too.

Don't be scared to have a go it's a lot easier than you might think.

Noe and Cloudy like this.
  17. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Right Choice Vapes is one of our vendors and is on the Gold Coast. Apparently you can arrange a pick-up. Don't know if they sell the coils you need though, I'm not familiar with the Emow.

Cloudy likes this.
  18. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

If you're a tight arse, like me, then I recommend going to rebuildables ASAP. Its got to the point where you dont have to even wind you're own coils anymore. Can buy prebuilt at 30 to 50 cents each. I mostly wind my own tho.

Cloudy likes this.
  19. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Thanks, hadn't come across them before and they do have my coils at a good price and do local pick up. Great!

20. Nico and Laughter

Right choice vapers are really awesome. I can't recomend them highly enough.

Judith likes this.