Cleaning RBA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Gasman, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I have been cleaning some rbas that I have been meaning to do for a while now. When I took the Tobecco Kayfun lite clone apart it shocked me. The coil and cotton were jet black as if I had been vaping oil! Now it has been sitting there for about 2 weeks, very lazy of me I know. I know I was only vaping a renowned Aussie vendors doubler in it for about 2 weeks. I would rather not name the vendor in case of causing offence. In as much to say the juice is not at fault, Im sure and it was not a net.This one wasnt for me but each to their own as the saying goes . I have also being using it in other Clearos so I am positive it's not the juice. Could this be down to my laziness in leaving it for too long before cleaning it? Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can offer an explanation. Thanks.

2. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

Gasman,it's just normal mate. Some juices make coils and wicks gunk up quicker than others.
    I try to re wick ,dry burn all mine on a weekly basis. Some do them much more often. Mine are always black as.
    Usually not the whole wick though, just where it goes through and touches the coil etc .

Kaoself likes this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Thanks Jerry, it's just something that I have not experienced before to that extent. Shocked me a bit to think I was vaping of that. I think in future I shall keep my housekeeping in better order!

4. Kaoself

Kaoself New Member

I rewick and dry burn the KF4 every 1-3 tanks depending on the juice, so every day or two, and the 3.1 every 2 ish tanks, so about 4 days.
    Once I ran a KFL for about 6 weeks on the same wick, just to see how long it could last. That was high pg juice from Mr E Liquid. The worst juice for coil gunking I have is Acrae Vapor's Zen. It is max vg and has honey in it, so it caramelises quickly, and just one tank of about 3ml is enough to gunk up a coil enough to severely reduce it's performance to unenjoyable levels.

I seriously can't understand how some people can run the same coil in an Atlantis or similar changing juices for a month. They can't even tell sometimes which juice they're vaping at the time.

5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I apologise for resurrecting this thread but personally I've decided to change my methods in regards to the length of time I use an RTA.
    I have been using the existing build for an average of two weeks unless I notice a change of taste etc.
    It's just a habit I formed and didn't really ever have a problem that I noticed.

Today I decided to give the Merlin a go and therefore put the Lemo 2 aside for a clean and again didn't expect to see the state of the coil and wick.

Therefore I'm now limiting my duration of using a build to a week regardless.
    I have been using one of my 'no idea' dregs mixes which was very nice so perhaps that played a part but either way it's time for a change I think.

DogMan and RC. like this.
  6. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Those Lemo 2 atties are still one of my favourite vapes.

I have heaps of atties but always have a couple of those on the go.

I even bought another one the other week, in case they disappear from the scene.

Aqualung, Gasman, Flea and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'd forgotten how much I liked it to be honest.

I haven't been tempted by the third reincarnation though as it just didn't appeal.

RC. likes this.
  8. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I agree, not much in the vape world inspires me enough to purchase these days.

I have bought a few things that were hyped a bit and although they were ok, even rather good,

there was always a little disappointment there after the build up that had me fantasising about unsurpassed vaping pleasure.

So much choice for things which seem to have reached a plateau, but it is a rather high plateau these days.

As for cleaning, I just go by taste.

emu, Gasman and Noe like this.
  9. DogMan

DogMan Butler

What wire are you using? SS is notorious for premature death, others like titanium last eons.

Wicking to optimal tightness in the coil is important too, too loose will degrade coils quick.

And some flavours, and high VG kill coils quicker too.

emu and Gasman like this.
  10. Aqualung

Aqualung Senior Member

Me too. Good reliable workhorse.

Flea and RC. like this.
  11. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

If the gunk is on the coil & in the wick, then it's not in your lungs, in other words they are doing their job ;)

I agree with @RC. I go by taste, if the flavour starts to taste "dirty", I know the build is in need of attention. However even a dirty build has to be better, to vape on for a few days, than even 1 puff on a cancer stick is for us!

Case in point, I changed the wicks in my Limitless Plus RDTA on Friday, I had noticed they were getting a bit dark looking on the Monday but the flavor was still good, so I made a note on Monday to change them "soon".
    By Thursday they were just starting to taste a bit dirty, I didn't have time to do a re-wick so I just filled the tank enough to get me through to Friday evening, because I didn't want to have to siphon the juice out too.
    Those wicks had been in there almost 4 weeks!
    When I took them out & inspected them, the inner cotton was still rather clean, the cotton that had come in contact with the coils was a bit black & worse for wear but the vape being produced was still passable & not at all to the point of yuck, as you get with really dirty coils.
    I put this down to using coils with a large (3.5mm) inner diameter, because with the large bore you can use thicker wicks, the thicker the wick the more gunk it can absorb before going "bad". Usually with my old builds, which had a 2mm or 2.5mm bore on the coils, I'd be changing wicks far more frequently, because they would start to taste "dirty" sooner, so I am convinced larger bores on your coils are a good thing.

I really like the Lemo2, I only have the one, I should probably aquire another one but I have so many atties I like that see little use & now that I have fallen in love with the Limitless Plus RDTA & other RDTAs similar (mainly the new Ijoy ones), I think I have found my sweetspot or vaping nirvana. It would have to be a very very very good bottom coil RTA to get me to like it more than the Limitless RDTA style of atty.

emu, Gasman and RC. like this.
  12. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Just plain old 26g kanthal.

Unfortunately the juice is a mystery as it was one of my @@@@ knows mixes but I doubt if it was too high in VG.
    I'm guessing 40-50%?

emu, Noe and DogMan like this.
  13. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

When you leave a used build in a tank, with juice still in it, while not using it, the wick & coil get blacker over time due to oxidation.
    I have seen it happen to some of my old atties, that when I left them to test another atty, were still quite clean looking builds but a few weeks later were darker/dirtier looking.
    The longer you leave the wick & coil wet with juice, unused, the more air will get to it & cause oxidation/blackening.

emu, DogMan and Gasman like this.
  14. emu

emu Banned

Good point about the inner diameter, it gives you more contact area and bigger flavor. I even notice it with unflavoured being sweeter and more cloud with a bigger nic hit.

Easier to work with a bigger coil and tune the hotspots out as well as getting the wick spot on.