Dave Dorn: Stop blaming Big Tobacco - it's BIG PHARMA wants ecigs gone

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by The Vaper, Jan 5, 2017.

1. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

From the latest blog of Dave Dorn: Stop blaming Big Tobacco - it's BIG PHARMA wants ecigs gone

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Judith and Jerry Hatrick like this.
  2. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I puzzled over this bit until I realised big pharma's largely ineffective NRT products had already been approved (and often approved for subsidisation) as only being slightly more effective than unassisted cold-turkey. So they don't want to give the impression they would like to permanently maintain smokers on NRT, just to have them try & fail (within the 12 month limit) multiple times. 10 failures of 9 months each is still a bucket load of NRT they can sell to each smoker (before tempting them with a 'new & improved blueberry flavour' NRT, in any case).

Jerry Hatrick likes this.
  3. James P

James P Senior Member

I've thought this for years, and don't really know why a lot of vapers go on about BT when it's clearly BP that is out to get vaping.

You only have to look at the Lung Associations and Foundations that are constantly using the media to criticise vaping. They're all being funded by Pharma. In fact they're the PR arm of Pharma.

taffyjock, Jennifer and The Vaper like this.
  4. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

While I agree that Big Pharma represents a far more 'clear and present danger' to vaping, I also believe that Big Tobacco is no friend of vapers. It seems to me that BT wants one or more of a combination of things:
    • To kill vaping completely, so smokers tend to stick with smoking. (And given that's likely not going to happen..)
    • To make the market so restrictive that only sealed (e.g. cigalike), limited strength choice, limited flavour options, largely ineffective BT products can remain on the market. This way they can lock smokers into their own product & refills, and welcome them back with open arms when they decide that "vaping doesn't work" for them.
    • Compete e-cigs out of the market with products like iQos (an heat-not-burn technology) which are more likely (IMO) to get a smoker completely off smoking, but likewise lock the user into products from BT ("use only with our genuine tobacco pods"). They also seem to have no qualms about getting the HNB tech. included under standard tobacco taxes & place of use restrictions (to butter up the legislators).
    We also must remember that BT has taken a hush-hush approach as over time their ads & display were banned, and they also included in the Master Settlement Agreement a clause where they stopped criticising (or refuting) Tobacco Control in public. As a result I think they're much less likely to be openly critical of e-cigs. But they are still sidling up to legislators and having quiet words in their ear to the detriment of (open system) vaping. One company (forget which) put submissions to the FDA to completely ban open systems in their Deeming Regulations.

Judith likes this.
  5. James P

James P Senior Member

Yes, I don't doubt that BT is trying to control the market. That's what big corporations always do. But it's up to the consumer to demand choice and quality. Sometimes we win, sometimes we don't.

But in Australia the whole discussion about reduced risk products is being completely shut down, for small vaping suppliers and BT alike. That's coming from the pharma lobby and their PH buddies.

Besides, there's no point in BT controlling the market in Australia with their heat sticks if the primary ingredient is still extortionately taxed, it just won't work. The people who matter can't afford their product.

Jennifer likes this.