DIY Tips 'N Tricks

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by Tara, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Tara

Tara Member

I thought it would be handy to make a thread for people to post some of their DIY tips n Tricks.

Aimed mostly at the new vaper but also handy for everyone.

I will start off by mentioning a couple of things that save time for me.

Something that I found easier is when using syringes to measure out my VG/PG, flavour concentrates and nicotine, instead of drawing
    the stuff up out of the bottle, I remove the plunger and turn them upside down. I put my finger over the tip and just pour the stuff in the
    end and measure from there. The VG is so thick that you have enough time to take your finger off the tip and put it over the bottle without
    losing anything. For everything else I put a drawing up tip on before putting the liquid in then just put my finger over the tip of that. Then
    with the tip lined up with the opening on the bottle, I put the plunger in and push it down to empty it. With some of the thinner liquids
    it starts to empty on its own. The plunger just helps it along quicker and gets the remaining drops out.

If you are using a high strength nicotine it is a good idea to wear gloves. The amount you would get on your skin by
    holding your finger over the drawing up tip is not great but its better to be safe incase you have an accident. Its recommended to wear
    gloves when dealing with high strength nic regardless of how you decant it.

One of the main reasons I like to pour into the bottom is because I reuse my syringes. Even though I wash them thoroughly, I feel like
    I am contaminating the whole bottle when I dip them in to draw the liquid up. Doing it this way takes care of that.

Recently I was thinking there must be an easier way to pour the stuff into the end of the syringes and I came across these at the Red Dot
    store. They are soap dispensers and were $2 each. I bought one each for my PG, VG and Nicotine.
    [​IMG]

I labelled them accordingly and I keep my Nicotine one in the fridge and the other two in an esky with my other juices and concentrates.

Now I just squirt the liquid into the end of the syringe and its so little trouble. So far it has been working out great. The only downside I
    have found is if you want to close the bottle off you need to push down on the pump which is going to cause stuff to go everywhere. I
    haven't been closing them properly but I have been taking the pump out and emptying it back into the bottle so it doesn't drip and also
    so when I use it next I don't just get stuff thats been sitting in the tube. I guess when I do that I could always lock it, but I just thought
    of that as I was typing so I will try that next time and see if it works out OK :D

I imagine a large bottle with a twist to close cap like a sauce bottle would also be good. May be a bit messier though. Something like this.....
    [​IMG]

A bit long winded but thats a couple that save me some stuffing around.
    Hopefully others can share some of their tips :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Nice idea for a thread, thanks.

One small tip - for a small and cheap funnel.

Grab a couple of those "spouts" that go on the end of caulking guns the next time you are in Bunnings. The pouring spout end will need to be cut with a knife. Makes for a handy funnel that fits nicely into the top of my juice bottles.

rupert, Nunga and Judith like this.
  3. Tara

Tara Member

DaveJ and Catweazle like this.
  4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

The sauce bottle is a good tip, thanks for that. I use the fill from the wrong end of the syringe method for VG after someone told me about it too. It saved my sanity.

Nunga likes this.
  5. Tara

Tara Member

Its so much easier isnt it. Especially once you get used to doing it and its not as messy :D
    I'm really enjoying using the pump bottles because you can have so much control over the amount that comes out. Its very easy to
    add just a couple of drops as well as a fill a syringe.

I probably should have mentioned before that putting poisons in bottles that usually contain foodstuffs is probably not ideal if you
    have small/children or to keep it well out of reach if you do. It should really go without saying though :)

Judith likes this.
  6. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I went camping once with some other people and put a bit of washing-up detergent in a sauce bottle because I was in a hurry. Had a major panic when I realised someone had grabbed it. Learnt my lesson even though they were all adults. Could have ruined someone's sausages. I will try the pump bottle. I thought VG might be too thick but I guess some soapy things and sauces are thick too

Tara likes this.
  7. DogMan

DogMan Butler

just guess

if it is crap, you just HTFU and vape it, or add mint to kill the taste. too many princesses around

Flea, Maggie, Tara and 1 other person like this.
  8. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

LOL that would be one of my tips too. If it is disgusting mix it with another disgusting one and sometimes magic happens.

DogMan likes this.
  9. Catweazle

Catweazle Minion

Tara, Judith and DaveJ like this.
  10. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

I found this quite interesting and could be good info for a new mixer, ever tho he dose tend to ramble a bit :p

11. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Here are some additional tips - Some more advanced

• Don't use Nicotine when developing flavours. Only use it once you have perfected a given flavour
    • Try to limit the amount of flavours you create at any given time and develop each one separately as apposed to adding additional flavors. Perfect each profile and then make more complex mixes
    • For extra TH and flavour, you can add a few drops of PGA or Vodka - 4-5 drops per 10 ml
    • Keep mixes in glass if using alcohol
    • Let new mixes breath (cap and nipple off) for up to 12 hours and then keep in dark cool cupboard
    • Every day or 2 shake bottles for up to 2 minutes
    • Never introduce heat to a mix (a mild warm water bath is okay)
    • Keep a record of mixing on a pad, do not rely on software
    • Explore using additives if mixing Tobacco vapes. Examples are Vinegar, Hickory Smoke, TFA Smooth, Acetyl Pyrazine, Ethyl Maltol (EM), FA MTS Vape Wizard, Saline ( NaCl 0.09% from a pharmacy)
    Edit for correction:
    1) I no longer suggest Breathing in most circumstances.
    2) Remember that the longer the steep, the less percentage of concentrated flavour needed. (A guide only)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    rupert, crispernator and Wanda like this.