1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

does it change the flavor ?

Discussion in 'Juice Chat' started by crispernator, Oct 24, 2016.

1. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

Hi all question to the gurus of diy does the percentage of pg/vg affect the flavor of a juice ,just flashed into my tiny brain and thought i need an answer to this !

2. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

VG is quite sweet.

Sharp tones come out more with PG.

3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

The far more knowledgeable will assist you soon I'm sure but I completely agree with Dogman.

In my opinion I can definitely taste a sweeter mix if I mix with more VG. I've actually experimented with this with the same mix at the same time but swapped the PG/VG ratios around and came to that conclusion. It's a general consensus on forums etc but I wanted to 'experience it myself '.

In fact I thought I preferred a higher PG but after vaping some of the American juices I recently bought I'm back on the fence.

I had been dropping my mixes from 70PG to 60 or even 50 prior but might try a bit lower again.
    The problem is I don't really like the extra clouds a higher VG produces more so for the telling off I get at home!

crispernator likes this.
  4. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

I'm no expert but have been testing my mix to find the right ratio for myself and the juice I mix. As @DogMan mentioned VG is quite sweet, smooth and creates a lot of clouds but mute the flavours. PG is harsh and gives you that throat Hit but carries the flavours more.
    With my mixing, if I have a ratio of 50/50 I get more flavor than if I were to use 30/70 unless I add more % of concentrate to compensate for the flavor lose from the higher VG.
    I tend to do 40/60 for nice flavors and smooth vape. At the moment I'm vaping unflavored 50/50 to try it out and wow it has a sweet taste to it but I like it.

Sorry that this isn't a straight "yes/no" answer.

@rupert @Noe waiting for expertise :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    crispernator likes this.
  5. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

PG is better for flavor intensity.
    VG is better for sweeter tasting juice.

If you used the same amount of identical flavoring in a 100% PG base & also in a 100% VG base, the flavor would be similar but different in both batches. The VG juice would taste sweeter & the PG juice would taste more flavorful but the underlying flavor would be the same.

6. Noe

If it's the sweetness you are chasing, rather than the clouds, you could try adding 1 drop of EM to 4 drops of PG (so a 20% EM dilution) in a small bottle. Then use that to add a drop or two to a 30ml juice to add some sweetness without making it overly sweet & test vape it them add a few drops more until you work out the right level of sweetness.
    The reason I say to make the dilution, is because EM may be too sweet for some flavors, if it is used in its usual strength, even with just 1 drop.

Gasman and crispernator like this.
  7. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

IMO the short answer is yes.

Higher PG mixes will have a more potent hit of flavour (if using the same levels of concentrates), whereas (as others have noted) VG dominant miss will be somewhat sweeter.
    My better half calls the VG taste "vape taste".

8. Noe

The short answert is not precise enough though.
    The actual flavor doesnt change but the sweetness/intensity does.
    It's quite an interesting question, the real answer is, no, because the flavor doesn't change but the taste does change. It's not the flavor that is changing, it is how we perceive taste & flavor that makes it appear to change.