1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragonfruit

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by Gasman, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'm guessing Rupert will be all over this.:hi:

I'm reading a lot of good opinions of TFA dragonfruit as a flavour that helps to blend other flavours together.
    A few I've read have said that it doesn't even have to be fruit flavours.

This is one I've always skipped over without a second glance but I really enjoyed a bottle of genuine Mothers Milk that I brought back from the USA and noticed that some (but not all clone) recipes seem to include it.

Has anybody used it and can I ask for your opinions?

2. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

I haven't used it but I have eaten it in thaialnd last june cant really say it had a lasting impression on my taste buds

3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Sounds ominous.

I was in Penang a couple of years ago and a fruit called durian was being sold just about everywhere.
    A playful warning was given about its taste which apparently some love but most don't.
    The very smell of it put me off and I wasn't brave enough.

Imagine socks that have been worn for a year,never washed and stored at the bottom of a sceptic tank and you'd be somewhat close.

crispernator likes this.
  4. crispernator

Ahh yes the durian ,I was in davoa in the phillipines when they held the durian festival around 2006 they will not let you take them into hotels or on bussesand in Singapore I believe there is a fine attached as well ,taste like heaven smells like hell ,I have seen them for sale in woolworths here .

5. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

I used it in the Mother's milk clones, but when I tested it as a single flavour, I liked.

So I made a Dragonfruit cream...yum!

Gasman likes this.
  6. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

@Gasman Love Dragonfruit.

The TFA version is great, and I use it a lot in various recipes (one of my mates uses in a dragon-cake recipe which is also quite nice).
    But..... The Inawera version is amazing! Id take the INW over TFA if I could, though, both have their place.

The flavour is sweet, tropical (think a mix of pear, lychee and cactus), tangy, and can really lift a mix well.
    For example, Fizzmustard used it in his NanaCream Clone (a quite famous recipe in DIY circles) to provide more punch to the banana.
    Some use in with strawberry to give more tang to the fruit portion of a mix.

I use it in a lot of recipes including my Cactus Apple, a Tropical Sherbet, among others.

Oh also - Durian. I love durian.
    I have an INW concentrate that is meant to be durian/jackfruit, but it tastes like durian smells, so can't be used...... Not without an exorcism anyways... :D

If you are thinking about getting the TFA Dragonfruit, I would say definitely go for it!
    It holds its own as a stand alone flavour, and is amazingly versatile in mixes.
    You won't regret it!

Gasman and crispernator like this.
  7. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

I just ordered some on Friday ive got a few recipes that i want to give a go that calls for it that i found on line

Pirple drink
    Tfa dragon fruit %6
    Tfa grape juice %8
    I got go vape grape its really strong so will drop % to 3 and add some cotten candy as well at.5% just to help sweeten it a bit

Dragon blood
    Tfa strawberry ripe %4
    Tfa dragon fruit %10
    Tfa Bavarian cream %2
    Vanilla swirl %3
    Cotten candy %1

rupert and crispernator like this.
  8. crispernator

I have seen it on juice factories web site let us know how it turns out might be worth investigation

rupert likes this.
  9. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Cheers Rupert (and everybody else).

That's another one to the want list. That list only ever seems to grow.

When I have some reliable money coming in again I'm going to be skint for a long time!

Judith and rupert like this.
  10. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Mixed the TFA Dragonfruit at 10% and find it quite refreshing and almost a bit fizzy?

I've no idea where the fizz is coming from and am convinced my taste buds are beyond repair as I've not read anybody else giving this opinion.

As a standalone I find it a tad bland but reckon it could give something to some concoctions. I do get a slight strawberry taste but overall I'm glad it's in my collection.

rupert likes this.
  11. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Im loveing this as well at the moment, my purple drink and the red drink where awesome! goning to add a bit of pomegranate in with it i think it will be just what it needs,and on friday going to give dragon blood clone a go as well now i have all the flavors o need, hope its a good one

12. crispernator

Dont forget to tell us what your dragon blood is like sounds very interesting

13. Casper80

Casper80 Member

Haha durian is awesome... I wish i could find the concentrate for it

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

14. crispernator

durian is smelly hahahaa

Casper80 likes this.
  15. Casper80

Casper80 Member

Hahaha it is an acquired taste... If i managed to find the concentrate imagine the reaction ppl would have when i vape it lol

16. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Inawera and TFA both make a Jackfruit concentrate.
    I love Jackfruit and Durian, but the concentrate is horrible. It tastes and vapes like it smells..... It works OK in some mixes at low percentages, but to me is more like a dark sour tobacco-y type flavour than anything else.

I can only assume that if there is a durian concentrate out there, it won't be nice.

Casper80 likes this.
  17. Casper80

Casper80 Member

Oh thanks for the info Rupert