DripBox 160 - modding to take Super soft silicone bottles

Discussion in 'Modding and Technical' started by Noe, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Ever since I got my DB160, I had a problem with the bottles provided, IMO they are complete rubbish & leave a plastic taste in your vape. No matter what I tried to get rid of that plastic taste, it didn't work for more than a few days at best (boiling the bottle in a pot of water for 5 -10 minutes helped but the taste returned).

So I decided to try using these super soft silicone bottles:
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/7762301
    If you are going to try this, I recommend getting at least 2 or 3 (like I did), in case there is any problems but they also come in a pack of 5 if you want to save some $ & have more spares.

First thing you need to unscrew the top section & put it aside, you don't need the hose or the top metal parts:

[​IMG]

This shows the bottles are close enough to the same size, although the bottle necks are quite different in size & shape:

[​IMG]

Next you need to remove the old bottle, pull down the built in bottle "cap" to the bottom of the tube & remove this hard silicone piece from the top of the tube end:

[​IMG]

This shows where that piece sits into, using a small jewelers screwdriver to pry it out, carefully, took a few minutes. In the top pic you can also see the ridge on the top of the bottle cap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With that done you can fit the new bottle over the built in bottle cap, which has a ridge on the top of it, that ridge is what is going to make the seal so it needs to be a couple of mm into the neck of the bottle. Getting this in the first time was made easier by using the jewelers screwdriver to gently force the ridge into the neck, after that it went in easier by itself:

[​IMG]

Without removing that hard silicone piece from the DB160, this is as far as the bottle will go in, which leaves it sticking out a bit below the base of the mod & won't allow the bottle cover to be replaced:

[​IMG]

After removing the hard silicone bit, the bottle can fit all the way inside but it requires some gentle pushing & turning (doing both at the same time, in a screwing type action). You need to be gentle, because these bottles are very soft, so with a full bottle you could have juice squirting into the atty & causing a big flooded mess.
    I found holding the bottle at about the shoulders & neck gave the best results when doing this, pushing from the bottom was obviously only going to cause flooding, once the neck & shoulder were too far in to hold, gently holding the body & turning as I lifted seemed to cause less displacement:

[​IMG]

Because this is not going to get the greatest of seals, any juice in the neck of the bottle (like in the pic below) needs to be wiped dry with paper towel or something, before inserting the bottle cap. If you don't the cap can push all the way through the neck & cause a leaky mess:

[​IMG]

For my first test fill I only filled the bottle about 80%, notice I also dried to neck of the bottle completely:

[​IMG]

Here it is fully installed & working just as you'd expect a squonk device should:

[​IMG]

So far so good but I need to test this more over a few days/refills etc. I'm happy to say that the plastic taste is gone completely, in that respect this has been a big success! :party:

This thread has been brought to you by #teamsquonkingpanda :panda:

jobics, DogMan and iamTezr like this.