Electrification of my Man Cave

Discussion in 'The Shed' started by Rayjay, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

When we purchased our property on the NW Tasmanian coast... our dream retirement cottage the lovely double garage had power laid on to it by some rank diy amateur. It was absolutely dangerous. An ordinary extension cord buried underground . Sheesh.

We have considerable amount of power tools both wood working and metal working and this sort of electrification was not only dangerous but totally unsuited.

OK we ripped out this crap dug a 600mm deep trench from the house to the garage
    and called in a professional electrician.

The job took two days to complete with proper 6mm cabling proper circuit breakers and L. E. D. lighting for work benches and fluorescent main light as well as 6 double power points spread around the shed. We can now run all our equipment simultaneously if we so desire but of course we don't.

Thanks be to God that we called in a professional for then it came to install the master circuit breaker in the house fuse box (meter box) a serious and dangerous fault was discovered which could have led to a fire. The previous owner who knew sfa about wiring monkeyed around carelessly with input wiring to the fuses and we saw the under rated input wires starting to burn. Simon, the electrician, rectified this fault immediately and took photos of illegal wiring. The previous owner will be in for a shock and it won't be an electrical one but financial.

This fault could not have been spotted by the property building inspection by qualified inspectors which we paid prior to purchasing unless the fuse panel was dismantled as was needed to fit the master circuit breaker for the garage.

A word to the wise, no matter how good you think you are at electrical matters and I am a qualified radio (two way) repair technician, when it comes to domestic or commercial wiring call in an expert. Yes the project was expensive. Then how much is your life worth and also your belongings?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Flea and KayP like this.
  2. Squid

Squid Member VCA Approved Vendor

I was called out to a house for "getting tingles from the taps" and found the house had no earth stake at all and the plumbing wasnt earthed. Rectified that.
    Several years later had a call from the cops investigating a death at the house.
    The owner had run a twin wire to a carport (again no earth) to wire up a power point.
    Then he rented the place and the tenant was electrocuted when a faulty appliance was plugged in.

Flea and Rayjay like this.
  3. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Mate, you would not believe what some fools do for electrical wiring. The previous idiot owner, just ran an el-chepo extension cord to the shed, burried in a trench. As I said in the original post. No conduit no nothing. FFS what does a 6 meter run of conduit cost. SFA. When we pulled it out of the ground it fell apart. Thanks be to God we never used that thing for shed power. Ok, so the electrician cost us damn near $2k. However we now have a properly equipped shed with its own sub board etc. We can just about run any power tool there now together. Indeed our shed, double garage, was not earthed, it bloody well is now and so is the emergency generator we have in there. A word to the wise, if you use a portable generator in a power black out make sure it is earthed or you might be in for a bit of a buz.

Wonder what happened to that landlord, I hope the c......t was charged with contributory manslaughter:mad:. Electricity is nothing to play with. I am a radio tech, and even with my training, I have been zapped on occasions when being careless. Lol, now the wife understands why I will not allow her into my man cave when I am working on electrical stuff. Distractions, nagging in particular cause accidents.

4. Squid

Squid Member VCA Approved Vendor

nothing worse than a charged capacitor.

never found out about the landlord

5. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Man cave finished. Now to build wood shed. Pics latter. Paid the electricians bill today.
    Nice, money left over to repair caravan gas system.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

6. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Works in progress the building of wood shed made from recycled pallets and timber scavenged from the tip[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

7. Flea

Flea Senior Member

That wood shed should burn nicely in your fireplace.

Rayjay likes this.
  8. emu

emu Senior Member

Your misses has done a great job mate...!

Snidely_Whiplash, Flea and Rayjay like this.
  9. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Heh, yeah it was me that went scrounging for the pallets. LOL, we do not have a tip shop, went to the tip to get rid of some tree trimmings and there was a semi trailer load of excellent packing frame wood from some company in the USA. Real strange wood it was. Not Pinus Crapus, like we normally see. Spent three days breaking it up and de nailling and if we had to buy this sort of timber it would have cost us in the vicinity of $350.00 Also scored 45 sheets of corrugatated iron roof sheeting from a guy that was renovating. The Penguin / Duck has been very busy.

emu and Flea like this.
  10. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

No way, we make a lot of stuff from recycled pallets @Flea . Merchants have to pay to get rid of them, they welcome us with open arms when we show up.
    What we do not use, yes does go into the fire place as kindling only. You have to be careful burning pinewood as it can soot up the chimney and if you do not clean it on a regular basis then chimney fires are no fun. Our chimney is easy to clean, nice and straight and I got some chimney cleaning brushes and do it myself. Easy As.
    As to recycled building materials, it is unbelievable what people throw out. If we had a bigger yard I would start my own recycling building material shop. Like @emu with his recycled mowers. Lol.

emu likes this.
  11. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Not much progress on the wood shed I'm afraid our rains certainly have put a dampener on construction. The roof beams are finished, and if it does not pour this arvo or tomorrow the roof sheeting may go on. The :ranga:is not happy with the weather. Been a real Mrs Grump for a week :hide::violin::hide:

12. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

At long last with the break in the weather the wood shed is complete. The corrigated iron roof was my project as the boss does not like heights. Now to empty the other shed and piles of wood under tarps and fill er up.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flea, Snidely_Whiplash and emu like this.