Firmware updates

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by vapeman88, Oct 30, 2016.

1. vapeman88

vapeman88 New Member

Does anyone else have trouble updating firmware on either the smok alien or wismec releaux 75? Don't know if it's just my USB port on the computer or not. It won't detect either mod when trying to update.

emu likes this.
  2. emu

emu Banned

I had no trouble with the Pico's vapeman88, Maybe try another cable like one that come with your smartphone or check to see if you need any special drivers installed on your computer first.

Also don't forget to unzip the firmware files to somewhere you know how to get to.

What computer are you using?

3. vapeman88

vapeman88 New Member

Thanks for your reply emu. I'm using a Toshiba laptop, I've tried 3 different cords from phones ect and no luck what do you mean by drivers? Tia.

4. emu

emu Banned

Depends what software you are running on the laptop, I would have thought windows would install the device driver software automatically though.
    You can check by opening the "Device Manager "in windows and seeing if there is a yellow exclamation mark some where down the list of installed devices, if there is then you will have to update the driver for that device.

Did you make sure the mod was turned on before connecting it?

margyb and Noe like this.
  5. vapeman88

vapeman88 New Member

Well it was all working after using another computer as it was the USB port being the problem but now as I went to download the update it's shit itself and says it can't open the file or some shit now my mod is stuck on "updating" screen and I can't do shit with it! Beyond pissed off. Have taken the batteries out ect and it's now a paperweight!!!

6. emu

emu Banned

First time I've heard of a Bricked Mod, spose it was bound to happen sooner or later.
    Might have to go back to that other computer and have a go vapeman, if that doesn't work then back to the manufacturer for a reboot maybe.

vapeman88 likes this.
  7. vapeman88

vapeman88 New Member

Yea thanks emu I'm just gonna keep it for spares and buy another. Half the problem was my shit computer so for $70 I'm not gonna worry about it I'll just have replacement parts which will come in handy. When they come back in stock I'm going to get an x cube ultra as well.

emu likes this.
  8. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Go to 18:45 & watch how to install the firmware, your "bricked" Alien is not dead, it can be revived by updating the firmware correctly.

MetalOz, The Vaper, margyb and 2 others like this.
  9. vapeman88

vapeman88 New Member

Thanks noe, I've watched that and have tried updating both ways but it just won't turn on. It use to light up and look like it was charging when the USB was connected but it acts like its dead flat and no matter what button combination I try it just won't budge. I would like to know more about sending away for a factory reboot tho. I asked about warranty as it's only 4 days old but that will be hard to obtain/honour apparently.

10. Noe

Shouldn't be hard to get warranty on a product purchased only 4 days ago, espescially in Australia!
    What was the reason given for it being difficult to honor?

I think you're in Qld or East coast somewhere anyway, if you were in Perth I'd tell you to bring it around & let me try to revivie it for you. I'm not an expert & never done a firmware upgrade on a mod but my PC is more than capable of upgrading firmware through USB, I am sure I wouldn't have any problem unless there is something wrong with the mod itself.

The Vaper and vapeman88 like this.
  11. emu

emu Banned

Yeah I would have a go on a good computer if you have access to one .
    Download the original firmware and the latest version, open it , hold the trigger and plug the USB in.

12. vapeman88

vapeman88 New Member

Hey noe thanks for your reply, yes I thought there would be no problem either... but seems to be.. anyway I said not to worry about messing with warranty and I'll just buy another so they are giving me a discount on the new one and rightly so I think, I've spent $480 with them in the last 3 weeks! I'm in nsw, anyway I'm just gonna keep it for parts for the new one. I appreciate all your help.

13. Noe

I still think your mod should be able to be revived, using the second method in that video, take the batteries out, hold the trigger constantly & don't release it until everything is done but you will need access to a PC, I think your laptop may be part of the problem.
    If you have access to a PC & download the proper firmware apps onto it, then follow the instructions in the video, you may just save yourself needing to buy another Alien :)

14. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Sydney? I'm in Redfern and would love to have a crack at helping out. I'm unfamiliar with the mods you mention, but have successfully update the firmware on a couple of eVic VTCs in my possession.

subyXV and Noe like this.