1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Freemax Starre Pure - Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by iamTezr, Dec 26, 2016.

1. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

I was one of the lucky winner from HeavenGifts recent competition. I’ve never tried ceramic coils before so I thought it’ll be interesting to see my point of view on this tank and its ceramic cover coil.

So thank you @heaven gifts

Box and Content

Inside the box you get the Freemax Starre Pure tank along with 2 Ceramic Cover coils (0.25ohm & 0.50 ohm), a spare replacement glass, some spare O-rings and the instruction manual.

[​IMG]

The Atomizer

Taking a closer look at the Freemax Starre Pure tank. It’s a pretty fat tank at 25mm diameter, 64mm tall, can hold 4ml of juice and easily dissemble for cleaning or to replace O-rings or the replacement glass without any hassle.

There’s 2 nice and big juice holes on either sides so there’s no issue with dry hits even when using high VG juice. It has a top AFC with a stopper so you know when you’ve fully opened the airflow to max. Freemax claim this to be a leak-proof design with an easy access top filling, so we shall find out if that’s true.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ceramic Cover Coil (CCC)

Included in the box were 2 Ceramic Cover Coils.

Pre-installed was the 0.25 ohm coil rated up to 70W and the 0.50 ohm coil rated at 20-50W.

Inside these coils are dual kanthal vertical coil setup with Japanese organic cotton and the outside is a ceramic cover housing that helps reduce heat.

These supposedly have a long lifespan with about 60,000 puffs and can be filled 80-100 times.

[​IMG]

The Test

I’ve been testing this tank for over a week using the pre-installed 0.25 ohm coil at a much higher wattage (50w+) than my usual settings which would be around 35W.

I have to say that this tank produces amazing flavours. One of the best flavour tank I’ve tried. There’s just so much flavour on the inhale and exhale. It’s just like you’ve stuffed a whole slice of cake into your mouth and just can’t stop going back for more. This tank is only suited for Direct lung users. With the AFC at minimal you still get a lot of air but due to the airflow design, even at higher wattage the tank doesn’t heat up like many other tanks I’ve tried. The tank does get warm but never hot.

There’s a short ramp time which is great as you get the full vape experience in a short amount of time so there’s no need to wait for the coil to slowly heat up like other tanks. The sweet spot for a nice cool vape for me was about 50W, warmer vape at 55-60W and I even tried at 70W but it was too warm for my liking. The tank creates a decent amount of clouds as well if you’re someone who are chasing after a flavour and cloud tank.

There has been no sign of any leakage after a week usage. I’ve had this tank in my bag lying flat, upside down, tumbled around and yet there’s no sign of any leakage at all. I even left it sit on the side for a couple days with the tank filled all the way to the top and no sign of any leakage. So far so good. The coil still has plenty of life left and I could see myself continue using the same coil for a couple more weeks.

I do find that the drip tip on this tank a bit short for my liking and I had to replace the O-ring on the drip tip after 5 days as it no longer grip onto the drip tip base. Juice consumption on this tank was high, very high. I was going through 15-20ml a day on this tank. At high wattage I was expecting this but to use that much it’s not economical for many. There’s also no RBA deck for this tank. It would be nice to see one with a Ceramic Cover design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Thoughts

Overall, I really do enjoy this tank and it has been a great experience for a first timer using the Freemax Ceramic Cover Coils.

Would I recommend this?

Personally I wouldn’t recommend this for those who buy ready to vape juice as juice consumption is high and can be costly. But for those who does DIY Juice and enjoy a flavoursome vape then it’s worth giving it a try. It does produce great flavour there's no doubt about it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    RC., Gasman, Pippi and 4 others like this.
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Nice review mate :)

I imagine the 0.5 ohm coils would be less thirsty, low ohm/high watts is always going to "drink" juice ;)

*added to reviews directory.

RC. and iamTezr like this.
  3. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

Thanks Noe :)

I didn't get a chance to try out the 0.5 ohm coil but that should lessen the juice consumption.
    I'm only comparing the Freemax Starre Pure 0.25 ohm coil with the Uwell Crown 0.25 ohm coil and the Freemax coil definitely vape much better at higher wattage than lower wattage.
    The uwell 0.25 ohm coil works great at 35w which is under their recommended watt rating and I still get nice flavors and it doesn't drink much either.
    The Uwell Crown RBA works even better :)

It would be nice to see an RBA option for the Freemax Starre Pure. Trying different configurations and coils type can probably help lessen the juice consumption as well. I know there's a Freemax Starre Pro RBA but don't think they're compatible with the Pure.

RC. and Noe like this.
  4. Noe

I don't own a Uwell Crown but I have tried it, with the premade coils, it was ok but I have found other tanks produce better flavor. At the time I was using the Griffin, while my mate had the Crown, both filled with the same juice & the Griffin was producing better flavor.
    The Griffin was pretty good but I found it would start to seep juice from the bottom seals after a few tankfuls, I'd still rather use it than a Crown though.

iamTezr, RC. and Pippi like this.
  5. DogMan

DogMan Butler

[​IMG]

Air should not have to travel that far.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

6. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

That must have taken a fair bit of time to put together and I applaud you for the effort.
    Personally I haven't bought a tank for a good while that either wasn't a dedicated RBA or didn't offer the option.
    For me that's a deal breaker as I don't want to be reliant on coils being available in the future.
    Even my used coils I save to rebuild at a later date if possible.
    Probably just being a tight arse but there you go.

That being said you completed a very good review and for someone looking for a new tank I'm sure they will find it very informative.

iamTezr likes this.
  7. Noe

Top to bottom to top airflow, is not altogether different from bottom to top airflow, when done right.
    The way they have done it in this tank is the right way, much like what Rofvape did on the Witcher tank, pulling the air to the bottom of the tank then back up through the coil, rather than what a lot of top airflow tanks do & merely bounce the air off of the top of the coil.
    The advantages in doing it top to bottom to top are that you get less spit back(compared to top airflow that bounces off the top of the coil), greater leak resistance & similar flavor to what you will get from a bottom to top airflow design.
    IMO, this is the way all airflow should be incorporated into new tank designs, bottom airflow designs often are leaky or build up condensation which seeps out the bottom airflow slots, with this type of top airflow those problems are nearly completely removed.

iamTezr likes this.
  8. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I am imagining that that type of air flow would be a sort of preheating of the incoming air as it has to pass the heated chamber etc. before passing directly over the

coil. Although the diagram says cool and pure.

9. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

My usual vape at 35W heats up my daily tank pretty quick. Hot enough after some chain vape that I don't want to touch it. The Freemax Airflow design is probably to allow more air to flow in to cool the chambers combined with the ceramic cover coil giving you a cool vape. As per my testing at 50W I was having a very enjoyable "cool" vape which I wasn't expecting. The tank wasn't even hot, it was a little warm if anything and I think it's due to the air flow cooling the chambers from the high wattage usage.
    As for "Pure", yes I should have mentioned that in the review that the vape was very clean and pure taste. No funny cotton or additional taste from the coil. I myself am trying to find cottons that can taste this clean. I've tried puff, muji, koh gen do, cotton bacon and some other organic wick materials but they all have this slight taste to them. I have not tried rayon fibre but have heard many good things so I hope that's what I'm looking for.

RC. likes this.
  10. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

Thanks for the compliment
    I did enjoy doing the review. Taking the photos took some time but I thought "a picture is worth a thousand words".

I also find the lack of RBA option is a deal breaker for me with some exception. I like too like to rebuild my own coils to save a few dollar here and there. They do add up buying stock coils and a roll of wire doesn't cost much. You're not a tight arse you just know how to save money from reusing the coil head and prefer to spend your money on those savings on other goodies.

Also after doing my own review I do appreciate more how much work @Noe puts into his reviews.
    Making a video review is much easier but I don't believe you'll get full depth details as it's on the spot reaction/impression of the product and you may miss things on camera. I find it does takes time, a lot of time testing and record your findings in a written review but that's the joy of reviewing a product. So applause to anyone that's written a review for any product

Noe and Pippi like this.
  11. subyXV

subyXV Member

Looks like this will be my next tank. Ive tried the eleaf melo3 and whilst it didnt leak, i found the flavour side of things muted.
    The Freemax doesnt leak (according to varioua reports) and others have also mentioned the flavour side of things. So i just need to save my pennys now ☺☺☺

iamTezr likes this.