Futzing with Trophy icons

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by The Vaper, Jul 7, 2015.

1. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I was looking at the available trophy icons on my profile and the one thing that leaped out at me was the lack of design consistency in the images. If the forum is going to persist with them (I'm not convinced they actually do anything that is good), then perhaps there should be some sort of 'design paradigm' that runs through them.

Here is a range of icons all in the same design in various colors going from gold stars at the top row through bronze stars at the bottom. Perhaps you should consider something along these lines.

[​IMG]

BTW - these were generated by me using Java, and can be declared whatever license suits forum use. They are adjustable, within limits - the limits being my skill (photoshop makes it easy to add amazing effects, but Java code is ..not so easy) and patience (I have little patience for "can you tweak this color a smidge 'happier'").

margyb likes this.
  2. Admin

Admin Senior Member

Wot? My trophies are totally awesome, lol. Actually they're badges, not trophies.

I've only used actual trophy icons for the first two levels. Nothing but trophy cups would be a little boring I think. Whether you had 50 posts or 5000 posts you'd still have the same trophy, just a different colour. They're not supposed to mean anything or do anything. They're just a bit of fun. I wanted to experiment and see if they'd take off and most people seem to have one on their profile now.

Having said all that, your trophies do look rather good. Perhaps I'll wait and see what kind of feedback other members give. You could be right.

Browny, margyb, Judith and 1 other person like this.
  3. MarkAtNeerim

MarkAtNeerim Senior Member

Prefer your trophies Rose, I want to change my name to Veni, Veni Veni....:cancan:maybe not...:)

Browny likes this.
  4. Admin

Admin Senior Member

It's true Andrew. My badges are very random. I could make them all animals or something. My Schmoozer badge is so utterly cool. :banana:

Browny likes this.
  5. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

I only see 'em as a bit of fun.

I can see the idea for a design consistency covering them all...... but it certainly doesn't worry me any, either way.

6. Admin

Admin Senior Member

An animal theme would be ok. Less random, and more fun than cups. Happy to make major changes. I really love working on the smilies and the badges.

DaveJ likes this.
  7. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I can do animals too (see note below). Let me give it a little thought & experimentation.

Note: (TLDR) The important thing I do not have the artistic talent for, is the shapes themselves. I filch those from the way fonts render the Unicode characters. There are characters of all sorts of things, from sports and signs, to food, faces & animals.

Here are some animal profiles, front views and faces.

[​IMG]

8. Admin

Admin Senior Member

They are good, but I don't want all black and white, except for the first few levels. I want images as good as my shark or the hound dog badge. That just means trawling through pics on the internet.

Browny likes this.
  9. Admin

Admin Senior Member

Plus I'm gonna have to come up with the right title for each animal. That could be hard.

10. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

White will be nowhere in them, they will have a transparent BG like the ones seen shown in the first image (they have a gray BG from the screenshot of the panel they are displayed in, but would not be saved that way).

The only reason the animal images are black is because I took a screenshot from a program I wrote to show the Unicode symbols. ;)

I would add (non-black) coloring, but it might be a single, solid color for the fill and and a slightly darker variant for the outline. Let me get a few samples together (a picture paints a thousand words)..

11. Admin

Admin Senior Member

Maybe. I'm just as happy to look for good pics on the net.

Nico and Laughter likes this.
  12. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

i like the current randomness, it is unpredictable, like a box of chocolates :p

knowing the next one is an animal kills some surprise

13. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I enjoy the diversity and randomness that we have now. A bit of playfulness is a good thing for me.

Browny and IGsrGR8 like this.
  14. IGsrGR8

IGsrGR8 Senior Member

I agree with Moonbeam, the current badges are fun :)

Browny and Nico and Laughter like this.
  15. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Hmm.. these colors are quite 'random' (or in fact, generated in code so very much the opposite) but now I see these images 'at size' they don't seem quite as good as images, or in some case, even workable with transparency.

I put a BG color that mimics the BG color in that part of the page. The sheep, for instance, has its entire insides missing! I know a little trick that would allow me to render the inner parts, but:
    • There seems to be resistance to this idea
    • You have indicated that you're just as happy to search the net for images.
    I'll leave it to you as to whether I try to get better images (colors, fills for transparent bits etc.) or just leave it be. :)

[​IMG]

16. IGsrGR8

IGsrGR8 Senior Member

Appreciate your effort, and the colours are pretty, but none of these are going to have quite the same "thrill" as "Provocateur" :peek:

Broony, Browny, Judith and 2 others like this.
  17. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Thanks for trying Andrew but I like the ones we have now.

18. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

Minions aren't robots!

The Vaper and Judith like this.
  19. Broony

Broony Senior Member

The trophies are fun, it's encouraging me to chase them down, hence this post one more post closer to my next trophy. 27 posts to go.:vape:

Browny and Judith like this.