Having trouble with a recipe? Throw them at me and I'll give some pointers!

Discussion in 'Vapoureyes' started by Inertiacreeping, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Inertiacreeping

Inertiacreeping New Member VCA Approved Vendor

Hey all!

Thought I might start off with a little bit of a helpful hand :)

As the title states, if you are having trouble with getting your juice tasting right, feel free to post your recipe here and I'll critique it!

I have about 5 years pretty full-on experience working with TFA, but also have a good grasp on Capella, Flavourart, and Flavorwest

Oh, and feel free to ask for recipe suggestions if you have a certain taste/idea in mind, I'll be happy to reply with some starting percentages!

-Mo

Oldgamer, Judith, DaveJ and 3 others like this.
  2. Catweazle

Catweazle Minion

Maple syrup, that actually tastes like real maple syrup :)
    Maybe with a splash of nice tobacco

3. Inertiacreeping

Ooooh... hit me with a hard one right off the bat! I like it ;)

Well, firstly I would just like to say that Honey might be your first thought, but no one really makes a good honey. TFA Honey smells like cats piss (yes, seriously). FA Honey can be used to accent a juice, but only in a very, very small dilution- aka 0.25%

So, maple. How do we do it?
    I would first try TFA RY4 Asian. Probably as close to a maple to begin with. Nice and caramelly, with the slight tobacco notes somehow turning it into a maple taste.
    TFA actually make a Maple flavour, but I haven't tried it as they can't ship it internationally in bulk sizes, and I can't find much info online about it :/

If you wanted a recipe in that style of flavour, maybe try something like:
    TFA Bavarian Cream - 8%
    TFA Caramel Candy - 3%
    TFA Brown Sugar - 2%
    TFA RY4 Asian - 3%

Almost guaranteed to be delicious :)

Catweazle likes this.
  4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Hi Mo, nice idea for a thread.

Catweazle likes this.
  5. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Alternatively use Flavorart Maple syrup, pretty close to what you want I think.

6. Catweazle

Catweazle Minion

Cheers Mo, I've got some of those and I'll get the rest and report back. :thumbup:

7. Catweazle

Catweazle Minion

I've tried LA and Capella and neither was right for me. I'll grab some FA while I'm at it :thumbup:

8. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

Hello Mo,great t see ya here.
    So any chance you could throw up some ideas using Fennel ? :D
    It's great on it's own ( mouthfull of aniseed balls ) goes quite ok with a dash raspberry .
    But looking for new ideas..Can ya help ???

9. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

Oh. This is great! Thank you Inertiacreeping.
    Questions: Can you compare the RY4 Asian with the regular RY4? And the caramel candy to the Caramel original? Can these be substituted in the above recipe?

Also, I've got the TFA Maple, and still haven't been able to get the percentage right. I keep increasing the percentage but haven't been able to taste it yet. I think my last mix was at 7 or 8% so I just bumped it up to 11% but haven't gotten around to tasting it yet. We'll see.

10. Big O

Big O Member

A nice vanilla mint, not menthol, but mint. Wife loves the platinum puffs style of it, but I'm done with ordering yankee juice. Only shopping local now.

11. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Hi Mo,
    I recently received a sample of your Sir Herbert juice ( thankyou) and enjoyed the slight fizz that I experienced on the exhale.
    I promise I'm not fishing for the recipe but would very much appreciate if you could give me an idea as to what concentrate I could use to add that fizz to some of my own " juice of the devil" creations that might make them a little more palatable.

I experimented a bit and added Sir Herbert to some of said creations and it seems to do the job. Just stressing I'm NOT after YOUR recipe but just the component to add the fizz. I've done a bit of research and I have come up with a few ideas and have had suggestions kindly given to me on here but I'm sure you could definitely point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Judith and Tom.G like this.
  12. Scott Sheehan

Scott Sheehan New Member

Hi, Mo.
    Not sure if you will even read this (or reply) but I have a request for a juice that I am trying to make.
    A redskin like juice.... I have -
    tfa Acai,
    tfa Raspberry (candy) almost the soft red lollie taste,
    Tfa Cotton Candy

Any ideas? ☺

13. Inertiacreeping

Heyooo!

I would go heavy on the Acai, back it up with some Raspberry (candy seems a little chemically to me), and them top it off with some TFA Sweetener if you have it. Cotton Candy is a little strange, makes things sweeter, without actually giving a sugary taste if that makes sense.

Maybe something like:

8% Acai
    4% Raspberry
    1% Sweetener (or cotton candy)

margyb, laurie9300 and rupert like this.
  14. Scott Sheehan

Scott Sheehan New Member

15. Scott Sheehan

Scott Sheehan New Member

Thanks Mo!

Think that's where I've been going wrong, the raspberry I have smells like nail polish remover! Hopefully for the third time lucky I get the right one! Thanks again.

P.S. I received an email today asking what I think could make Vapoureyes better...and to be totally honest I couldn't think of one thing. Keep up the awesome work! Will be a customer for years to come! Good onya!

16. Tyrone Slothrop

Tyrone Slothrop New Member

Hey Mo,

Not sure if you are persisting with this thread, but I think it's a good idea. I'm finding most of the recipes coming in on other sites are all variations on strawberry cream/custard/cheesecake, and they all taste just about the same.

Anyway, I have been attempting to make a yo-yo juice, thinking it would be simple, but it is harder than i anticipated. Here is my first try:

YoYo
    Ingredient %
    Brown Sugar (TPA) 1.2
    Cookie (Biscotto) (FA) 2
    French Vanilla (TPA) 1.5
    Meringue (FA) 2
    Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 2
    Vienna Cream (FA) 0.5

Flavor total: 9.2%

Subsequently I have attempted some FA lemon Sicily, (at about .1%). the flavour is good (the lemon), but too sharp at higher amounts, and I find it always feels isolated:i.e., not blended, as in a lemon curd, cream, custard, or icing. (I've found the same problem in the HIC lemon meringue pie).

I also changed the biscuit base to 1.5% INW biscuit and .5 FA cookie. These changes were an improvement, but still way off the mark.

The meringue was intended to give a sugary/icing profile, but hasn't been entirely successful. The vanilla custard and cream was to add a bit of weight and depth.

How would you recommend one approach a yo-yo's crumbly biscuit and icing.

Cheers,
    Slothrop

17. Inertiacreeping

Good morning! :)

I'm not going to lie, it's been a bit of a while since my last yo-yo (blasphemy!) but my first thought was: "Isn't that sort of a butter-cookie?".
    Having a look at the recipe for the actual biscuits online, it looks like indeed they are pretty much just a crap-tonne of butter, lemon juice, and sugar :p

So, thoughts;
    Ditch Brown Sugar (meringue covers this base)
    Reduce/remove Cookie
    French Vanilla is good
    Meringue will give a certain taste that I think should be reduced for this recipe
    Cap Cus V1 was a good addition, but maybe reduce it.
    Vienna Cream is great

Additons/suggestions:
    I was going to suggest INW Biscuit, great flavour!
    Also, TFA Butter!! https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/4svldi/butter_tfa/
    TFA Fruit Circles, for that blended lemon flavour. Ever wonder why most fruit loop flavours taste like lemon? Yeah, TFA fruit circles :p

Maybe mix up something like this, and see where it gets you.

TFA Butter 3%
    Meringue 1.5% (add more for the icing center)
    INW Biscuit 1%
    FA Cookie 1%
    TFA Fruit Circles 1-2% depending on how much lemon you want.

Add vanilla to taste.

Now, it might be terrible (I'm only starting to get through my morning coffee), but I think if you want a yo-yo bikkie then this would be an excellent start!

margyb, rupert and laurie9300 like this.
  18. Tyrone Slothrop

Tyrone Slothrop New Member

Thanks Mo,

I will give it a go. Good tip on the Fruit Circles, never would have thought of it (cos' it is so intuitive that fruit loops would be a good lemon substitute!) Just gotta order some. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers