1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi from Adelaide

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kellyneon, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Kellyneon

Kellyneon New Member

Hi All,

Bought my first kit 3 months ago (Aspire K4) as I wanted to quit smoking. I'd previously used disposables & had enjoyed them so vaping seemed like the next logical step. I was dual use for a few weeks but then got a bit slack on the K4 & it was back to smoking.

I decided to have another go last week, after finding myself being sent to a completely pointless job interview next to my favourite store, by treating myself to a new juice. I also got some advice as I was toying with the idea of buying a 2nd tank. 2 days later I was back in the store to walk out with a 2nd Cleito tank (rose gold sooo pretty).....and a Joytech Evic Vtwo....oops :facepalm:. It took some fiddling around, being new to VW mods, but I've been pretty happy with the Vtwo so far. Having the ability to adjust more settings has reignited my interest in vaping that's for sure.

So far I'm finding I lean more towards the desert/creamy juices but I'm keen to keep trying all the others.

Currently only vaping at 2mg (50/50) anything more was too harsh. I now know more about the effects of pg/vg ratios so any advice on how other users were able to make the switch to just vaping would be greatly appreciated.

Judith and Pippi like this.
  2. DogMan

DogMan Yes

The liquid harshness should soften some with what is known as steeping. This just involves sitting for extended periods, like steeping a cup of tea. Some people agitate the bottle now and then.

If the 2mg isn't cutting it, you could try whole tobacco alkaloids. There are a few ways to go about this. One is to add WTA liquid to your mix. Omvapors is a reasonably priced source, and they have regular sales if you sign up for newsletter.

Or you could add smokeless tobacco to your arsenal. Lots of info in the snus and other harm reduction forum here on VCA.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Kellyneon and Pippi like this.
  3. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Welcome to VCA Kelly :)

Try using a higher amount of VG, that should soften the harshness a bit, something like 30/70 PG/VG will work.
    2mg/ml would have me climbing the walls, I vape at 24mg/ml with a 70/30 PG/VG ratio.

Kellyneon, Pippi and DogMan like this.
  4. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

Hi and welcome to the Cafe Kelly :)

Kellyneon and Pippi like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Hello Kellyneon and welcome to the forum.

I'm just behind Noe climbing that wall as I require a stronger mix too.
    Truth is whatever works for you is all that matters.
    Stay off the smokes and you've finally beaten the old habit equates to you've found what works for you.

Kellyneon likes this.
  6. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Welcome Kelly, lots of help here which will hopefully get you sorted.

There is some non tobacco nicotine that is about to be released by Hiliq

which is quite smooth and could possibly help you out with the harshness issue if you need to up your nicotine content.

But there are some good suggestions above that have already been made.

DogMan, Jaz and Kellyneon like this.
  7. Kellyneon

Kellyneon New Member

Thanks Noe. It was actually my researching ratios that brought me to VCA ;)

I also read your theory on nicotine so I may tinker with that too. If I can tone down the TH then I'll go higer nic. I do find that even 2mg nic seems to alter the taste of my juices though

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

8. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Hi Kelly, welcome to the Cafe.

I know what you mean about the harshness, it's been an issue for me right from the start too. It seems like some people are more sensitive to the harshness of nicotine than others. People who can happily vape high strengths without it stripping the lining off their mouth and throat don't understand how irritating nic is for some of us.

I had to drop my nic strength when I first started because I couldn't tolerate it, which meant I was constantly chain vaping for a few weeks (and still smoking) to try and get some satisfaction.

Higher VG definitely helps. But 2mg may not ever get you to the point of not craving cigs, it's just too low. Try increasing it to 6mg and up the VG content. What I have got into the habit of doing as well is to drink milky coffee, or iced coffee in the summer, when I'm vaping. Obviously you can't drink it all day, but having a drink of anything while vaping helps with the harshness too.

Were/are you a heavy smoker? The tricky thing is that for most smokers getting enough nicotine is the only way to drop the smokes completely.

Noe, Kellyneon, Gasman and 2 others like this.
  9. Kellyneon

Kellyneon New Member

Thanks for that Jennifer, I'm glad it's not just me :)

Pack a day here (25...ish) but I've always been odd with my smoking & found it has a LOT to do with boredom/the amount of free time I have. It's very rare that I ever am truly hanging for a cigarette, but I have one (or 3) anyway.

I much prefer vaping so I'm determined to switch. I just need to go through the same trial and error process as all newbies to find what works

Flea, Noe, DogMan and 3 others like this.
  10. Kellyneon

Kellyneon New Member

I was gifted a few Mt Baker juices at 6mg 20/80 so I should probably give them a go. The nic strength made me scared before I knew about ratios

Flea and Jennifer like this.
  11. Jaz

Jaz Member

Welcome Kellyneon, you're so lucky to live in Adelaide and having access to all the great Aussie juices and vape shops. I also love the dessert flavours. What are you currently vaping?

Kellyneon likes this.
  12. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Hello Kelly and welcome. You have been given good advice above but I was wondering how you inhale. Are you a mouth to lung or direct lung inhaler? The Cleito tank had very low ohm coils which woul not be suitable for mouth to lung vaping.

Kellyneon likes this.
  13. Kellyneon

Kellyneon New Member

Right now I'm on a mix of Vape Monster Mummy & Ant Hill Roasted Caramel with a few drops of apple (gifted so unknown brand but I think it's a concentrate from the USA)

Jaz likes this.
  14. Kellyneon

Kellyneon New Member

Mostly MTL inhale. I did my research on devices & came across some great review vids on a local store website. I decided on the K4 as I wanted something that wasn't so much mimicking smoking (ie Endura T18) & allowed for upgrading to other set ups as I saw myself most likely to want to continue vaping after I had kicked the nicotine habit.

Flea likes this.
  15. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I'm glad you have done your research but I am still puzzled that you are using such a low ohm tank for MTL inhaling. I would find it too much and even 0.5 ohm coils are almost a bit to much for me most of the time as a MTL vaper. You might get less of a throat hit if you used something else for the present. If you want to give up nicotine fair enough (although I am not fussed about my nicotine consumption) but you need to use a strong enough liquid to control the tobacco cravings (if you still get them). It's all a wonderful learning curve finding what suits you so good luck finding your perfect vape.

Jaz, Noe and DogMan like this.
  16. Kellyneon

Kellyneon New Member

I tried a few devices in store before I went with the K4. I think my inhale style sits somewhere in the middle, I don't really know how to describe it but I have referred to myself as a "power smoker" back in the days when I'd slam a few smokes in my 15 minute break at work.

I preferred the amount of vapor I got from the Cleito. I found the other devices just felt like I was drawing forever & not getting anything, but I do see your point.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Judith, Noe and DogMan like this.
  17. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Nicotine isn't the demon it's often made out to be. It's the smoke that kills, not the nicotine, in cancer sticks.
    I have no intention of quitting nicotine, I like the benefits nicotine provides for me & I know its about as harmful as drinking a cup of coffee, when the smoke is taken out of the equation.
    What many vapers do not realise is, that the flavorings in the juice are potentially more hazardous than nicotine is, if anything in your nicotine juice is going to harm you, it will be the flavors. That doesn't mean flavors are bad but it means that if you are vaping more to compensate for a lack of nicotine, then you are putting yourself at risk of more harm.

As a new vaper, your only goal IMO should be to find a nic strength & vaping style that works to keep you off the cancer sticks, the less time you need to spend vaping (puffs per day) to achieve that, the better.
    Once you have been vaping for a few months, with the cravings/thoughts of smoking behind you, then I think it is a good time to look at reducing nicotine levels if you want to, it is very easy to relapse back into smoking & quite often vapers fall into this trap of trying to reduce their nicotine too quickly, then relapse.

Flea, Aqualung, Jaz and 3 others like this.
  18. Kellyneon

Kellyneon New Member

Great advice!!

I'm in no mad rush to quit nicotine, as I'm well aware it's probably the safest thing I'm exposing myself to via smoking, but eventually I would like to have a life where I'm not slave to any vices.... other than coffee coz I'm NEVER going caffeine free

Pippi, Noe and Judith like this.
  19. Kellyneon

Kellyneon New Member

Ok, so as well as the Mt Baker 20/80 (6mg) juices I have found 3 from Velvet Cloud Vapor (12mg) who only make max VG

I just half filled my tank with a Mt Baker juice and, while the first few vapes felt harsh as all hell, after a drink & some tweeking with my watts, it's starting to feel better

Flea, Jennifer, Noe and 2 others like this.
  20. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Hi Kellyneon, welcome - good to see another new member stepping up and contributing - all questions help others that wanted to ask but didnt.
    I wont give any advise as I think everyone above has covered it and I agree with them all :)
    Have fun in the Cafe - We have some pretty awesome people here.

Jaz and Kellyneon like this.