How long is too long?

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by Gasman, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Im not sure if this has been talked about before but I'm wondering how long others may leave juice before they decide to throw it away.
    Either a RTV juice or one of their own.

I ask because I've a few ranging from 12-18 months old which I've recently been vaping and quite enjoying.
    All have been kept in my purposely used fishing tackle box but not in any colder environment.

Most are ones that didn't really hit the mark and rather than ditch them straight off the bat I normally keep them in reserve for some madcap experiment.

I've read that nicotine degrades but not sure if it has or not.

If it has I like it.

margyb likes this.
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

VG in ejuice is going to go bad before anything else, with perhaps the exception of some flavors.
    Generally, I give a shelf life of 2yrs to my juice, which is really just a "best before" date.
    When VG goes bad, it becomes watery, so if your juice is thinner than it should be (not by design because of the PG content), then it is probably not the best to vape.

margyb and Adrian Grace like this.
  3. Flea

Flea Senior Member

I've kept and used bulk nic for more than two years and it still looks & tastes the same.

None of my liquids have ever seen the insides of a fridge or freezer.
    I just keep my liquids in a deep, dark, wooden drawer.

margyb and Noe like this.
  4. Noe

Most of my personal ejuice sits on my computer desk, out of direct sunlight, a lot of it is over 2 years old & still seems fine, my NET juices are stored in the fridge because I don't want them going bad on me, they are special! lol
    Two years is, like I said above, a "best before date", if the juice gets very watery that is when it is time to throw it out.

margyb and Flea like this.
  5. Snidely_Whiplash

Snidely_Whiplash Member

I hide my nic in the back of the fridge, (no ankle biters to get into it).
    If you have kids around, up the back of a high dark cupboard, (with no ladders close by).

6. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Ive read that nicotine, properly kept, only degrades by around 1-2% per year. Not much of a worry in my opinion for personal use.

I tend to mix new batches for myself every few weeks, but I do have some great juice that was mixed over 2 years ago, and still good.
    Conversely, Ive mixes that dont age well past 8-9 months.

I tend to agree that the watery consistency is a better indication than anything, that and of course degraded flavour. I know when a juice is past its best before, as it doesnt vape the same as it normally should.

margyb and Noe like this.
  7. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

I recently purchased another Wine Cooler as the temps in my study can reach 33 degrees or more on a really hot day.
    The wine cooler keeps flavours and liquids at a constant 20 degrees (68F) which is about perfect, so they last at least 2 years or more.
    $100 well spent and a better option than a fridge.

margyb, Noe and Snidely_Whiplash like this.
  8. Noe

I remember reading somewhere that PG has preservative properties. Which means that most of the flavorings we use for vaping will have a naturally long shelf life, since PG is the most common carrier used in concentrates.
    Certainly I have some flavorings which are over 5 years old that seem fine*, with no change in flavor over the years, most however never last that long & get replaced regularly.

* Not used in the manufacture of liquid products I sell.

margyb likes this.