1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Inquiry into the Use of Electronic Cigarettes and Personal Vaporisers

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by Nico and Laughter, May 25, 2017.

1. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Following a referral on 25 May 2017 from the Minister for Health, Aged Care and Sport, The Hon Greg Hunt MP, the Committee will inquire into and report on the use of electronic cigarettes (E-cigarettes) and personal vaporisers in Australia.

The Committee invites interested persons and organisations to make submissions addressing the terms of reference by Thursday, 6 July 2017. Information that may assist in preparing a submission to the Committee may be viewed here.

Particularly when you look at the members of the committee
    http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...alth_Aged_Care_and_Sport/Committee_Membership

laurie9300, Noe, The Vaper and 3 others like this.
  2. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

Noe, The Vaper and Pippi like this.
  3. margyb

And we have until 6 th July to put in a submission :):):)

Pippi likes this.
  4. margyb

Terms of Reference
    Inquiry into the Use of Electronic Cigarettes and Personal Vaporisers in Australia
    The Standing Committee on Health, Aged Care and Sport will inquire into and report on the use of electronic cigarettes (E-cigarettes) and personal vaporisers in Australia, in particular:

1. The use and marketing of E-cigarettes and personal vaporisers to assist people to quit smoking;

2. The health impacts of the use of E-cigarettes and personal vaporisers;

3. International approaches to legislating and regulating the use of E-cigarettes and personal vaporisers;

4. The appropriate regulatory framework for E-cigarettes and personal vaporisers in Australia; and

5. Any other related matter.

Pippi likes this.
  5. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

I am prone to frequent bouts of 'Pollyanna' state of mind.
    But given that there was already a c'tee established by the Feds, remember the one that Simon was so proud of the chapter of the report he drafted, that hasn't seen the light of day AFAIK.
    And this c'tees terms of reference include consideration of international regulatory frameworks.
    And states already have the most draconian regulations possible, so what could the Feds possibly add?
    And private members' bills have been touted.
    Should I feel some legitimate optimism?
    Could it be that the tide is truly turning?

Pippi and margyb like this.
  6. margyb

We will have to get Clive Bates to do a submission and all the clever UK proactive ecig experts

Noe, The Vaper, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  7. margyb

I think with enough submissions we have a chance :):)

The Vaper, Pippi and Aqualung like this.
  8. Nico and Laughter

The one that Simon was part of, that never saw the light of day, did not ask for submissions from outside sources. The members were Simon Chapman and his Cancer Council cronnies. This committee consists of politicians with a slight majority of liberals including Andrew Lamming. See the speech Margy linked. So there's that.

Also when it comes to the scheduling of nicotine the states cannot over rule the commonwealth and make nicotine legal until it is legal federally. Generally once the commonwealth makes something legal the states follow or though maybe not in the case of Queensland I just don't know what they well do.

Should you feel optimism? Maybe a little bit I'm not sure Aqua.

9. margyb

Clive Bates recently did this

Reshaping American tobacco policy: eight proposals for the Trump administration

https://www.clivebates.com/reshapin...eight-proposals-for-the-trump-administration/

We could use some of his ideas but no copying and pasting

The eight proposals to reshape policy are listed below. The report provides a context, summarises the proposals and provides two pages on each.

1. Seize the huge opportunity presented by low-risk nicotine products
    2. Cancel the FDA deeming rule before it destroys the U.S. vaping market
    3. Establish a standards-based regime for low-risk nicotine products
    4. Use new labels to inform consumers about relative risk
    5. Stop using the public health test to protect the cigarette trade
    6. Restore honesty and candor to public health campaigns
    7. Refocus tobacco science on the public interest not bureaucratic expansion
    8. Challenge vapor and smokeless prohibitions under WTO rules

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    The Vaper and Nico and Laughter like this.
  10. margyb

Also note another politician on the committee is Tim Wilson who was the previous Human Rights Commisiioner
    So we should get some empathy with wanting the right to choose a safer alternative to smoking like e -cigs= 95 % safer and Harm reduction to save lives

Tim Wilson has announced his resignation as Human Rights Commissioner to pursue Liberal Party preselection for Andrew Robb’s federal electorate of Goldstein

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/about/commissioners/human-rights-commissioner-mr-tim-wilson

Tim Wilson

Former Commissioner, 2014-2016

[​IMG]
    Tim Wilson served as Human Rights Commissioner from February 2014 until February 2016. Dubbed the “Freedom Commissioner”, Tim proudly defended universal, individual human rights.

As Commissioner he focused on preserving a legal environment and culture that values free speech, religious freedom, free association and property rights. Commissioner Wilson specifically focused on removing impediments that stop the ability of Indigenous Australians to use their land for economic development, and constructively working through the challenges posed by a 21st Century pluralistic society to religious freedom to advance the human rights of all.

Mr Wilson previously worked as a Policy Director for the Institute of Public Affairs. He has also worked in trade and communication consulting, international aid and development, as well as politics.

He has served as a Board member of Monash University's Council, Alfred Health and on a Victorian Board of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.

He has extensive experience in public debate and has had many regular radio and television commitments, with both commercial and public broadcasters. The Australian newspaper recognised Tim as one of the ten emerging leaders of Australian society. He has written extensively for newspapers, journals and books. He co-edited the book Turning Left or Right: Values in Modern Politics.

In July 2016, Mr Wilson was elected as the member for Goldstein in the Australian Federal Parliament.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Pippi and The Vaper like this.
  11. Nico and Laughter

He seems like he would be quite open to vaping. From memory there are four liberals, three labour and one national.

Weren't the nationals going to adopt vaping at one stage as their way of improving health of Australians in the bush at one stage?

Many a slip between cup and lip my nanna used to say. So we shall have to see, but fingers and toes crossed

The Vaper and margyb like this.
  12. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Wonderful and thanks so much for sharing this Annette - I am yet to do a submission as I am not confident in the written word but I can think of a few people here that would help me with editing skills. :)
    There is so much currently to be be positive about in the world of Vaping Advocacy - So many new or unheard people finding their voice :clap:

13. margyb

Didn't Jen put a post somewhere on the forum on how to write a submission?

Pippi likes this.
  14. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Yes she did @DogMan will be the guy to remember where that is - His memory is a scary thing :thumbup:

Flea, Nico and Laughter and margyb like this.
  15. DogMan

DogMan Yes

or someone more involved in these things :shrug:

Flea, Pippi and margyb like this.
  16. margyb

I have had a quick look so far but can't find it yet

17. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Really am hoping for that slip twixt cup and lip Nico.
    The TGA decision was finalised, but this c'tee reopens the debate. TGA said there was insufficient evidence of efficacy as a quit tool, but this c'tee reopens that too. TGA said health impacts were all maybe, might, could be unknowns, but the c'tee is going to have a go at that as well. Whats the point of having it, if only to confirm what has already gone before? They have to exclude all of Europe and most of the Americas from their examination of international approaches, to not end up with a more positive position than we have now,
    And why now? Is there a percieved need to rein in the fascist excesses of Qld, at a time when the rest of the known world is softening its position.
    OK, just call me Polly, but I really need some optimism right now

18. margyb

Well we can tell them New Zealand is legalising the sale of ecigs and Canada is too
    And now out of 2.9 million vapers in U.K. 1.5 million have quit tobacco smoking
    Tim Wilson was the Human Rights Commissioner surely he would agree people have a right to use a 95% less harmful alternative to smoking and potentially save millions of lives ( human right to be healthier)
    Someone could sendthem the Billion Lives doco
    In the USA the FDA is being legally challenged for trying to shut down the vaping industry with its deeming regs

Aqualung, The Vaper and Pippi like this.
  19. Angela

Angela ...

I'm feeling a bit somewhere over the rainbow about this myself. It's been a while since I dipped my pen.

I hope the vendor groups will get on board as well. A call to action to all their customers might just pull in enough submissions to finally hit the home run we need.

Exciting times ahead I hope. :vape:

20. margyb

Especially with the new vendor association AVATAR just formed

Pippi, The Vaper and Angela like this.