1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Inquiry into the Use of Electronic Cigarettes and Personal Vaporisers

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by Nico and Laughter, May 25, 2017.

1. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Hi Polly, I am desperately trying to calm down at the moment but it feels like I've had a ritalin milkshake I'm so excited! But I'm trying to be sensible because you know we've lost a few lately. But this has the best chance of being posative so far. But it will still be a journey. The government may not accept any recommendations of the committee so who knows. But we have a chance. We've got to grab it with both hands. So get that quill out and put it to paper!

2. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

3. margyb

Here is the New Zealand regulatory impact statement

http://www.health.govt.nz/system/fi...ng-tobacco-and-nicotine-delivery-products.pdf

1. The Ministry’s recommendations are to amend the Smoke-free Environments Act 1990 to:
      1. legalise the sale and supply of nicotine e-cigarettes and e-liquid as consumer products

2. regulate both nicotine and non-nicotine e-cigarettes and e-liquid as consumer products under the Smoke-free Environments Act 1990

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    The Vaper and Pippi like this.
  4. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Oh it did. From "expert" sources, who I presume meant "all Simon's ANTZ cronies".

I've been meaning to put in an FOI request as to:
    • The amount it cost.
    • When it will be officially released.
    • Whether it was submitted to (or otherwise used to 'inform') the TGA in their deliberations on legalising nicotine.
    But then, I have a few other things on my plate with higher priority (and which will likely result in more good(1))..

For instance, I'm already planning a submission to this inquiry! Thanks for the heads-up. :)
    1. Plus, the request will go to the Health Department - which still has not rectified their heavy redaction of the submissions on the matter of the nicotine rescheduling.. I suspect they're hoping we'll forget about it.

Nico and Laughter and margyb like this.
  5. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I think a few impassioned pleas from just such folks would do a world of good. Toss the guidelines out the window, ignore the terms of reference and just write from the heart & from your personal experience (is my advice). Spelling and grammar mistakes will make it all the more convincing that this is real Australians that are hurting here.

Think about it..

6. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

The major (public) objections of people like Glantz, Chapman and the other cave dwellers was:
    1. Don't know long term effects (though few would claim it could be as harmful as smoking).
    2. That e-cigs would renormalise smoking and would therefore hinder tobacco control's 'marvelous' achievements.
    3. That it was meant to get a whole new generation of kids 'hooked' on nicotine and then onto smoking.
    The first is not (in itself) a valid reason to ban e-cigs. It is more the other two that might lead to a 'net harm'.

And the evidence that neither is true is piling up. Colin alludes to it in his blurb on the inquiry. Smoking rates which had stalled, are now dropping again, precipitously. Most kids who vape are one or more of former smokers, don't use nicotine, or are only experimenting with e-cigs.

Chappie has recently dropped all pretense on Twitter that he supports e-cigs, and is simply making jibes at e-cig advocates. I'm not sure whether that means he is becoming more desperate, or feeling emboldened that more countries are banning vape (e.g. India, Saudi Arabia, some of the countries to our north west) and more US counties are acting against them + the TPD is kicking in. I suspect it is more 'desperation' and am determined to help make that desperation fully justified. The man sorely needs a severe smack-down.

7. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

The last I heard, there were 5 separate legal challenges to that dog's breakfast of a legislation.

8. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

I'm questioning if I can do all this again?

And the little voice in my head keeps saying "you HAVE to!"

9. Angela

Angela ...

This has to be the one. We will NEVER surrender Laurie!

The Vaper, Pippi, Flea and 2 others like this.
  10. laurie9300

Yep! Time to bring Rose out from hiding, dust her off, and hand her some stationary!

Aqualung, Pippi, Donna and 2 others like this.
  11. Angela

Angela ...

Oh gawd. I'm gunna have to dig deep to find her again. I'm feeling a bit jaded and faded too.

I think we need numbers this time. Lots and lots and lots of letters, so we can beat them into submission with our submissions.

I'll be off work for a while in a week or so, so hopefully I'll be able to find one last spurt of energy to put into this project. I honestly believe it's our best chance yet.

12. margyb

Yes I reckon if we can get all the top guys with research etc like Clive Bates , Attila, Colin, Linda Bauld etc doing submissions
    Then thousands of disgruntled vapers saying we will continue vaping illegally if necessary just to save our lives and improve our health would be be good
    If NZ are going to make vaping a consumer product why can't Aussie vapers have the same ? It's discrimination and politicians in Aus will be committing desktop murder when there is a 95% safer alternative and they don't inform their voters about it.

If they keep it illegal they will have to make bigger prisons as I won't pay any fines :)

13. Angela

Angela ...

I like that. It's catchy, and exactly what they need to hear. :)

14. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

For every prohibition law, there is an equal and opposite outlaw.

Or in this case, a half million(1) of us..
    1. Insert favorite number here, for the (largely unknown) number of vapers in Australia.​
    :cancan::cancan::cancan::cancan:

margyb and Angela like this.
  15. laurie9300

I'm not gonna get my hopes up, we could launch the perfect campaign, bombard them with all the facts, and they'll just turn around and state, "we're going with the Saudi model".

16. laurie9300

And how do we spur thousands of Aussie vapers into action? We didn't even get 50 personal submissions for the TGA thing!

17. margyb

Yes I know it's hard maybe the new AVATAR group will email all their customers?

18. margyb

19. margyb

Andrew Lamings end of speech

I am not advocating for civil disobedience. I am not telling smokers to put their packs above their heads and go down and picket the joint. But it is time we had a more open approach to data and evidence. It is time we had a trial like this, because I do not want to relive the five years when we fought against medical cannabis, only to have a Eureka moment and discover we should not have taken the attitude that the evidence was not complete. You know what? The evidence will never be complete as long as we ban something that is already broadly available. We should be more open to work with our supermarkets, with our points of sale, and through education and the public health groups to make sure that vaping is possible in Australia. It is already there. We should stop turning a blind eye and work together to beat the scourge of smoking.

20. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

..same here. I see this is the latest battle in a war of attrition.

Soldier on! We have the numbers, we will win, just so long as we can keep the pressure on long enough.