Labor and E-cigarettes.

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by Rayjay, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

The other day I attended a Labor party meeting at our local electorate of Braddon, where a crucial bi-election (Federal) is being held on the 28th of July. Bill Shorten was there. Ok he made a big speech about how Labor is interested in public health and the well being of all constituents. Came question time and I piped up and asked Bill about e-cigarettes and the shadow health minister's policy on them.

You should have seen the frown on Bill's face. He hated the question. I mentioned the research done by Prof. Gardner, Collin Mendehlson and others, as well as the UK and NZ legalisation and asked why Australia was still an Ostrich with its head stuck in the sand.

His reply was, that Labor (Federal) has no intention of banning e-cigarettes. As to approval of Nic content vapes, neither he or his staffer with whom I spoke with latter, is satisfied with the research thus far as there is too many conflicting reports of them being better than stinkies.

I then pointed out how is it that Simon Chapman who was the worst enemy of us vapers has also has now had a change of heart in this matter and why even the Chair of the last report of the parliamentary enquiry was so against the finding of the enquiry. He stated that the current health minister sabotaged that enquiry and it was a foregone conclusion that the findings was negative.

My final question to Bill was, how can then at the present time, when the legal e-cigarettes / vapes that contain no nicotine have been bundled into the same category as smoking and vapers cannot vape in no smoking areas. His reply was, that he is well aware of that, and he has seen vapers using their devices, he said that this problem came about due to huge clouds generated and non smokers were worried about passive effects of these clouds. Looks like we have cloud chasers to blame for this ban.

The Vaper likes this.
  2. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Good on ya' for putting Bill on notice about this. :thumbup:
    That's news to me! Do you have a reference?

There was a time recently when advocates got excited about something Simon was quoted as saying*. He quickly clarified that his 'approval' was contingent on TGA approval. Given he knows the TGA would never approve what is not a medical device, he seems to have shifted not one iota.

I cannot locate the Tweet in which he mentions TGA approval, but here is a selection of his e-cig Tweets since then:

Do you notice a shift in his position? No, neither do I.

Rayjay likes this.
  3. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

There is a slight shift in his Chipmunks position it was on Facebook some time ago and no I just ignored it like I ignor most of the crap that Chipmunk dribbles.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk