1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Lazy Mod Maker Diary

Discussion in 'Modding and Technical' started by DogMan, Aug 22, 2015.

1. DogMan

DogMan Butler

OK, I was quite correctly told by Dave to start a thread in here.

I have bits laying around for a MOSFET box, and more bits coming for a regulated mod [both squonkers]

http://www.mondevape.com/en/enclosu...sure-internal-1590g-format.html#/matiere-brut

^I have one of those coming, and a backup aluminium B size, which is bigger, just in case

I have one of these coming to mount the board, it is printed plastic

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/bo...nt-fixed/p9nMU7MG?uuid=RLlO532MQ9D1s0vWKJJZqb

On cutting the hole out, dave said

these squonk bottles are pretty compact [13mm i think] http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391208269056

The cutout for the board is my main worry ATM. The box etc should be here by Friday next week, so I have a while to read up [i should have really bought 2]

I am really slack though, this could become a summer project by the time I actually do it

Browny and Aussie like this.
  2. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Is the cutout you need to do, into the plastic rectangle you link to here: http://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/bo...unt-fixed/p9nMU7MG?uuid=KKEVr9jLD9M9JgvpuooM2

And if so, isn't the rectangular hole already there - included by the 3d printer folk? Or they miss that, so you need to make one to suit your particular hardware measurements?

In any case, FIRST I'd have all parts together in the one place and at the one time. I find it impossible to check and cut and test fit stuff if I don't have the part that needs fitting.

If I was trying to cut an accurate and neat smallish rectangular hole into flat plastic I'd want a spare to practice on and ensure I could do a presentable job, and use that to establish correct order, methods and, perhaps, allow for "Oh, my god, what the hell was I thinking" moments.

AND, there are others out there who are skilled at this...... please chime in. :)

Browny and DogMan like this.
  3. DogMan

DogMan Butler

oh no, i need to mount that plastic rectangle in a rectangle hole. unsure if cutting it so one side is flush with the timber edge, leaving 3 cut edges, and one covered by the lid of the mod [hope that makes sense, i can knock up a pic if not]

the front and back craft glued reinforcements is good advice

it is all in one package, and stuff i have here, except the squonk bottles

4. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Ahhhhhh. This plastic "wrecked-tangle" (hehe - well, it just might end up that way!) gets mounted into the EDGE of your box mod. And that box mod edge is made of wood. And that wood box mod is the object pictured here: http://www.mondevape.com/en/enclosu...sure-internal-1590g-format.html#/matiere-brut

Oh, great. Tis FAR easier to mill/machine/cut into a nice flat piece. Lots harder to cut and shape into it when that edge is already fixed to the backing/side. Oh, well.

So far - do we have it?

DogMan likes this.
  5. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Yes. The little plastic cradle theoretically makes mounting the uneven board, with multiple buttons and small screen, easier.

Not sure if the aluminium box would be easier to work with than the wood

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

DaveJ likes this.
  6. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Different. Just different.

With wood - you will have to be mindful that whatever you do and however you go about it, the wood will wanna splinter and chip out. Where a drill bit punches thro, where a saw blade leaves a cut, even with careless sanding around edge grain... whatever, it'll want to chip out and splinter. So you must expect, allow and work with it. That was the reasoning behind the reinforcing sheets I mentioned earlier - it shifts that chip out to the outside, sacrificial material.

Studiovape and DogMan like this.
  7. DogMan

DogMan Butler

[​IMG]

Then squonk hole similar to above. And 10mm 510 round hole. I'd assume similar supports are recommended there?

8. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Yes. Most definitely. ALWAYS support the edge of wood when cutting.

Often times, a layer of painters/masking tape is sufficient for stuff I do - like cutting "across the grain" of a piece pf ply. I'll apply masking tape over the cut line, then do the cut. The tape helps a lot with those splinters along the edge on the side the blade exits from.

* Take care when removing the tape - you'll soon learn that you peel the tape off the edge "with the grain" so it doesn't pull up more splinters. WE all learn that one the hard way! :)

9. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Oh, for small to medium sized round holes into wood - Brad Point bits are the go. Like these:http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/brad-point-drill-bits

Different shape to normal "general purpose" bits. Cleaner/sharper edges on the entry side. :) Still nasty punch out on the exit side though.... :(

Often helped if you can drill half way from one side then turn workpiece over and drill the remainder from the opposite side. Obviously line up is critical - pilot holes and such.....

10. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Ok. So with those, would masking tape do? Or mask top, mdf bottom?

11. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

For drilling a small/medium sized hole thro wood, mask top and MDF supporting bottom is your best bet.

That mdf base must remain firm to the bottom of the wood at all times thro the drilling.

DogMan likes this.
  12. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Ordered a brad bit.

13. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

You what?
    [​IMG]

Oh, bit....... oopsie! :)

14. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

Watching..............learning...............

Pipesub and DogMan like this.
  15. laurie9300

DaveJ and DogMan like this.
  16. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Assuming that bit is meant for the dremel speeds (*), then I think it'd be a fantastic way to do it.

EDIT - and then I look at the link - it's a dremel accessory. *head slap* Should be fine! :)

That mill base for the dremel means you could set up accurate guides to control the cut precisely. Never done it with a dremel before, but I've done similar with router on the table. All I'd say is careful setup, and easy does it. Small cuts. Several small cuts is way better than one big cut - especially with little bitty bits.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    laurie9300 and DogMan like this.
  17. laurie9300

No need for guides, the handles have 0.2mm graduations, so you just have to turn them the right amount of turns to get an accurate measurement.

DaveJ likes this.
  18. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Ahhhh. I just demonstrated my lack of knowledge of the dremel mill stand. Oh, well. :)

Sounds like that makes it easy to control the cut accurately. Just what you want. Should be ideal.

19. laurie9300

The cross slide does not come with the dremel workstation. I bought it from carbatec.

DaveJ likes this.
  20. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Ahhh.

At least we have one of them here.