1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

My first mix

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gabby, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Gabby

Gabby Member

I'd been trying to avoid playing the hobbyist and fiddling with my gear and juice, but I just couldn't help myself.
    I have a 30ml bottle - the first I bought O/S - of 'Banana Nut Bread' 24mg. If found it a bit strong both in nic and flavour. So I went online to FT and got some 16ml unflavoured (which I wanted to try by itself anyway) and some base (no nic, no flavour), plus some mixing gear (syringes, bottles, etc).

So I mixed 3ml of the main juice, 1ml of the 16mg unflavoured and 2 ml of the base, to provide ~18mg at half flavour. It worked well - I definitely prefer the mix.

What I learned: Firstly trying to mix such small amounts is not clever with the 10ml syringes I've got - the errors are rather high when the quantities are low. Now I'm happy with the result I'll use larger quantities next time.
    Secondly those spout things are a PITA to get out of the bottle. I send one flying across the room, but luckily saw where it went. Anyone got a simple way to remove them? Levering them out with a small screwdriver is obviously not the best way.

Maria, Pippi, Judith and 1 other person like this.
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

In the long term it works out far cheaper to buy 250ml or even 1L of 100mg/ml nicotine for diluting & it is very easy to work out how much you need with 100mg/ml.
    For instance if you are making 10ml of juice & want 18mg/ml strength, then you use 1.8ml or if you are mixing it with a juice that is already 18mg/ml, you use 0.9ml.
    For your 24mg/ml bananabread juice to make it 18mg/ml at half the flavor using 100mg/ml is again easy, in a 10ml bottle of 18mg/ml there are 180 mg of nicotine, so 24mg/ml x 5ml = 120mg, leaving 60mg, 0.6ml x 100mg/ml = 60mg, so you just add 0.6ml.
    This also makes it so that you can experiment more with PG/VG ratios, because you have more mils of PG or VG base to add into the bottle, eg. to get the same 6ml size you mentioned above, you'd use 2.5ml of the flavored juice & 0.48ml of 100mg/ml, giving you 1.2ml extra left for adding VG or PG base (not that you'd likely use 0.48ml, most vapers would find it easier to round up to 0.5ml).

3ml syringes are more accurate for mixing smaller amounts, 1ml syringes are even more accurate.
    If you are using plastic syringes, the graduation marks will wear off in quite a short time, even if you are not washing them. So a pro-tip I learned many years ago from @margyb (those old skewl nurses know all the tricks I swear!) is to wrap the syringe with clear tape or contact, covering & protecting the marks, they will even survive being washed like this :)

Getting the drippers off of a bottle is easy if you have a thumb nail, locate the edge of the dripper, wedge your thumb nail under & hold the top of the dripper between your first 2 fingers, then pop & lift, the dripper will be in your hand, not hidden behind a bookshelf on the other side of the room ;)
    If you need to use a small screwdriver (ie have no thumb nail), you can hold the top of the dripper with your other hand & lift with the screwdriver with your free hand, but this isn't as easy as it is if you use your thumb nail.

margyb and Gabby like this.
  3. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I hate those things in the top of bottles. If you can just create a small gap with a butter knife or something they can usually be levered out with a thump. Best to do it somewhere where it will hit a barrier though. I usually use needle tipped bottles because I use 50/50 PG/VG and it is not too think but if you have kids around you have to be careful because they are not child resistant.

I find a mix of syringe sizes is useful, especially when using flavouring. These days I mix up big bottles of unflavoured and just use a medicine cup to measure the nic and other kitchen measuring stuff to measure the PG and VG. I am incredibly slack and since I self dose with vaping, just as I did when smoking, I am not concerned about obsessive accuracy. I have a few different strengths mixed with straight PG and straight VG so if the mood takes me I can use doublers or such and it makes it easier to dilute liquids.

Noe, Pippi and Gabby like this.
  4. Flea

Flea Senior Member

The drip tip on top of the bottles..........

I do it one handed, hold the bottle in my right hand and push sideways against the tip with my right thumb.
    Too easy.

I only use 30ml bottles,
    so don't know how easy it might be with smaller bottles.
    Good luck.

Gabby likes this.
  5. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

The way I usually do it is....
    While holding the bottle in one hand(like below), use your other hand to push/slightly bend the tip away from you to create enough gap for you to dig your nail in. Once it's in, spin/rotate the bottle and the tip it will pop out.

It's a pain without long nails so I tend to remove all mine and placed them in a ziplock bag when I have long nails lol. I just pop the cap over the bottles without the tip :)
    [​IMG]

But it works best with long nails :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Gasman and Gabby like this.
  6. Gabby

Gabby Member

Thanks for all the hints. I'll probably be mostly mixing large amounts (10ml+) from now on, so I'm not too concerned at using 10ml syringes. Not too worried about the marks rubbing off either - at 50c each they're hardly a major cost factor.

I just had a try at getting the spout thing out using the 'bend and pry' technique - worked a treat. Thanks Tezr & Flea.

DogMan likes this.
  7. Flea

Flea Senior Member

Glad it worked, Gabby.