New vaper, 3 weeks off cigs

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jslJustin, Jun 7, 2018.

1. jslJustin

jslJustin New Member

Hi all,

I'm Justin, I live on the Mid North Coast in NSW and I have successfully made the switch to vaping. I've just hit 3 weeks since my last cigarette (aka analogs, stinkies, death sticks, cancer sticks, etc), and am feeling very confident that I have said goodbye forever to the cigs and hello to vaping.

I will keep this short here, but perhaps share more of my journey of quitting smoking with vaping in the "Your Story" section.

Thanks - Justin

Noe, margyb, KayP and 2 others like this.
  2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Welcome Justin,
    good on-ya mate, keep on vaping:thumbup:

margyb likes this.
  3. jslJustin

jslJustin New Member

Thanks for the welcome RC! Will definitely keep on vaping :thumbup:

margyb likes this.
  4. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Welcome Justin,
    Keep up the good work.
    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

5. jslJustin

jslJustin New Member

Thank you Rayjay!

6. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Hi Justin and welcome to the cafe. A hearty congratulations to you on your success. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Noe and Rayjay like this.
  7. jslJustin

jslJustin New Member

Thanks KayP. Funnily, I was able to get most of my questions answered already in forums like these, just by lurking and reading. I think the thing that was the most help in getting me to the stage of trying vaping instead of smokes (and then quitting), was reading all the positive stories of people who had successfully quit the analogs via vaping.

Apart from that, the only question I have right now is: "how do you know when to replace your coils"? I have the Innokin Endura T22, for the past few weeks I have been changing the coil after 6 or 7 days regardless. But it has been 9 or more days since I changed the coil. It still produces vapour, but the taste seems slightly less than normal.

Are there some suggestions on what you guys look for as an indication to change your coil?

Thanks - Justin.

margyb, Rayjay and KayP like this.
  8. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Yes, it's a good thing that vapers have banded together and created a friendly and helpful online community. Before I started vaping, I too spent an immense amount of time reading online forums and watching Youtube videos. It was definitely helpful and appealing to see so many smokers quitting cigarettes successfully.

With regards to when to change coil heads: There's no single answer to your question as mileage may vary based on how much you vape and the type of e-liquids you are using. For example, high VG liquids, especially with flavour sweeteners, will build up gunk on the coils faster than lower VG e-liquids. As the cotton darkens and buildups develop around your coil, you will begin to notice the flavour diminishing. You may even begin experiencing dry hits as the ageing cotton will not be able to keep up. When you visually see these symptoms and experience flavour drops, then you can change the coil heads. If instead you want to push the coil for a little bit longer, then you can do so. There's no harm in it as long as you don't chain vape the cotton dry and experience a dry hit; it is not pleasant.

Alternatively, and eventually at your own pace, you can venture into rebuildable atomisers. It will help you save more money and only further your venture into finding out how coils and wicking work. Factory built coil heads, whilst convenient, are designed to be disposable. Ultimately there is a cost involved with this method. With rebuildables, when the time comes one can easily clean the coils and rewick it with clean cotton; therefore, extending the life of the coils.

margyb likes this.
  9. jslJustin

jslJustin New Member

Thanks KayP - yes, the online forums are great for new vapers, I learnt all I needed to know to get started with vaping. Obviously there is a bit more to think about with vaping as opposed to smoking, which might deter some from making the switch. With ciggies they are easily accessible and you just light it up. But once I was committed to switching, the online resources were great to answer all my questions.

Will look into rebuildable atomisers at some point down the track. I am just glad that you can get vape devices that are easy to use for beginners, it definitely helped me switch to vaping. As well, the Endura T22 puts out good clouds, and I am guessing it must be pretty good at nicotine delivery as well, as it certainly worked for me.

I think my coil is due for a change as the flavour definitely has dropped the last few days. Am using 50/50 PG/VG at the moment, but finding that I get around a week of use from a coil. Also, had 2 coils that had a burnt taste straight after replacing. I think this was due to not putting small drops of e-liquid into the holes, I was letting it sit for anywhere from 10 mins to an hour after refilling the tank.

Anyway, thanks for the good info :thumbup:

Rayjay likes this.
  10. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Unfortunately you will encounter one or two faulty coil heads right off the bat; as with most Chinese made products quality checking is sparse. My first device was targeted at smokers looking at quitting cigarettes. It came with two coil heads and a rebuildable deck. Unfortunately, and in my opinion, both of the coil heads were faulty as they only gave me dry hits, even though I saturated each coil head in e-liquid for about 15 minutes. I, therefore, had to learn how to wrap my own coils from day one. The rebuildable deck came in handy and luckily I had already purchased wires, cotton, a coil jigg and a coil resistance reader.

margyb and Rayjay like this.
  11. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

IMHO the best RTA (rebuildable tank aromiser) is the OBS engine tank. I have tried many tanks in my now 5 years of vaping and I find the OBS is the easiest to build on. I use juggernaut ready made coils and Kendall organic cotton. The Obs is so far a truly leak proof tank.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Noe likes this.
  12. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Welcome to VCA Justin :)

I agree with RayJay, the OBS Engine is a great RTA & it's effectively all I have been using for the past 12 months or so. I recently got myself a DigiFlavor Themis RTA & that is IMO on par with the Engine both are leak free & both are top fill with top airflow. However I think for someone new to rebuildable tanks, the Themis is going to be a little easier to build on & is more forgiving in its coil placement than the Engine (which can take a few attempts to get right for best flavor).
    I reviewed the Themis & compared it to the Engine here: http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/digiflavor-themis-rta-dual-coil-version.6846/

Rayjay likes this.
  13. jslJustin

jslJustin New Member

Thanks for the welcome, Noe! :thumbup:

Hey, I am pretty sure I have read some of your guides and reviews, so will keep your recommendations in the back of my mind when I decide to move into the world of rebuildable tank atomisers. At the moment I am still in the honeymoon phase, enjoying being free of cigarettes for the first time in decades, so I am just happy for now with vape kits that I don't have to do much thinking or research about. :sillygrin:

But I am slowly moving up - I think I read a review of yours on this, anyway, just got the Innokin Kroma A with the Zenith Tank, so I now will be able to sub-ohm and vary watts etc. Looks like a nice device. I have some Halo Cigs juice coming in the post soon, so I will wait till the new juice arrives before I try the new Kroma A and Zenith Tank.

Noe and Rayjay like this.