1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Taste Query

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Grumpycat, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Grumpycat

Grumpycat New Member

Hi all
    Just picked up a Halo Triton II and a sample pack of Halo juice plus Prime15 liquid all with 12mg nicotine.

Long time smoker 40 plus years, tried 3 different liquids all are tasting for a word burnt i suppose.
    Is this normal or am i possibly doing something wrong. I dont expect to replicate smoking but thought taste may have been better. Flavours ordered or tried are Prime 15, Cookie Karma, Solar Smash and a few others from Halo Evo Sample pack which i have yet to try.
    Also going to air out bottles for a while to see if it improves ? (cant remember terminology for it)
    Any help appreciated ....got a lot to learn

Cheers

Steve

Old Grump, margyb and Pippi like this.
  2. DogMan

DogMan Butler

you are probably either running too much power into your coils, burning the wick, or not leaving the tank sit long enough to prime when you fill it

start on lowest setting, go up slowly until it is right

Maria, Judith, Old Grump and 2 others like this.
  3. Grumpycat

Grumpycat New Member

Hi Dogman,

mmmm dont think i can change power into coil, i will let tank sit overnight and try in the morning.
    coil is .0.75 ohms (8-25W)

Steve

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Old Grump likes this.
  4. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

There are three possibilities here-
    The two Dogman has noted (power input too high, but the Triton battery looks like it only puts out a set power that can't be changed), or not allowing the coil to prime (which shouldnt take more than 30min at most).

Another option is not enough airflow. Try to open the airflow on the tank as much as possible?

Are the liquids you have from Halo too?
    I noticed that they use high PG liquids, which may be thinner than liquids form other vendors that are higher in VG. This could also cause issues with that particular device?

Old Grump, margyb and DogMan like this.
  5. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Oh, and welcome to the cafe :)

Old Grump and margyb like this.
  6. Grumpycat

Grumpycat New Member

Yes liquids also from Halo, cant change power, will let fluid soak overnight into coil. Played with air intake still get terrible taste.
    I have some fluids coming from another vendor so we will see how that goes.
    Can you tell me diff between higher VG and higher PG please ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Maria and Old Grump like this.
  7. DogMan

DogMan Butler

VG is thicker, it is what you add to detergent to make the bubble blowing liquid kids use... it produces bigger clouds
    PG is thinner, simulates "throat hit" which is hard to describe, less clouds

Old Grump likes this.
  8. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Burt flavour sure suggests a wicking problem. The wick shouldn't need overnight to prime. (priming just means ensuring the wick is completely saturated, if they are not, you can burn cotton, which tastes foul and can really hurt on the inhale, will also be little vapor created)
    Try blocking the air intake and sucking a little. Creates a little negative pressure and sucks the juice onto the wick. If you go too far, it will flood and you get gurgling, which is not a big problem. But if you still get the burnt taste then, it suggests a crap coil.
    I reckon

Maria, Old Grump, Noe and 1 other person like this.
  9. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

PG will not cause wicking problems in any device, it will facilitate better wicking in fact.
    PG can in some devices (usually rebuildables that don't have enough wicking, ie user error) help cause leaking issues but will never cause problems with wicking IME.

Steve, I agree with what @Aqualung said but I would go a step further & be sure to remove the coil you have already tried, then get a fresh coil, put 5 or 6 drops of juice into the top of the coil & watch the wick holes on the side of the coil, when they change color (get wet) then your coil is good to screw in. Then fill the tank normally & let it sit upright for 5mins before using it, there should be no need to block the air intake & suck as Aqua suggested at this point (but may be needed if you start out with decent flavor & then it starts to taste a bit burnt).
    If you are still getting a burnt taste after that then it could be the juice itself or it could be that the holes that allow for wicking are too small, can you show us a pic of the coils or post a link to them please?

Also don't have the airflow control (AFC) wide open, sit it about 1/2 open, this will help the tank pull juice into the wicks.

Judith and Old Grump like this.
  10. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

NVM I think I found the coils do they look like this? :

[​IMG]

It appears to have enough provision for wicking with those 4 slots cut out.

Another thing I just thought of, is that you may not have washed out the tank prior to use, this could be the issue if there were any oily machine residues left behind from manufacturing of the tank. I always wash my new juice holding devices in some warm soapy water, then rinse with cold water & allow to dry naturally or use a paper towel to speed the drying up. Never wash the coil with the tank though, this will leave you with a soapy tasting coil.

Oh & this would be the tank to go with those coils:

[​IMG]

Old Grump and margyb like this.
  11. Grumpycat

Grumpycat New Member

Yes thats the coil and tank, i have a second unit i will wash it out insert new coil and see how that goes

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Old Grump likes this.
  12. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Definitely replace the coil and wait a good 5-10 minutes to prime. You can also put a few drops directly into the coil before you mount it.

If the original coil burnt badly at the start, you will never get the burnt taste out of it no matter how well it is wicking after the fact.

Let us know how you go with the new coil.

Old Grump likes this.
  13. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

That's precisely the point I was making ;)

Old Grump likes this.
  14. Grumpycat

Grumpycat New Member

Hi guys,

update ! primed the coil filled tank and let sit for 30 minutes, all good no more burnt taste.
    Thanks for your help

now to find some decent flavours, any recommendations

Steve

Aqualung, rupert, Maria and 5 others like this.
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Welcome Grumpycat....You sound like our Puss, She very Grumpy all the time, I am only Grumpy when the wife is home.

The boys and girls already solved your problems. I am delighted all is working for you. Regardless of what type of vape I run I personally do not exceedd 50%VG & 50% PG. Yes I know cloud chasers will jump on me and say not enough VG for decent clouds. To them I say, different strokes for different folks.

What I find is that having primed the coils and letting the tank stand for a good 10 mins all is apples and the clouds especially from my rebuilds are grounds for divorce so my wife, who by the way is a vaper tells me.

The other issue I find and I do not know if other vapers have found this, when vaping high VG levels I start coughing up phlem and when lowering the VG to say 50/50 I am ok. High VG also in the car tends to smear windows and in the house as well. Spent the day today with a bottle of Windex cleaning them. O/S visitors comming on the w/e.

Enjoy your stay

16. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Have you been diagnosed with COPD? People with COPD apparently have more trouble using high VG. I increased my PG after I found out why my lungs were not happy and all is OK now. I use at least 50/50 but will probably go higher with my PG next time.

Old Grump likes this.
  17. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

I have no idea what COPD is got a link please @Judith. What I do have is one lung is slightly smaller than the other but I have had that since birth.

18. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

@Judith NM found the link https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000091.htm Nope never been diagnosed with it but the symptoms fit.
    Symptoms may include any of the following:

• Cough, with or without mucus
    • Fatigue
    • Many respiratory infections
    • Shortness of breath (dyspnea) that gets worse with mild activity
    • Trouble catching one's breath
    • Wheezing
    I thought this may have been caused by 40 odd years of smoking but since switching to vaping they have improved. I do not get many respiratory infections now, but when I was smoking I did get pnumonia twice but have not had it for more than 4 years now. Did not even have a cold for two years now. That in itself is miraculous as we have had some harsh winters in Tassie. Might go and see the local MD tomorrow thanks for the heads up.

Judith likes this.
  19. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

When i first started i also tryed a few halo flavors what i found helpful was try a few 10ml sample bottles from a few different companies in different flavors
    Dont be afraid to try out side your usual taste preference, i found out from doing this i love fruit vapes but still won't eat fruit of any sort.
    and i hate strong tabaco vapes now but like the mellow blend ones with caramal and love cake and cream ones which i thought i would never like when i started vaping
    Supervape store, flavor republic,the vaper caper, are the ones i have used for pre mix and have been good on flavor,price and customer service.
    there are meny otheres as well that i haven't used but i got in to diy early on so i haven't used meny companies for pre mixed but love trying them when i get a freebee with my gear

rupert and Old Grump like this.
  20. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

There are several Aussie companies that also do sample bottles of their ready to vape juice. There is one on this forum that I have purchased from @rupert and they are simply delicious. The other one I also found good was www.aussie-ecigs.com he sends free samples I get a few concentrates from him and also buy bulk glyc from him as I to DIY now its a damn side cheaper. There are heaps of links on YouTube as to how to DIY. Its fun and at least you know what goes into your juice.

Moving towards a tobacco free World!