1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

NJOY files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Research, Health and Legal' started by The Vaper, Sep 20, 2016.

1. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

NJOY Files For Bankruptcy
    Reddit commentators note that a Chapter 11 filing is effectively a statement of intent to reorganise and continue.

2. Donna

Donna Senior Member

3. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Good riddance to bad rubish

Moving towards a tobacco free World!

4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Cigalikes were always likely to phase out naturallly, as smokers move on to better, more effective starter devices & as vapers educate each other more & more about devices that are more effective.
    Still a little surprising to see a "big player" like Njoy to do this, I would have thought they'd have a few products &/or strategies to salvage sustainability in the market place.

Old Grump likes this.
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

The problem with those e-ciggies @Noe they were just to damn expensive. I was offered one by a mate years ago and honesty I prefered an ego VV and a Kangartech T3s in those days.

You are quite right people have moved on to better products.

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

NJoy are a good company. They have refused from the start to sell out to tobacco companies, and that may have been part of the reason they failed. Big tobacco companies have very aggressive and expensive advertising and marketing campaigns, so their products ended up being the only ones in stores everywhere in the US. Hard to compete with that.

NJoy also spent a lot of money suing the FDA years ago when they were going to deem ecigs a medical product and basically outlaw them unless approved by themselves. It it wasn't for NJoy the situation in the US would have been a lot worse than it is today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/53kjoa/njoy_files_for_chapter_11_bankruptcy/

7. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

I don't think they were bad rubbish. Dated maybe but bad rubbish no. A lot of smokers would prefer a smaller device that looks a bit like smoking. Especially when they first start. Some people don't enjoy the fiddling around or the steep learning curve that box mods offer. And they were the only cigalikes that weren't owned by big tobacco. If these guys go under and all the court cases fail all that will be left on the American market will be big tobacco products.

Old Grump, Donna, Jennifer and 3 others like this.
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

I will not retract what I said. They were overpriced rubbish. As to sueing this or that. If you don't provide for the contingency of a litigation loss then more fool you. People that made look alike cigarettes is what gave vaping the stigma of smoking the very concept of their product is what gives all of us that are struggling to legalise vapes with Nic is that they are labelled in beutocractic brains as e-CIGARETTES.

Now consider this: In Qld and Vic they have been placed in the same restricive category as Tobacco Products!

Why?

The stigma of the word CIGARETTE!

We now are jumping up and down with delight that we have a federal politician on side.

In my 65 years on this planet and having lived in 4 countries I have yet to find a politician I can fully trust.

Tobacco products currently earn the treasury around 90% in tax revenue when you add GST & Tobacco / Alcohol excise.

Now we have a back bencher quietly pretending to be on side and trying to help reform about.

OK we get our legislation through and Nic vapes become legal. Note I used the word VAPES.

The federal treasurer will laugh all the way to the bank. Yep, he will say, we have legal precedence. Viz., Qld & Vic they in Tobacco category already we will make this AUSTRALIA WIDE and as this the same category we will apply the SAME TAX RATE.

Politicians may give a little something with one hand but GRAB ALL THEY CAN WITH BOTH HANDS.

(Capitals for emphasis )

9. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

lol! So you've been very clear about why this isn't going to happen.....have you got any suggestions for making sure it does happen? :sillygrin:

I understand your cynicism about politicians, and about cigalike makers, and I agree that the word 'e-cigarette' is unfortunate. But I don't think you can blame NJoy for that.

If it wasn't for cigalikes there would be NO vaping. It was because cigalikes were invented that gave smokers the idea to start modding them and ultimately turn them into vapes.

So demonising them is like demonising desk top computers because you can't take them holiday like you can an iPad.

Judith, The Vaper, Old Grump and 2 others like this.
  10. Angela

Angela Rebel Against the Sewing Machine

I love cigalikes. I'm just waiting for someone to make one that has decent battery life and power. I guess that will be a while though.

I also love the word "cigarette". It's so much sexier and Frenchier than "vape" or "ENDS".

When I was a smoker I would never have been interested in something called a "personal vaporiser", which to me sounds like something that should never be used in public. When I first came across the term "electronic cigarette" on the internet I was immediately drawn to them. I thought it sounded bizarre mind you, like an electronic beer glass, or electronic underpants or something, but it piqued my interest.

I think the "N word" is the problem in Australia.

11. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

@Jennifer Oh yes it has a strong chance of happening, and when it does, then beware of the dog that bites the tax man. Are you going to pay the same tax for your juice as you would for a packet of cigs?
    Damned if I will.:mad:

The original inventors of the E-cig and a brief history is found here: http://www.healthecigarette.com.au/news/who-invented-the-electronic-cigarette
    Herbert Gilbert in 1963. Hon Lik the Chinese chemist improved on them. No they were not the look - alike ciggies but more like the Ego Vape pen with the refillable atomiser.
    The Ciggy look- alikes with the disposable carto's came much latter as people liked a quick smoke and did not like messing with refillable tanks etc.,

If you remember Jen, there were years ago candy look -alike ciggies that went of the market. Because of the appeal to kids mimicking adults smoking.
    Just like there is a push to remove all the lovely candy flavoured juices that we now enjoy for the fear that they will attract children.

Now remember Jen, when my partner posted her proposed submission to the TGA she deliberately referred to them as ESD electronic smoking devices. She got stood on for calling them that. Yet we are all happy calling Vapes E-Cigarettes. Now what is a E-Cigarette and what do you do with a cigarette?
    The word cigarette or Electronic Smoking Device bears the same stigma SMOKING.

I do not blame Njoy alone, I blame everyone that markets and promotes the E-Ciggy look alikes. I fell that they should be banned and if we are serious about a vape being a good substitute to Tobacco Harm Reduction then the word Cigarette should be forgotten and referred to as a TOBACCO PRODUCT.....Nicotine is not only found in Tobacco. It naturally occurs in many plants tomatos for one. Are we going to stop growing tomatos in Australia because they contain Nicotine? No, you cannot smoke tomatos :sillygrin: Lol I tried once when I was desperate and had no tobacco and my nearest tobacco shop was 600km away. YUK. I tried smoking the dried tomato leaves. The things you do when you are desperate.

12. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Cigarette and the N word are inseparable @Angela. There was never a problem with the N word when it came to other NRT products made by pharmaceutical companies so why the hang up with the N word when it comes to vapes?
    Could it be the Pharama's and the Tobacco Companies want the monopoly?
    What is the difference between a ventolin vapouriser used in public my many asthma sufferers? They look a damn side more uglier than a vape. Have you seen the mini vapouresso it is even smaller than the Ventolin Vapouriser. I think it absolutely sexy. My wife snuffled it as soon as it arrived. I posted a pic of it in What Vape Mail you get today.
    You will never see a decent battery for something the size of a cigarette. It is impossible to pack in that much chemical into a tube that small. I was a pipe smoker and have bought just about every e-pipe that came out finally ending up with a Smok Guardian III for the same reason as you want a bigger battery for your ciggy The Guadrian uses an 18650 and not those small 18350's as used in earlier e-pipes. Here is another Pic, if that ain't sexy and compact I give up.

[​IMG]

13. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Yeah.. I shake my head when Hon Lik expresses regret at the name.

What else are you gonna' call them that smokers would actually know what they are? Nico-Mist? Fog-It?
    Exactly.

margyb, Judith and Old Grump like this.
  14. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Simple: HANDS.. Handy Alternate Nicotine Delivery System. Or ANDS drop the handy bit.

15. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Why does everyone want to change a word which is commonly understood and frequent use. The people who mostly want to change it seem to be public health people. I use, and like using, e-cigarette for the same reason as Angela, I paid attention when I heard the word. Vaporiser would have made me think of another useless NRT product. There are many people who have used cigalikes to either stop smoking or to make them interested enough to try something more powerful. According to ASH UK something like 6% (can't remember exactly) of smokers are using cigalikes instead of smoking. Can't they have that option?

I will always be grateful to NJoy for stopping the push to ban vaping in the USA in 2009 (?). Without their efforts vaping would have virtually ceased to exist in the USA and there would not have been millions of vapers in the USA to fight the FDA and to promote vaping to smokers.

If nicotine is allowed for consumer sale in Australia it will be because it is accepted as a method of harm reduction. If it is less harmful than tobacco (and the excuse from the government for outrageous taxation to help people stop smoking) then there is no justification for the same level of tax being applied to nicotine liquid.

Cheer up Old Grump, things are not as bleak as you think.

16. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

I doubt this is the last we will be hearing from NJoy; moreover the folks behind the scenes. Their e liquids were far and above that of other cigalike companies (think China) and their cigalikes were and are considerably better than most. NJoy are perhaps the only cigalike based company I have time for, and as such, I trust they find a way to continue..

17. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

After all this talk about NJOY, I'm tempted to get a Recharge Premium Kit next pay day!

I'm trying to talk myself out of it though, given the 'international postage' and the delay, it is not really practical for Australians (unless they have plenty of $, are OK with online orders & waiting for the product to arrive).

BTW - NJOY offers flavour choices, but says nothing in regard to nicotine strength. Does anyone know what mg/mL they use in the (non 'King') range linked above? I'm trying to figure out if NJOY products would be legal to sell in Australia, should the 36 mg/mL TGA app. be successful.

Edit: Changed wrong value of nic. levels in TGA application. Oops! :p

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  18. Donna

Donna Senior Member

I think I've tested buying from them before and they don't sell to Australia. I might be wrong so give it a go if you choose.

19. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Hey there Mr.. The Vaper. NJoy artisan e liquids are pretty darn good with nic; non nic are not so.

How much nicotine is in NJOY products?

NJOY Daily

• Rich Tobacco: 4.5% nicotine by weight
    • Cool Menthol: 4.5% nicotine by weight
    • Blue + Black Berry: 4.5% nicotine by weight
    NJOY King

• Bold: 4.5% nicotine by weight
    • Gold: 2.4% nicotine by weight
    • Menthol: 3.0% nicotine by weight
    NJOY Recharge

• Bold: 4.5% nicotine by weight
    • Gold: 2.4% nicotine by weight
    • Menthol: 3.0% nicotine by weight
    • Pomegranate: 1.8% nicotine by weight
    NJOY Vape

E-liquid: 10mg/ml or 15mg/ml nicotine by volume

NJOY Pre-Filled Tanks

All e-liquid flavors: 15mg/ml or 1.5% nicotine by volume

NJOY Artist Collection

E-liquid: 0mg/ml nicotine, 3mg/ml nictotine, 6mg/ml nicotine, 12mg/ml nicotine or 18mg/ml nicotine by volume.

20. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Yes, I was wondering that given they mentioned 'free postage' & there is the potential legal issue if they sell to consumers in a country where possession of nicotine is effectively illegal sans prescription.

If I try to go ahead with it, will report back. I might just send them a query now..

Old Grump likes this.