1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Notch Coils

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by Firekombi, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Firekombi

Firekombi Senior Member Vendor

Hi.

Anyone got any thought on any notch coil?

I am thinking of venturing into it, but like to hear from someone who has gone before.

Thanks

Pippi likes this.
  2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

They work well for me. I have them in 3 different atties and they are fine.

But I also have all different sorts of coils on the go as well and use them all.

They are just a coil really but the thing I like is that they heat up extremely fast.

Firekombi, Noe, emu and 1 other person like this.
  3. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Good to use in single coil mode on a RBA with a large deck. Using them in dual coil mode may make resistance too low (it woud be for me).
    Like RC said, ramp up time is quick & that is the main advantaghe of notch coils compared to some other types.

Firekombi and RC. like this.
  4. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I used the wismec SS ones, and truth be told, I didn't like them.
    They are easy to use, but were too hot for my liking, used about 2x more cotton than I usually wick with, and required more frequent dripping.

Firekombi likes this.
  5. Noe

In TC mode, the heat can be controlled.
    I prefer larger inner diameter coils, it means the wicks don't need changing as frequently IME. Case in point, my Limitless plus has 3.5mm inner dia coils (not notch coils) on it & I have not changed the wicks for over 2 weeks (they need changing today or tomorrow though) the flavor is still good but the juice in the tank has just started to go very dark, with smaller inner dia coils, this would have happened much sooner & I would need to change wicks more frequently.
    Notch coils have I think a 4mm inner dia, which I think should mean even longer between needing to change out a wick but I have not done a lot of testing with notch coils.

Firekombi likes this.
  6. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I bought the notch coils specifically to test out on TC, and am not a big TC fan.
    I found that they do perform better in TCmode, but still required me to jack up the temp and wattage to get a vape as satisfying as my standard VW builds.

I think TC just isn't for me.

7. emu

emu Banned

I haven't tried notched coils although I would love to give em a go, SS316 is my favorite wire and I use it in my Goblin mini and Serpent mini and get a nice sweet clean taste at 80% VG.
    The fast ramp up time with notched coils is appealing, Do they come in different sizes ?

8. Noe

Short answer, no (at least I don't think so).
    There are a few differnt brands but I think they are all 4mm inner dia(at least the ones I have seen), so you want a rather large deck to use them on.

emu likes this.
  9. emu

emu Banned

That rules me out then, doesn't matter I'm happy with what I have just curious.

10. Noe

I had some new coils arrive today, which I'm excited to try, called Clapception coils.
    Basically, they are a clapton coil that has been wrapped(claptoned)with another clapton wire (instead of the usual plain round wire outer).
    The overall wire dia is thick & it's going to need some posts with big post holes to make contact in but the inner dia isn't as big as I'd like, so I am going to try rewinding the coils to 3.5mm dia & see how they go on the Limitless plus RDTA, which has a big build deck & big post holes.
    Have I mentioned I love these Ijoy RDTAs yet? :cheeky:

emu and Firekombi like this.
  11. Firekombi

Firekombi Senior Member Vendor

Fasttech has some range from 4mm-5mm diameter.

emu likes this.