1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohm Drop Question

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Old Grump, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

G'day all, especially @Noe as you seem an expert in this field
    I have had a strange occurance.
    I am running a Tsunami clone with a duel coil setup. When I did the build the initial Ohm resistance was 0.14 which is fine for my Rx200s and my Pressa 100w mod. Now at the moment I am using this as a dripper and it seems that when I take the cap off and drip juice into it at times the resistance drops to 0.07 ohm and that will not work on my mods.

I have checked the grub screws and they are tight and both coils are fireing correctly. I just cannot understand the resistance fluctuation???? This has never happened to me with any other drippers and I have three of them.

2. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Could be an issue with the positive pin.
    Remove the RDA, check the pos pin is tight and give it another whirl.

Old Grump likes this.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Thankee @rupert Yep pulling the bugger apart now. :scratch::scratch::scratch:

rupert likes this.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

@rupert just pulled it apart and no the positive pin is tight and so is the positive post. Gremlins in the works somewhere and on my resitance tester is reads correct 0.14 ohm. Getting splinters scratching my head:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:

It does not do it when I drip by removing the drip tip to drip juice in but only if I take the cap off. There is plenty of space between the coils and the side of the cap.. Weirdsville.

rupert likes this.
  5. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Weird, Im not too sure then mate - sorry.

Old Grump likes this.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

This Tsunami clone must be haunted. Now its has stopped doing it. Mind you I love it, now the wife has gone to work I am having a ball with the fog bank this baby creates

rupert likes this.
  7. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I have the authentic 24mm version and it rocks! Highly recommend :)

8. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Can't wait for the squonker pins to arrive from VE and then I will have some fun. I see Vaporesso are also making a similar rda. VE has them. Silly me I had to buy this clone from FT. Should have gone to VE and bought the vaporesso. It comes with the pin. Delivery much quicker than Slowteck

9. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

I had this with my kayfun clone from fasttech when i would open and close the juice flow it would frustrat the hell out of me, hope it comes right for you

Old Grump likes this.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

@Wanda The Kayfun I can understand doing this, very poor space tollerance. The problem seems to have disapeared. Mind you an exorcism ritual helps:spank::spank::spank: to chase out the gremlins

11. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Well done:) i gave up on mine thorght i will wait and get a 5 might have better luck with that

Old Grump likes this.
  12. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Sometimes the tiniest bit of metal in the atomiser can do that. It is worth giving it a really good clean with lots of agitation and with the atomiser pulled apart as much as possible including removing the positive pin if you are comfortable doing that.

Old Grump likes this.
  13. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Thanks for that might give it a go tonight see what happens

Old Grump and Judith like this.
  14. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Thanks it seems to have stoped doing it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Judith likes this.
  15. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Yep if you have wire trimmings inside the posts ( some RDAs have hollow posts below where the screws tighten) they can move around & change the resistance, for that reason i always make sure I remove any mits or resistance wire trimmings.

Another thing it can be, if you are using contact coils ( often called micro coils), is if they are not making proper contact between the windings, this can have the ohms jumping about a bit until there is enough gunk build up on the coil to insulate between the windings causing the issue. It sounds to me like this is what was happening with Old Grump, because when you drip juice onto the coil it would also change the resistance between those soft contact point(s), just slightly.
    When you are working with sub ohm values, every minute detail of your build can affect the resistance, with time & experience you learn to take care of the details & get them right.

Judith and Old Grump like this.
  16. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Thanks Noe,
    I suppose that is why some mods that have TC allow you to lock the resistance value. Not into TC myself although have tried it with Ni & SS coils?

rupert likes this.
  17. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Im the same. A lot of hassle for not much payoff IMO.
    I am sure that TC will get better eventually though.

Old Grump likes this.
  18. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

I have 5 TC mods. I like a warm vape . Two of my mods require settings for something called a Temperature Co Efficient and trying to get my head around this to me is Rocket science!

Most TC mods go up to 600F. When Vaping a Ni coil it doesn't do a thing for me. I get better satisfaction Vaping a duel Clapton 0.4 ohm at 50w than I do with the TC Ni.

With SS I have to drop the temperature right down to 350F as anything above that is to hot. Then the over temperature protection cuts in and I don't get the desired lung hit.

I know about all this formaldehyde hype. My vape never gets hot enough for this reaction to occur. I rarely go over 60 w and keeping the wattage where my sweet spot is am content.!

rupert likes this.
  19. DogMan

DogMan Butler

TCE is how much the resistance changes with heat I think.

Sub ohmers on mechs who use SS use it to pish boundaries. Since an 0.14 build cold might be 0.16 heated.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

rupert and Old Grump like this.
  20. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

The only Mechanical mod I use now days is the drip box 60 w squonker. Even then when I get the desired cloud/or LH which doesn't take much I let go of the fire button.

Mechanical mods never were a toy I liked. I feel a lot safer with the 10 second cut out feature.