Please help me find a vape in Perth

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jennifer McCormack, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Jennifer McCormack

Jennifer McCormack New Member

I promised my best friend a new rig as a present as her one is failing. Thinking this would be as easy as going to the local smokemart I was shocked to find out that they have to be ordered online due to new rules. My friend goes back to Albany tomorrow. I really need to get one today. Does anyone know of a way to get one? Willing to travel in Perth metro area. Maybe someone keeps a new one still in its box on hand as a spare in case theirs fails and won't mind selling it to me and replacing it? I have been advised to ask for a dual battery mod with at least 200w. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Jenny

Rayjay likes this.
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Hi Jenny, sorry for the late reply but I thought you'd like to know why we can't sell vape devices in Perth or WA.
    Unlike every other state in Australia, it is illegal to sell vape devices in WA. It is not illegal to own & use them, just to retail them.
    In a nutshell, the Cancer Council & the WA Health Dept., decided to take a WA Vape store owner (who is or was a member of this forum), Vince Van Heerden(sp) to court for selling products (eGo type batteries with clearomisers or atomisers) that resembled cigarettes. Under the tobacco act regulation (I don't recall the exact reg # offhand) that was originally intended to ban & remove the "Fags" type candy cigarettes from sale in WA, which it was said helped encourage kids to become smokers.
    Vince, won his case at Magistrate's court, which was instantly appealed by the Cancer Council and taken to District court, where Vince lost the case. He then appealed (after crowd funding through the vape community, to help cover legal costs) to the Supreme court and subsequently lost again, at much cost to him & his family.
    Essentially, the size, look or type of device sold makes no difference, the ruling was that the vapor exhaled "looks like smoke from a cigarette", so any device that produces vapor that mimics smoke exhaled from a cigarette, that isn't an approved tobacco product (you know the highly toxic things that the Govt. makes loads of $ selling us) is illegal to sell in WA.

Prior to this court case, WA had a few well known (in the vape community at least) vape stores & even had some Bricks & Mortal vape stores, which you would have been able to visit & purchase a device from for your friend. However, in light of the District Court appeal & subsequent Ruling, all WA vape stores closed. There may be some vendors selling vape pens at markets etc & risking large fines by doing so but I am not aware of any.
    Ironically, I recently heard from a WA vaper that "smokemart sells replacement coils" for some devices. I have not visited a smokemart to check the validity of this but I have no reason to disbelieve what I was told. So given that smokemart is a large chain store, they would have looked into the legallity of selling replacement parts for vape devices, one would assume. Which makes me think that perhaps Mods could be sold too, as long as they are not marketed as vaping devices, it's not illegal to sell eg. battery boxes for recharging mobile phones & some Mods are actually capable of doing just that. However, it would be a very brave retailer that would tempt fate & risk being taken to court in an attempt to sell Mods under the guise of mobile recharging boxes.

[​IMG]

margyb likes this.
  3. Jennifer McCormack

Thanks for the information. What a nanny state we have turned into! I used to love those lollies as a little kid and never once did I mistake them in any way for a cigarette nor was tempted by cigarettes because of them. I was the reason my parents quit smoking actually when I was young. I knew from what I had seen on TV that cigarettes were dangerous. I told my parents that they had to quit because cigarettes had sharks in them lol. Now I am so impressed with these new devices and some of the research on them that I am not only supporting my friend in changing to this healthier option but looking into it for my mum who has had issues with habit eating lollies ever since giving up cigarettes when I was little. There is some good research into weight loss using nicotine free vapes to replace habit eating.

margyb and Noe like this.
  4. Noe

For you mum, I would look into some kind of pod system. One that is user fillable & instead of using nicotine juice or nic salt juice, use zero mg ejuice, in fruity or bakery type flavors.
    I have not tried many pod systems myself but going off of reviews I have seen, I would be inclined to recommend the Vladdin RE (RE for refillable, there is a non refillable pod version too), here's a youtube review of that system that I found:

margyb likes this.
  5. Jennifer McCormack

I don't know whether to thank you or groan loudly at opening up an even greater range of products on an already overwhelming list lol. I had read pods are more expensive and less flavours available but I guess the refillable will change that.

Browsing on behalf of my mum. I had sort of narrowed it to looking for a vape of the pen/stick variety with intelligent temperature control sensors (temperature control seems the most important thing in making the coils last as well as not accidentally overheating the liquid and ruining the taste or burning your throat. The next was replaceable rechargeable batteries so I can help keep spare batteries on charge since mum often forgets to charge her phone. I think the battery is built in on the pod but the unit itself looks cheaper so I guess you could have a second unit on charge. Easy to use design in rainbow colour is available in both types. Since either the tank or pod is refillable and there's ways to have a spare on charge for both I and really not sure which is best. I did not like the cost of the pod replacements that added up too fast. However I have found little information on the cost of the refillable pod, how long you can use it before you need to replace it because of the built in wick and coil. I know vape pens have a wick and coil that need replacing and no idea how difficult it is to do so a pop out and pop in replacement sounds promising if the refillable pod is a reasonable price and depending on how long it lasts. I will share this with Mum. Thanks for the additional information

margyb likes this.
  6. Noe

LOL Choosing the right gear when starting out, especially for someone else is always difficult.
    Here's my reasoning behind advising on the Vladdin RE, aside from it being refillable:
    1. It is getting very good reviews by all reviews I have seen.
    2. Unlike many pod systems, this one is reported not to leak juice & get messy.
    3. It is small & light weight, easily slipping into a pocket or handbag, without weighing you/it down.
    4. The coils are use ceramic, so will out last cotton wick coils. I have had experience using ceramic wick coils in the past & compared to regular cotton wick coils (which will need replacing every week or two) they will last up to 4 times longer, while costing around the same for replacements.
    5. They are simple to use, without a bunch of settings to worry about, just fill, plug & play.
    6. Recharging to full takes less than an hour & you can vape on the device while it is charging.
    7. With a pod system, you can carry spare pods, ready filled & change out the flavor by changing a pod, so you could for example carry 3 different flavors & alternate them to suit your mood ( a bit like dipping into a pack of wine gums & pulling out a different flavor each time).

Another advantage with a ceramic wick coil vs cotton is it is less likely to get burnt if the pod runs out of juice & you vape on it, this is important I think because a burnt wick tastes terrible & usually means you need to replace a coil (or a pod). Because ceramic has a higher limit before burning , when you take a puff that has little to no vapor or flavor, you'll realise it is time to swap pods &/or refill - without damaging the coil or pod.

Without shopping around too much I was able to find the Vladdin at an Au vendor for $38 & 4 replacement pods for $20, here:
    https://www.victoryvape.com.au/products/vladdin-re-pod-starter-kit-350-mah-1-5ml
    https://www.victoryvape.com.au/products/vladdin-re-replacement-pods-1-5ml-4-pack

margyb likes this.