Rebuilding Kits

Discussion in 'Modding and Technical' started by Rayjay, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

I received this beauty the other day from a dear friend in NZ. None too soon as my old kit was getting rather long in the tooth. I can understand what every implement is for except for the black tube with the holes on top. Wtf is it? What u use that one for?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Looks like some sort of coil winding thingy... perhaps.

Rayjay likes this.
  3. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

It is but how the hell you use it. Nice kit no instructions.
    Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

4. RC.

RC. Senior Member

It must have posts that you can swap about and put in it somehow or somewhere so that they poke out the end.

Without a personal inspection I can't really tell you anything really.

So sorry, not much help.

Rayjay likes this.
  5. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

I found what it is. Similar to this one but a cheap clone imitation.

Would be nice if some sort of instruction was included.
    Yes it works but feeding the wire through the slot and holding it is a pain.

6. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Well at least you know how it works now which is good I suppose.

7. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Ja Vol nein sprechen ze Deutsch. Pmsl.
    Before some here get their panties in a knot, what I replied was translated, Yes. No speak German.

8. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

The Tenna is a much better coil winding jig. If you into jigs, I personally prefer different diameter drill bits. The rest of the Vaporam kit is but I have seen better. Looked it up on a few Aussie sites and around the $60-$70 mark, would I buy one?
    No. Very cheap poor quality pliers, cutters and the folding scissors are rubbish. The tank pliers ceramic tip are also poor quality. The screw drivers and the other tweezers about on par with what you might find in a reject shop.

Then again, never look a gift in the

9. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I have a couple of jigs but I usually just use a $2.50 coil winding wand, just a sort of stepped piece of ss rod.
    Quick and no fuss.

Rayjay likes this.
  10. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Yep I have one of those. As a rule in the past due to work commitments I did not bother with my own winds. Now, hopefully being "retired"; that is if 'she that must be obeyed' leaves me alone, I may have more time to experiment.

I found the ready made jugurnaught as coils from Victory Vapes adequate. Now I have ordered 2 rolls of this wire and will play.

11. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Most of the kits I have seen don't come close to what I want in a kit. Usually there's 1 or 2 bits in it that are useful looking & the rest looks like it's be ok for the short term but the entire kit is overpriced because it includes substandard tools.
    It is far better & more cost effective to buy individual tools & make your own kit based on your own needs IMO. This way you only pay for the tools you want & you know they are likely to be of decent quality.

Flea likes this.
  12. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Most of my rebuild tools come from the local hardware store. Trimmers from a pharmacy, scissors the same, as stated I prefer old drill bits for coil windings. This way I can as Noe said we can choose the quality of the item, and not be stuck with rubbish. The only rebuilding item Purchased by me has been a good ohm meter and ceramic tweezers from my supplier. The kit I first started this thread with was a gift. The only part of it I like is the ohm meter which is reasonable and the zip bag.

13. Noe

One thing I have a problem with with nearly every rebuilding kit that comes to market is the pliers. They are usually tooth jawed (I don't recall seeing a kit that has not included tooth jawed pliers) & IMO that is the wrong type of plier for the job of working with coils for vaping.
    Toothless long nose or "jewelers" pliers (smaller & better for our needs) are the best pliers for the job.

The scissors in most kits, I wouldn't use to cut paper if I needed a neat job, let alone my cotton wicks.
    The best scissors for cutting wicks would be hairdressers scissors but these are pretty expensive, instead I use "Chinese sweat shop" scissors - the kind that cut fabric easily & quickly because they are very sharp & stay sharp. These can be found cheap online, they have large D type handles, usually gold plated, the D type handle means your fingers don't get stuck in them too.
    A clean cut on your cotton wick means less mucking about & better juice flow in use, without any need to "fluff" your wicks.

These for example are similar to the ones I have, also I never use them for anything else:
    [​IMG]

Flea, emu and Rayjay like this.
  14. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

As I have always stated buy cheap Asian made & suffer the consequences of the same. My scissors are of surgical quality steel.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

15. Noe

When it comes to blades, Asians were always making the best thoughout the ages. Surgical grade steel is nice but it is still just stainless LOL

16. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Yes made in Switzerland and not China Japs made good blades in the past medieval days as did the Chinese. In those days quality and craftsmanship was highly respected and valued. Make crap for your Shogan or Mandarin and you would risk being executed.

Present time Japanese manufacture is still acceptable good quality. I still have my Sanyo Transistor which is 25 years old, My Toyota when sold was 27 years old and still fetched a good price.

Please explain O know all Panda why no mod from China comes with the minimum 12 mth warranty as required in Au. They know their stuff is crap and if it lasts 12 mths you are indeed fortunate. No Au vendor or Chinese vendor will give you 12 mths warranty on a mod and yes some are expensive.