Recommend a beginner tier weighing scale

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by Benjamin Walter, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Benjamin Walter

Benjamin Walter New Member

Good evening Vape fam,

I hope that I have posted this in the correct section

I am looking for some advice from veteran DIYers pertaining to equipment

Currently I am mixing juice using syringe of multiple sizes but it gets tideious afterawhile having to consistantly wash them after every mix to prevent contamination of flavours

I was wondering if there are any seasoned mixers here that can give a review of their current weighing scale and if its reccomendable

Thank you

Benjamin Walter

2. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Benjamin Walter, laurie9300 and Admin like this.
  3. emu

emu Senior Member

I gave up bothering with scales and weighing because I find it easier to make bigger batches these days and just measure volume rather than weight, found a great place to buy all sorts of lab supplies called Mad About Science.
    They express ship your order the same day with Australia post and the prices are very reasonable for high quality and high accuracy equipment.

[​IMG]

https://www.madaboutscience.com.au/shop/lab-supplies/cylinders.html

Benjamin Walter, laurie9300 and Admin like this.
  4. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

I have also been using the measuring cylinders for a few years now - I find them far more effective & easier to work with than scales.
    there might be science supply place in your area - I found one near me which saves on postage :)

Benjamin Walter likes this.
  5. Benjamin Walter

6. Benjamin Walter

How do you get accurate measurements while using these cylinders? This seems like a good idea that I may try out

Pippi likes this.
  7. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

Any digital scale that measures in 0.01g will work

If you want one quickly, your local tobacconist should stock one, they sell them for weighing green tobacco.....

If you can wait, and have a low budget, pick one of these that measures in 0.01g.......

https://www.fasttech.com/search?Pocket scale

Benjamin Walter and emu like this.
  8. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Not sure about these particular ones but the ones I have are very accurate - I know because the juice always matchs the level of the bottle I am filling.
    These days I just use two cylinders a 10ml one and a 100 ml - start with the Flavor as its the runniest in the 10 ml , then the Nic and then using the larger one start with the PG as it is the runnier & then finish with the VG - This system works for me but might not for every one but I love having only two vessels to wash and no pesky syringes :)

Flea, Benjamin Walter and emu like this.
  9. emu

emu Senior Member

As Pippi said use different size cylinders according to the final size of the batch you're making, I used to make small 100ml lots but now I mix 500ml's of each flavour/flavourless so it can steep for a long time before I get to it.
    I do the same order as Pippi, so if you want to make 100ml lots at say 3mg's nic you would use a 5ml cylinder and put 3ml's of nic in it. To make 10 mg juice (100 ml) you would use a 10 ml cylinder and so on.

Benjamin Walter and Pippi like this.
  10. Benjamin Walter

Thanks for the recommendation. I've bought juice from fasttech and replacement coils before, they took REALLLLLYY long to ship to WA. The scales shown on the site i've seen some of them on amazon as well. The only thing I didn't like about fasttech is they charge USD, which gives my bank the right to give me crappy exchange rates..

laurie9300 likes this.
  11. Benjamin Walter

Yeah, its really a hassle to having to keep washing them. I use a 1.0ml pippette for my nic, a 1.0ml syringe for the flavors, a 10ml syringe for PG and VG. The flavor syringe is the most troublesome since some mixes have 4-5 different flavors. Having to rinse the syringe up to 5 times per flavor is really a pain in the A**

Pippi likes this.
  12. Benjamin Walter

Yeah, its really a hassle to having to keep washing them. I use a 1.0ml pippette for my nic, a 1.0ml syringe for the flavors, a 10ml syringe for PG and VG. The flavor syringe is the most troublesome since some mixes have 4-5 different flavors. Having to rinse the syringe up to 5 times per flavor is really a pain in the A**

13. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Thanks and if you want to save then the graduated cylinders are a good idea. Personally, I find a 10 and 20 ml work well. There's much debate about measuring by volume vs. by weight and whilst both work, weight is the method universally used by professional e-liquid manufacturers; it's really about maintaining consistency.

If you're wanting to make a few 10 or 30 ml bottles for yourself, just a few per week, you'll be fine utilising graduated cylinders. Another option is to grab a couple of medicine cups from a chemist and or supermarket. Many have ml markings. Good luck and nice to have you here at the forum :)