Recommend a pen or other style for quitting?

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by Richard Watkins, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins New Member

I have been using ego pen-style hardware for a year and a half since I quit tobacco cigarettes, but their batteries are on the way out and they are no longer available to buy.

Also I am not interested in e-cigarettes except to give me the nicotine I still need. I find the plethora of types and models confusing and I have no way of picking an e-cigarette out of the thousands of designs available. All I need is something simple that hopefully fits into a shirt pocket (my trouser pockets are full!).

Can you recommend something, including what replacements parts I will need, to last about a year?

2. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Gday @Richard Watkins , Like you I started with the Ego 2 type pen vapes years ago and progressed to Variable Voltatge / Wattage types. Yes these pen devices are old technology. I now have a collection of over 20 different type mods.

For a simple inexpensive device the size of a cigarette packet I recommend the Joytech Atopack Penguin or its updated version the Dolphin. I use these on the road as they have cartridges that you can fill at home up 8.8ml in capacity and just pop in a cartridge when you run out of juice and do not have to mess with it filling it on the go.
    [​IMG]

You can find these here: https://www.aussie-ecigs.com/products/joytech-atopack-penguin
    Replacement coils are here: https://www.aussie-ecigs.com/products/joytech-atopack-coils

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    As are spare cartridges. https://www.aussie-ecigs.com/products/joytech-atopack-penguin-cartridges-8-8ml

I personally use the 0.25ohm coils and find them great.

The links provided are for a dealer in Qld with whom I have dealt with for many years and is a very reputable dealer and never an issue with warranty and delivery is ultra fast.

3. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Rayjay likes this.
  4. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

5. Richard Watkins

Yes, but I am confused by differences. The ones I use work with KangerTech T2 coils. Are e-go C and e-go T different and do they need different coils?

As I have a stock of coils etc. some e-go batteries would be useful. But is Fastech very bad?

The Penguin looks interesting (but maybe the wrong shape). Is the battery separate or built into the body?

6. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Built into the body and super quick to recharge and do work as a pass through
    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

7. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

No. I've placed more than a dozen orders with them, and the only problem I ever experienced was when there was a delay in stocking the item. They generally indicate on the order when the item is expected to be restocked. Such 'delayed' orders can easily be canceled.

I always opt for the free postage, so orders may take some weeks to arrive. Because I'm using the free postage, I typically split orders into separate products. If one product is delayed by not being in stock, at least it won't delay the others being sent.
    Any of the eGo batteries listed will work with those. You may as well pick some of them up while you're at it.

margyb likes this.
  8. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

The problems I have had with Fastech is in their packing even when paying for extra packing. Also when wrong goods were sent through their fault I returned them by the method they chose Aust. International Air mail. Non track able. Took 6 mths to get credited for returned stock.

9. Richard Watkins

The reason for my question is how long will they last? I have 6 e-gos that I cycle through so each has started failing after not many recharges. Exchangeable batteries are preferable because then you don't have to throw out the whole thing. Excuse my obvious ignorance, but what is a "pass through"?

margyb likes this.
  10. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Vape as you charge

11. Richard Watkins

Thanks. Seems I should buy a few e-gos and a Penguin or two. I have 26 unused coils which should last a while as I wash them and reuse them. No problems so far with getting several uses out of them. (I clean and refresh when the liquid goes dark, wastes a bit but the liquid is cheap.)

The Vaper likes this.
  12. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

I use an ultrasonic cleaner for my coils. Get three times the normal use out of them.

13. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

If you want something that is similar in shape to your eGo's & about the same length (just a bit thicker), then the Aspire Pockex is a very good device that is as simple as a eGo to use, just better than an eGo. I reviewed it, so you can read more about it here: http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/aspire-pockex-all-in-one-review.4436/

The Vaper likes this.
  14. Richard Watkins

Thanks for the info. I have some questions:

How long do the Pockex coils last? That is, how many should I get.

Can the coils be washed?

Do the seals need to be replaced? (Looking at the photos I suspect the seals come with the coils.)

There is no link for the drip tips. Can you provide one please. (I assume the tips can be broken and need replacing occasionally.)

Noe and Rayjay like this.
  15. Noe

The Driptip is a sleeve which slides over a metal protrusion, I have not heard of one being broken or lost & I'd find it near impossible to lose or break one, given how they are connected to the device.

The seals do not need replacing. By the time they will need replacing, you'll be ready to replace the whole unit (it's an all-in-one device with built in battery) due to reduced run times & the need to very frequently recharge it.

I would get a 5 pack of coils to start with, that should give you around 3 months worth of coils. I have not tried washing the coils but I suspect they would be about the same as other cotton wick coils when washed.

The Vaper likes this.
  16. Richard Watkins

Sorry! I don't understand the terminology and I have no idea what a drip tip is for. I actually meant the mouth piece (top cap?). I have to replace them occasionally with the e-go.

Also, I could not find anywhere to buy the battery alone, so if I want more than one then I guess I have to buy several starter kits?

17. Noe

The Pockex is an all-in-one device, this means there is no separate tank & battery, it is all 1 piece. However unlike a lot of other AIOs the Pockex has a replaceable glass tank section, which means if you break the glass that can be replaced but the coils still screw directly into the battery ( you won't be able to use it with a broken glass).
    The Top cap is made of Stainless Steel & does not need replacing, the silcone seal the top cap has is robust & will last (I believe) as long as the battery will, so that doesn't need replacing either.
    The only thing you need to worry about with the Pockex is replacing the coils & filling it with juice, oh & of course ensuring you recharge it when it needs it.

The starter kit is the battery alone, because it is an AIO :)

18. jslJustin

jslJustin New Member

Hi Richard,

if you want an easy-to-use AIO (All in One) kit, then I highly recommend either the Innokin Endura T22 or the Innokin Zenith + Kroma A kit. Both are mostly MTL (mouth to lung draw), although the Zenith + Kroma A can sub-ohm and might be able to do Direct Lung draw (DL).

https://www.vapr.com.au/products/endura-t22-by-innokin?variant=25654614150
    http://www.vapeking.com.au/innokin-zenith-kroma-a-kit/

Both are easy to use. You just need to buy spare coils for them. I used the Endura T22 to quit smoking, works well, good flavour and decent vape clouds. It just works. I also bought spare tanks (you can get spare tanks for both of these), so that I could replace coils and transfer the remaining e-juice across, and then clean the first tank.

I know you were thinking of replaceable batteries, but for example the Endura T22 is less than $50, so given that I guess you'd get at least a year out of it, it works out to only cost you around $1 per week.

Rayjay likes this.
  19. Richard Watkins

I would be interested, but I have already bought some of the other recommendations. When they arrive I will see how I go.

margyb likes this.