Response to attacks from ex Board member.

Discussion in 'New Nicotine Alliance Australia' started by Dr Attila Danko, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Dr Attila Danko

Dr Attila Danko Senior Member

New Nicotine Alliance Australia: recent Board changes and destructive behaviour of an ex Board member.

Recently the Board of the NNA AU was changed to better reflect the wishes of vapers and other nicotine users. We are excited about the changes which include expanding the Board so we can do a better job at advocacy. We have had overwhelming support from the vaping community for these changes. We are itching to get on with the job!

Unfortunately a disgruntled ex Board member who was ejected from the NNA AU is focusing her efforts on tearing us down instead of spending her time to try and get a better deal for vapers. Her attacks and allegations against the NNA AU on social media are relentless. She has made legal threats against us. We have received legal advice and recommendations regarding these threats and they are groundless.

Our Number One priority is to fight for the rights of vapers and other low risk nicotine users. We have therefore until now tried to ignore these distracting, destructive attacks. However, given the wide reach and relentlessness of her attacks on social media we feel compelled to make a public statement about them.

All of her accusations involve selective interpretations of internal decisions made while she was a pivotal Board member. She was involved in these decisions while she was a Board member. Yet now she is out of the organisation she feels compelled to attack from the sidelines.

It is unfair to criticise the current Board on the basis of things that might have happened in the past while three quarters of the Board were not members. We are saddened to have to devote energy and time to defending ourselves against these attacks.

We embrace constructive criticism and indeed the new Board’s priority is greater transparency and engagement so that we can truly represent the community. We would prefer the community to judge us on the current Board and our current and future actions rather than on the basis of the previous Board.

It’s not that we can’t respond to each of the many attacks. It’s just that we don’t want to. . We refuse to be distracted and diverted from our mission. We will not feed the fire of useless conflict and argument, because we have better and more important things to do.

We trust the community to decide for themselves about how much attention to pay to these attacks, whether these attacks have any basis in fact and whether these attacks help or hurt our efforts to represent vapers and to fight for our rights.

sirfoxey, Rayjay, The Vaper and 6 others like this.
  2. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Thanks Attila - Well said.

fabricator4 likes this.
  3. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

That's the bit I like the most.

Pippi and fabricator4 like this.
  4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I wish vaping advocacy in Australia would stop being self destructive.
    We have very little of it as it is & what we do have needs to be focused on the real fight, not in-fighting.

Nico and Laughter likes this.
  5. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Whole point of Attila's Post I think Noe - time to move on and let people do the job they volunteered for.

Rayjay likes this.
  6. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

Yes I agree

Rayjay likes this.
  7. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Edit: Tweet now deleted.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  8. Nico and Laughter

Maybe check with Attila before tweeting it Andrew.

DogMan likes this.
  9. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

What do you think, @Dr Attila Danko?

Actually it's becoming a moot point. The tweet is already being discussed in one private Twitter group.

Note that I did check this was not a 'members only' forum before tweeting it. With the way the net is, it's effectively already in the wild. :shrug:

10. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

your writing for public view has improved a lot, attila :thumbup:

i haven't seen the twitbook stuff, and will just leave it at that :)

fabricator4 likes this.
  11. Nico and Laughter

My concern is that it is airing our dirty laundry in Twitter which is huge as opposed to vca which is quite small.

DogMan likes this.
  12. margyb

Well people from AVF come here to see what the NNA is up to and possibly people overseas, so anyone has access to that info really

Noe likes this.
  13. Noe

The VCA member base may be quite small but this is a public forum & you don't need to be a member here to read a public post.
    Any time you post publicly on the internet, regardless of the medium you're posting to, you should assume it will be seen worldwide.

Admin and Rayjay like this.
  14. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

I too was critical of the Old board of the NNA AU. Now that the board has been restructured and appears to be more open and transparent I wish them all the success. Unfortunately sour grapes indeed go sour and little can be done to sweeten them.

I had received a whole heap of emails from a former member of this forum and also a former member of AVF and describing the so called previous infighting of the then board. I do not accept one sided reports or emails etc., and personally it was none of my business. I thanked that person for his expose and decided to ignore them. Trashed them as I had better things to do with my time in local advocacy. Move forward everyone and I do agree much time alas, would be wasted with all this negativity of former members but how to stop it is a hard question without recourse to expensive legal measures. The only people that make money out of law suits etc., are the lawyers win or loose they still get paid. I only wish I had more knowledge to apply to suggest any way to avert this current sh.... fight. As to twitter I hardly ever use it.

The Vaper likes this.
  15. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

@Noe, My suggestion would be that matters pertaining to NNA AU and other delicate matters should be members only. Public Forums are good for matters pertinent to vapes and vape use. Sensitive matters should be for members only.

16. Noe

Actually, this is the NNA.Au sub-section & it is public, which for reasons of transparency is a good thing.
    I think in light of the public nature of the crap being flung about elsewhere, in regards to the matter, that Dr. Danko's choice to post in a public manner, here, was appropriate.
    Informing NNA.Au members & supporters of the NNA's side of events but also the general public which may have seen posts on other media & wondering what the hell was going on. Remaining silent in such circumstances, could cause some unrest, confusion & more rumors to spread.

At least now we know the NNA's side of events, the position they are taking in regard to them & how they are moving forward.
    It's unfortunate that all the dirty laundry got aired publicly but the NNA didn't choose that path, they just got dragged along it.

margyb, Nico and Laughter and Rayjay like this.
  17. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Yes, the cafe is small - however we do have a large number of guests each day reading the forum and this should be taken into account when considering the potential reach the cafe has.

Rayjay likes this.
  18. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Indeed very unfortunate and sad.

Sent from Taptalk. Vape On & be happy. Live & Let Live Blessed Be!

Pippi likes this.
  19. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

For venting and so forth, this place is fine. The Twitter account must NOT have any abuse or even mentioning issues with previous board members. Keep on message I say.

20. margyb

exactly Noe
    people should be allowed to defend themselves publicly when accusations are made public too

Noe and Pippi like this.