1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Results and experience of my first vape.

Discussion in 'Ask the Veterans' started by Captain Obvious, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New Member

So I fired up my two aspire kits last night and had a play around with them with mixed results. I was able to dial in an amount of airflow that replicated the draw of a cigarette, but I wasn't able to get the voltage right--I always seemed to get either too little vapour, or too much--in the latter case, I would get a decent hacking cough after a pull. I did notice that I seemed to get de-sensitised to the amount of vapour I could take in without coughing over the course of a few hours. I will say that the vape is very harsh--there's no way I could inhale the same amount of vape as cigarette smoke without coughing, which is confusing as I'd have thought it would be the other way around. This also makes it hard to know how much I should be vaping.

The flavours are kind of strange of strange. I wouldn't really call them flavours per se--more like the ghosts of flavours.... kinds of aromatics that aren't tasted directly but rather heavily insinuated. Quite a different phenomenon to the taste of cigarettes. The vaperfi juices were accurate in their descriptions however--pear does 'taste' like pear, apple does 'taste' like apple. The white turtle is too strong for me--very robust, and rich. Don't get me wrong--it's delicious, but just too much for me, a beginner. I am giving this juice away along with the tobacco flavor. Please PM if you want either, they're yours. I definitely preferred the lighter fruit flavours, and might actually buy some unflavoured juice. All my juices are 50/50.

Overall, it's still going to take a lot of tweaking and getting used to. I'm sure I would have had a much better experience if I could get down more vapour without coughing. This is the major hurdle and the main thing I need to work out. I'm actually pretty confident that if I could work through this I can transition to vaping pretty easily.

2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

It takes a bit of practice to get the vaping technique "right", it is not the same as smoking ;)
    My nic strength guide also has a technique for reduced coughing guide : http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/t...ength-plus-technique-for-reduced-coughing.41/ it may help :)

margyb likes this.
  3. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Hang in there, it dose take a while to get use to it and a bit of tweeking :thumbup:
    but the up side is now you know whats not working for you and now you can find options that will work for you, this is one of the grate things with vaping there is so much options out there you can tailor it to suit your personal preference

I found with pre made coils Some times it can take a littie for coils to brake in and can be a bit harsh at first as well
    It might help to if your finding the 50/50 mix is to harsh, give some sample bottles of higher vg juice a go, hubby was the same when he started as well he found that the 50/50 was just way to harsh as soon as he started on the 70/30 to max vg he stopped coughing alot.
    I found trolling through the review threads and the what has the post man delivered to day, a big help when finding tanks and mods to suit exactly what i was after.
    at least here you will get first hand info and thoughts on hardware and if you have any questions you can ask the person directly for additional information or advice on useing it and im sure they will be more than happy to help :)

emu, Maria and Pippi like this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Butler

spinner/vv style egos are famed for burning wicks

start on the lowest setting, if your device works by clicks, then one click at a time up until it is right

if it tastes like smoke at all, back it off back down

more vapour can be achieved by higher vg, and/or more airflow, as well as a more modern setup [which tend to be less harsh]

keep posting, don't give up

Maria, margyb, Donna and 1 other person like this.
  5. Captain Obvious

Thanks Dogman. I really do want this to work but what I have at the moment just isn't going to. I've bought some higher VG ratio juices in unflavoured, and some lower strength nic juices, but I'm starting to think that maybe I've assembled my vapers incorrectly. It seems like I have to draw very hard to get even a little vapour out of them, and when I do that, I'm met with a bubbling, gurgling sound. I haven't been able to find any negative reviews on the aspire premium kits and everyone rates the nautilus mini tanks very highly. I wonder if I've done, or am doing something wrong--this seems much more likely to me. In all the videos I watch of people reviewing them, they're getting large amounts of vape with minimal dragging power....I'm just not even getting close.

I've read that there are a lot of knock-off nautilus premium kits out there however and would would not surprise me for a moment if the Australian vendors I bought them from have sold me bullshit kits, or at least tanks and coils. I might try buying an entire new setup as well and see what happens, but direct from the manufacturer this time. Any recommendations? I just want something that's reliable and as idiot proof as possible.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  6. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Sorry to hear that it your aspire not going good. some times it can be that the coil is shot right out of the box ive had this meny times, they dont fire proppaly and then flood and leek
    For fuss free kits ive really been liking the aspire AOI at the moment and for $26-$29 its the price ao a pack of smokes there totaly fuss free
    The tank is built in so no leaking you just un screw the lid screw on the coil after a little prime with some juice, fill tank to the line and pop lid with coil back on and screw down its a tighter dwaw for mouth to lung (MTL) but dose has air flow control and you have the option of useing cubis coils if you need more vaper and never had a problem even with max vg this litte guy has been grate to fill and go when im in a hurry on my way out the door

If your looking for a fuss free direct lung (DL) kit for a looser draw more vaper and a smother vape i highly recommend super vape stores sub ohm kit, this little kit has been grate ever since i got it the only down side it is a bottem full tank but its a grate tank it has a good air flow control so you can get a slightly airy tight draw up to fully open its a 50watt stick so you have the power there if you need it i quite often stick my other tanks with rda's in them on it and never had a problem, there around $45 from what i can rember or you get one free if you spend $50 on ejuice
    Hope this helps:)

7. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Did you let your coils soak for 5 - 10mins before trying them?
    This is a common mistake newbies make, filling & using a tank as soon as it is full, when the coil is new.
    Giving the coil time to soak, helps it to wick better & means you won't be getting dry hits, which being new to vaping may be what you are getting.
    Also start at low watts & work your way up 1W at a time until you are getting good flavor, then a bit more slowly increase the wattage & if the flavor starts to taste burnt back off the wattage 1 or 2W.
    The Nautilus should have adjustable airflow, try it at its medium setting to dial in the wattage for your coil, do not be concerned about whether it is the same kind of draw you were getting when smoking, it is not smoking, it is vaping.
    All these things in combination may help, the airflow you can fine tune once you have the wattage dialed in, generally more airflow = bigger clouds.

iamTezr, Maria and Donna like this.
  8. Captain Obvious

Yeah, I definitely let them soak--more than 24 hours actually. Tried a few things, upping/lowering the wattage, changing air intake...I think I May have flooded it, have read a few articles online about this happening to the naut mini. In any case, I don't really like the drip tip and a few other features on the premium kits, I'm going to try my luck with something from innokin I think, or maybe I'll buy a V3 pen as there's really no way I cans screw the pooch assembling it. Until I get the draw sorted I won't really know what to do with regards to nicotine, but I've ordered higher and lower juices in unflavoured to cover both bases. I just have a strong feeling there's something wrong with my kits, or maybe the coils aren't legit....I dunno. Trial and error--I kind of expected it!

9. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Don't know what the % is but we've all had a dud coil from time to time. Maybe worth trying a new one.
    This might also explain why you are getting flooding, gurgles etc.

Also, I don't know why but I'm a mouth to lunger still (which I think is more like smoking) and if the vape is too airy I cough.

I also haven't been able to transition to the newer toppers from the evod single bottom coil, they all make me cough.

Jaz and Pippi like this.
  10. Captain Obvious

That's interesting Donna. Maybe it has something to do with the temperature of the vape? Bottom coil setups supposedly produce cooler vape.

Pippi and Donna like this.
  11. Captain Obvious

What's your go- to kit Donna?

Pippi likes this.
  12. Donna

Donna Senior Member

I use 30w eleaf isticks at about 12watts but have had as much success with ego 1600mah batteries. On the 20w isticks I used them at about 6-7 watts.

I use only evod bottom single coil toppers.

I vape 18mg/ml 80-90% pg. I think I'm a little intolerant to vg as it gives me a gluggy throat. This sounds high nic and high pg but I love the harsh throat hit. I DIY my eliquid and have settled on Juice Factory's coffee mocha super concentrate for the last 2 or more years.

Jaz, margyb, DogMan and 1 other person like this.
  13. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

It really took me a while tp find the right kit. One thing I will say is drawing slowly is better than sucking back hard.

DogMan likes this.
  14. DogMan

DogMan Butler

If you are going pen style, avoid variable ones.

Youtube reviewers see new stock to review every day. Chances are they only spent half an hour with the device.

There are some very compact mods that are far better than pens. COV mini volt, eleaf products are very small.

But if you insist on a pen. Just get the set voltage ones, vv in a pen never worked out.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk