1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

Review of KangerTech 0.5Ohm Ceramic Coil for TopBox Series

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Cloudy, May 28, 2016.

1. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Purchase and Specifications

Purchased on FasTech for $16.00 Aud a five pack delivered. I used in my Nebox with 60/40pg DIY juice for this review.

A little more expensive than the SSOCC but they are presumed to last a lot longer so they should be better value for money. These are not TC coils and are designed to operate within a wattage range of 35 to 60. They include kanthal wire sheathed in ceramic and an outer layer of organic cotton. The cotton is not exposed to the vaporising ceramic surface and only acts to wick the juice through to the ceramic part of the coil.

Pro

Clean flavour. I found notes that I had not found with other coils in this e-liquid and they were all good. The flavour is really quite remarkable when compared to Ni, SSOCC and even the RBA. The enhanced flavour effect seems to last and does not fade after the first few vaping sessions.

Nice cloud formation. With careful control of wattage large clouds can be formed that are tasty and satisfying.

They appear consistent in performance and do not show as much variation as I have encountered with some other coils.

Con

They seem to take a long time to settle in. I left the first one overnight before using it and it still took quite a while to get a good even draw. Once settled, however, they are predicable and consistent.

There are some manufacture errors with cotton wick forming inside the ceramic. This can cause burning if not removed. You need to look carefully for this as that burnt taste is very unpleasant however the coil can still be used after the excess material is removed.

They cannot be used at low wattage. If you try the coil will flood with excess juice and spit and pop excessively.

Used properly they do consume more juice than other coils. They also use more energy due to the wattage requirements so you have to monitor your battery charge carefully to avoid coming up short.

They can generate a bit of heat when chain vaping. The device you use will determine how much of an issue this is.

Conclusion

Overall a great coil for flavour and clouds. A bit fussy with settling in and you have to watch for manufacture faults. If they last as long as the manufacturer and other reviewers claim they represent very good value for money.

Probably not a beginners coil but the length of service and pure flavour make them suited to a vaper who is looking for a better experience.

margyb, Noe, Jennifer and 3 others like this.
  2. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

Thanks Cloudy , great review.:thumbup:
    Still have not tried mine.

3. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Cheers, I could not wait long enough for the old Ni200 to die and I went for the new.

Let me know how they go for you.

4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Added to the hardware review directory :)

5. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

UPDATE :thumbup:

I have been using a KangerTech 0.5Ohm /35-60 watt Ceramic Coil which is SSOCC compatible, for 28 days straight. I average about 6ml a day of 60vg/40pg @ 4%nic, with 8% flavours and I vape at around 46.5 watts. That's around 165mls of e-liquid.

This coil is still going strong, still good flavour and clouds. It really did take at least a day to settle in but 28 days is the longest I have had a coil last let alone one that produces such good flavour and clouds.

The real change over time has been how far you can push up the watts without getting a burning taste. In the first week or two mid to high fifties was comfortable but now I would be risking a bad taste experience above 50watts.

Apart form that, when used now, at 46.5 it is producing good flavour and great clouds. I think the flavour may not be as bright as it was but it is not yet a drastic change, it still tastes better than the Nickel and maybe as good as the RBA when it worked well.

It feels like it might have 8 more days in it but I will see.

So far seems to be very good value despite the slightly higher price tag. It also uses more battery and e-liquid than any other coil, of the 5 available to me, but I still enjoy vaping on it because of the good taste and the satisfying clouds.

On cloudy days I have trouble keeping up using 2 LGHBE4s and one LG choccy, I used up to 10mls on two occasions and even with three batteries I needed to charge for most of the day.

Anyway great coil, lasting very well.

Jerry Hatrick, Wanda and sirfoxey like this.
  6. Jerry Hatrick

Hey Cloudy , Have you tried to give one a dry burn ?
    If not when you do start to notice a huge difference in vape quality are you going to try a dry burn ?
    Just curious .

7. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Hey Jerry, I haven't and I wasn't thinking of doing it. I could only do it in my mod and it may just stink out the whole tank.

8. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

UPDATED UPDATE

At the end of day 29 I noticed an unpleasant burnt taste. I cleaned everything but the taste kept coming back during day 30 so I retired the coil. 29days of good service with a rapid decline.

9. Jerry Hatrick

Cloudy,
    That is when I would try a dry burn with it.
    Take the rest of the tank off take the coil out rinse it well under water then dry it and put on base and dry burn .
    Nothing to lose and it could just revive it .
    I dry burn the coil in the LSS L50 once a week , and it works for that. (ceramic coil)
    Just not sure with these coils.

Noe and Cloudy like this.
  10. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

I don't have a tank that can do that. I have an AIO device.

Jerry Hatrick likes this.
  11. Jerry Hatrick

ahhh ok. Well I will just have to start using one (next clean etc) and will give it a try .

Cloudy likes this.
  12. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I think you should still try a dry burn in it. The NEBOX can have the tank flushed with water from what I understand & that will get any of the ash / burnt smell out of it.
    What I would do is dry burn while blowing the smoke from the dry burn out from the airflow hole up through the DT & out, hold for 2 seconds then stop, then repeat 2 or 3 times.
    Then take the coil out rinse thoroughly under water, shake as much water out as possible, dry burn again for 2-3secs (it'll take a bit longer due to the excess water in the coil/wick), re-rinse & shake, then just fire the mod to heat the coil to remove excess water without trying to dry burn. That should have your coil as good as new.
    After that rinse out the whole tank section, being careful not to get water into the mod/electronic side.

If it's your only device, I would wait to try this, keep the old coils until you have a good back up device, then try to renew your coils with a dry burn :)

Cloudy likes this.
  13. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Yes I will wait to try it out, Thanks.

Got my heart set on a Protank 4 (cause I have coils that suit) and a good box.

14. Jerry Hatrick

I have finally put a ceramic coil in one of my sub tank minis. Reads as 0.59 ohm .
    I am going to let it sit for an hour before I even vape on it (let it soak up the juice real good)
    Will report back in a week or two and will give a good dry burn to see what happens with these !

Noe and Cloudy like this.
  15. Jerry Hatrick

Ok ,
    After about a fortnight of continued use ( with a dark juice ) today I washed the ceramic coil really good using warm water.
    I was able to see the coil bit change from dark brown back to white .
    Gave it a good shake and blow out ,then dried using paper towel.
    Gave it 7 or 8 - 1.5 to 3 second dry burns ,smelling the vapor that resulted from this. At no time was this unpleasant.
    Filled it up , let it rest .
    NO PROBLEMS ! AS NEW !

Noe, Cloudy and Donna like this.