RTA Mesh tanks (Profile, Kylin M)

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Noe, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

So just a quick comparison here, rather than a full on review.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I first bought the Profile RTA, as it was getting a lot of hype & I thought it could be a good improvement over my current tank at the time the OBS Engine 2.
    What I found was I enjoyed the vape I got from the Profile but it had side airflow rather than top airflow like I was used to.
    Along came the KylinM, a similar RTA mesh tank but with top airflow, so of course I had to buy this to try too.

Size:
    Both tanks hold around 5ml, with their respective tank options( all my testing was in this higher capacity setting for both). The Profile uses a bubble tank, which makes it a few mm wider in its 5ml configuration, while the Profile uses a chimney extension & taller glass piece to get its 5ml capacity. Both also come with a TPD compliant 2ml glass tank section, which I have not used at all.
    Putting both side by side in their 5ml versions, the Profile is approximately 10mm taller, this is with both using the same 510 drip tip, using their respective 810 to 510 drip tip adapters (as used in my testing).

Flavor:
    Flavor from both the KylinM & the Profile is very good, however after having used both for several weeks each, I think the Profile is very slightly ahead in this department. The very slight margin is, I think, testament to the efficiency of the mesh coils & both of these tanks have flavor in abundance.

Filling:
    Here, hands down, the KylinM has it over the Profile. While both have top caps that you unscrew to refil, the KylinM has a wide fill port that even a glass dripper can sit inside, while the Profile has narrow channels that often make refilling messy.

Airflow:
    Both tanks have ample airflow which is smooth, with no whistling. However the KylinM at fully open has a wider airflow, which may be useful to know for some vapers but for myself I has the Profile & the KylinM airflow reduced to my preferred draw.
    From my point of view, airflow is a draw, although if you like the widest draw possible then the KylinM is the winner here.

Airflow System:
    The Profile uses a side airflow system, drawing air from the bottom of the tank.
    The KylinM uses a top airflow system, drawing air in through slots cut into the top of the inner barrel.
    My all time preferred airflow system is top to bottom to top, where air is drawn in from the top, to the below the coil & back out again, as I feel this has all the advantages of bottom airflow & top airflow. However niether of these tanks uses that system.
    Here though the KylinM performs very well, although the Profile gains an advantage to flavor from the system it employs there is very little difference in flavor.
    Overall though the KylinM is the big winner here too (see leaks below).

Leaks:
    What makes a huge difference though is when it comes to leaking, because the KylinM has a top airflow system it does not leak or seep, at all, ever (as with all tanks this only applies when upright), while the Profile both leaks & seeps. This leaking is somewhat due to wicking, if you don't use enough wick in the Profile you might as well go pour your juice down the drain when refilling, it is that bad. If instead you add too much wick you will choke the juiceflow& get dry hits, dry hits on mesh are the worst you will ever experience, so finding the right balance is of utmost importance in the Profile when wicking. However even if you strike that balance, you will get leaks, especially when refilling, even with the airflow fully closed.
    I tried several different ways of wicking on both tanks but more so on the Profile & no matter which method I employed I would get leaks when refilling &/or spitback for the first dozen or so puffs.
    With the Kylin, no matter how I have wicked it, I have not had a leak nor any spitback after a refill ( I have had spitback when I didn't change the wick when I knew it needed it but that was my fault).
    So the winner here is again the KylinM (which is of course related to the airflow system above).

Ease of rebuild/wicking:
    The Profile is not overly hard to install a coil on, however it is temperamental about how it is wicked.
    The KylinM is even easier to install a coil on, due to it's springloaded jaws & is not anywhere near as fussy about how install a wick.
    The KylinM is the clear winner for ease of rebuild.

Overall:

Both tanks perform very well, the Profile was released before the KylinM & the KylinM has obviously borrowed features from the Profile design. The Profile does produce ever so slightly better flavor, though you are really only going to noticce that when you vape them side by side & you'll be back & forth between them wondering if there really is a difference.
    The KylinM, not only borrowed from the Profile design but also from other tank designs, bringing a lot of great features from other tanks to its own design, as well as having its own innovations.
    So if you have read everything above, then it will be no surprise, that in my opinion, the KylinM is the better mesh RTA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    RC. likes this.
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Just re-wicked the Kylin-M, took me about 30minutes all told.
    No this is not the first time I have re-wicked it but I have to say this RTA was almost a joyous experience compared to re-wicking the Profile RTA.
    Where on the Profile even when I had experience with re-wicking it it would take me a good hour or more of faffing about to ensure it wouldn't leak, on the Kylin-M it was a simple matter of build the wick the way I like it, thread through the coil, trim the ends, insert wick ends into their channels, trim any stray fibers, soak, test for hot spots on the coil, make any minor adjustment for the hot spots (I usually find the leading edges of mesh coils are going to do this when replacing wick*), put the tank together, fill & vape. On the Kylin-M this is very much like a lot of other dual or single wire coil RTAs, I'll explain the type of wick I use below but for the most part this is as easy to re-wick as it gets.

On the Profile, I would need to take several additional steps, cutting the wick ends on the correct angle, ensuring the wick was not too tight or too loose in their channels, giving the wick a "hair cut" at above those channels & ensuring the haircut was enough but not too much, then when I thought it was right I would have to test fill a small amount or risk flooding the deck & leaks, then if by some miracle I'd got it just right I could fill all the way but I wouldn't know that for at least 30 minutes while I watched the juice level & tested for leaks. Usually, I would get a very slight leak because I didn't ever want to get a dry hit on a mesh coil, so under-wicking is the side I leant to, this would mean opening the tank again & inserting short, thin, filler, wedges of wick, into the wicking channels, using tweezers. By experience I could judge just how thick these filler wedges likely needed to be, often I was correct but other times I used a little too much wick giving me dry-ish hits that seemed not as flavorful as they should be, at other times I didn't use quite enough filler & still had a slight leak - causing me to have to go through the process of adding filler again.
    Don't get me wrong here, the Profile is a good tank & if you enjoy a flavorful vape it is great for that (but so is the Kylin-M), it is just very finickey when it comes time to re-wick.

I'm not going to go through the various methods or wick types I tried using on the Profile, just know that I tried a lot of different ways to get it right & never quite succeeded in finding a method that was fool-proof, save that I would only part fill the first refill in case of leaks.
    For the Kylin-M, I have only had to use one re-wicking method, the one that made most sense to me when I got it.
    Using a standard Muji cotton square pad, I start by cutting it in half in the direction of the fibers, not across the fibers, I use one half & put the other aside for the next re-wick (on the Profile it would take a full pad for a re-wick, pads are cheap but this is another advantage of the Kylin-M). Then I carefully remove both outter layers on the half I am using, trim a sliver of wick from both ends to neaten them, measure a piece from one end about 5mm wider than the coil's width, trim that short piece to approx 75% of the main wick's width, sit this piece in the middle of the main wick (this will sit under the coil), roll the wick with the small piece inside, insert the wick with the seam facing down, pull the wick through seating the center of the wick under the coil (if you did it right this is the thickest part because of the small piece of wick inside). I then press lightly with tweezers either side of the coil to make sure the thickest part of the wick is centered on the coil, then trim the ends, insert into wick channels & done, aside from what I mentioned above.
    It really is that easy & it has worked every time.

* If the leading edges of the coil are hot spotting when testing, using tweezers I gently push the wick back up into the coil a little to have it making better contact to the coil, this alone usually is enough to prevent the hot spots on re-testing but if not I use the flat side of the tweezers the push down across the coil evenly & again gently (if you push too hard you will completly deform the coil & have to rebuild fresh). These leading edge hot spots are caused because the wick is angled downward from the coil when fitted into the wick channels, it also happens on regular wire coils in other RTAs but is less noticeable due to the nature of round wire coils.

RC. likes this.