1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap, crackle, pop, YUK! with eGrip II

Discussion in 'Ask the Veterans' started by Gabby, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Gabby

Gabby Member

This problem occurs after not using the eGrip for an hour or so, but I think also at other times. Otherwise it seems OK. I've got the BF SS316-0.5 coil in which came with the mod. I haven't made any adjustments that I know of, so the mod is straight out of the box.

It suddenly goes POP! and I get a bit of juice in my mouth - not nice at all. Horrible in fact.

Any idea why it does this or how I can fix it or avoid it?

2. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

When you get the liquid in the mouth I figure it is what is called 'spitback'. Other people have had the same problem. There are some suggestions here but if you don't find the solution then search for 'BF SS316-0.5 coil spitback' and hopefully you can find more info. http://social.joyetech.com/showthread.php?tid=2702

Gabby likes this.
  3. Gabby

Gabby Member

Thanks for the link, Judith. It appears that popping and spitting are a common problem for the eGrip II. I've now attached the MTL driptip which seems to have reduced the spitting, but not the popping. It still tastes a bit hot though. Starting to regret I bought it.

What makes this sort of problem worse is that the eGrip is highly configurable, and the 'manual' is useless in working out how to use or configure the thing for different coils and druthers. It's also tricky to configure which means a slip of the finger can result in a crappy config.

I simply want a reasonably stealthy, low cloud MTL.

Judith likes this.
  4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

It's not easy finding the perfect mod. There are others on the market but their names won't come to me right now. I am waiting for an iCare to arrive so I can test that.

Pippi likes this.
  5. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Hi Gabby, sometimes blowing quite hard into the drip tip clears gurgling and spitting.
    Also maybe try You Tube, there is bound to be something on your mod there. I dont have one - so I can't help with specific probs.
    Good luck!

6. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Spitback and flooded coil easy to fix.
    Hang on to your mod really hard.
    Stand over a sink.
    Flick and roll your wrist downwards with the mod in it, so that the mouthpiece ends up facing downwards. Flick and roll like an old fashioned thermometer, and surplus juice will flick out.
    Hang on to your mod though.
    Dryer coil.

7. Gabby

Gabby Member

Hi Posterboy, I've also tried using a cotton bud. This fixes it for the next few sucks, but it starts popping again when I come back to it in an hour or 3. Also I guess that after using the flick method you need to clean the driptip, right? (Or perhaps remove the DT first.)

Sounds like bad design to me, but hey, I'm a newbie. After all, if my egoone works fine all the time every time, why should this mod have problems. I'm starting to think the eGrip II was made for cloudmaker hobbyists and expecting it to do plain ordinary MTL is working outside its comfort zone.

Jaz and Posterboy like this.
  8. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

I don't have this device. But they use notch coils:

[​IMG]

The bad reviews of these far outweigh the good. Better to have a standard wound wire coil.

Popping and hissing can result from wicks being too loose.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

9. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Strange.
    I've been using the AIO coils a lot lately with no dramas but like Dogman suggests the notch coil variant seems to get a general thumbs down.
    Personally I've not tried those yet so can't comment on them.

However as above I've used the BF 0.50 DL,BF 0.60 MTL and BF 1.50 MTL and enjoyed them.
    I have experienced minor flooding/ gurgling when refilling but that disappears after a couple of uses.
    I've watched several reviews where the whole selection aren't held in high regard but I can only comment from personal experience.

I'm going to give the notch coil a go next but have avoided it thus far for that reason and battery life.

10. Gabby

Gabby Member

I haven't used the notch coil myself (as a MTLer) but I've also seen the bad press. Note that the problems I'm having are both the BF0.5 and Clayton 1.5, and others have also had problems with these. Note also that I use the mod relatively infrequently, so will run into popping/spitting more often than more regular users.

Workarounds are all very well, but they shouldn't be necessary, as seen by other gear which doesn't have these issues. AFAIK, the vaping is not worth the hassle if I can't find a more permanent fix.

11. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Come to think of it, (I have egrip 2 as well) it flooded quite a bit when using on board tank esp notch coil.
    I do rebuildables. Was going to use egrip for work, but pretty much never use onboard tank now. Used solely with other atties. Filling that tank when out and about was a PITA.
    Was going to rebuild AIO coils, but too fiddly.
    Not really an answer to your dilemma, but you might evolve into other vaping areas later on.

12. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

The Aprire Pockex may be what you are after:

Jaz and Gabby like this.
  13. Noe

Notch coils are designed such that they are best suited to cloud chasing with high wattage (over 40w), I have a sngle Notch coil working in my Limitless Plus clone, using its single coil plug on the opposite side & it is great at just under 40w. I don't consider myself a cloud chaser but I wanted to try the Notch coils out because they reduce ramp up times.
    However I find if I take it below about 37W the vape is anemic, between there & 40W the vape is quite good without getting too hot or having lots of spitback. In fact there is no spitback the way I have it set up & because the Limitless Plus has a large deck, any spitback is contained inside the atty & not coming up the chimney.

I really do not recommend notch coils for MTL vapers though, 0.02 ohm (or around there) is what most notch coils are, MTL vapers should be looking for coils that are 0.5 ohm or higher, I believe 0.8 ohm to 1.2 ohm is ideal for MTL vapers that want a warm vape with some volume to their clouds, higher than that in ohms makes for a cooler less voluminous vape IME.
    Notch coils are really more suited to vaping at higher wattage, perhaps with Temp Control (since they are made of SS), I am using mine at what I'd consider the very bottom of its range, it can obviously go much higher especially if TC is used with it.

Gasman likes this.
  14. Gabby

Gabby Member

Could be, Noe. It looks like a good size, and very simple. Although I notice that it offers "dense vapor production", which doesn't sound very stealthy to me (although I know b-all about anything at this stage).

Also I have an eleaf ijust on order, and need to check that out first. At this early stage I'm limiting myself to one purchase/month :p so it might be some time. Always good to get ideas though.

When I started, I thought the newer and more expensive the better, but I'm going thru a massive rethink about that.

15. Noe

Vapor production is closely tied to the type of juice you use, so if you use a high PG based juice (like 70/30 PG/VG) you'll have less clouds, more flavor in the same device as a high VG juice (30/70 PG/VG) which would produce more clouds but have slightly sweeter, less flavorful vapor.
    Also if you are using a device with proper MTL technique (if yo uare a MTL vaper then your technique is proper ;) ) you'll produce less vapor than a direct lung inhale (which can be used on most MTL devices).

I saw another video where they were using that same device, using proper MTL technique & getting the usual whispy vapes that other MTL devices produce but when they used a DTL inhale, the vapor was quite volumious.
    In the video I posted, when he takes a puff he is using DTL not MTL technique but that is the better video for informational purposes.

Gabby likes this.
  16. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Nothing produces much of a cloud if you take a puff and hold it in.
    I might even do that at work sometimes, perhaps

Gabby and Gasman like this.