1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Starter kits for beginners

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gabby, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Gabby

Gabby Member

I've found this site amazing. So many options, opinions, solutions and most of it makes good sense. Kind and helpful folks everywhere. Thanks all!

As a newbie I originally found the site really hard to get into, all this sub-ohming, PG/VG, mods and attys. Even Noe's beginner's guide was a bit mystifying at first, because it seemed to assume that the newbie would start with a modular system. What I needed at the time was a much simpler guide, basically a choice of simple starter kits (charger included), and suggestions on choosing and getting juices and coils. Unlike a lot of converting smokers, I haven't got any friends who are vaping, so the internet's my friend.

I was very lucky in going into a good vape shop first, and getting some great guidance. I ended up with an eGo One - very simple, virtually unconfigurable and with the sort of draw I expected as a smoker. It wasn't all plain sailing. For some reason I tried to inhale directly to my lungs (which is not the way I smoke). This was a rough start, but then I found a link here to a Youtube video which sorted me out with using MTL and the basic differences between vaping and smoking.

I've bought a couple of other kits since, one is too sub-ohm for me, but I think I'm always going to be a fairly simple vaper.

Gabby

Old Grump, margyb, Judith and 2 others like this.
  2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Simple or complicated doesn't really matter, it is just what does the job.

Old Grump, Pippi and margyb like this.
  3. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

There are still quite a few MTL people here. The mod I usually use is about a year old and nothing fancy but it does the job. I am sub-ohming with a coil of .97 ohms but it is just the way the coil turned out and I am happy with 1.5 ohm coils too. I will always be MTL because of damaged lungs from smoking but have an occasional direct lung hit when I am using the right atomiser. I am not fussed as long as I have no interest in smoking.

It will probably take you a while to sort out what you like but if the eGo One is good enough to stop you smoking then it is perfect. It sure is confusing for beginners though, I remember clearly and it was a lot less complicated then because there wasn't as much stuff around.

I'm glad you find the Cafe useful.

Pippi, margyb and RC. like this.
  4. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I hear you Gabby! It's so annoying that there are not more vape shops where people can get advice and see the products.

People who join forums are often enthusiasts so a lot of the forum chat is complicated and advanced. I find it completely overwhelming myself and I've been vaping for over 3 and a half years!

I still use beginner gear because I don't want all the fuss and bother.

But you are always welcome to start a thread and ask any question at all, no question is too stupid!

I struggled with the Ego One device because it kept burning and tasting foul. What device are you using now?

Old Grump, Maria, Pippi and 2 others like this.
  5. DogMan

DogMan Butler

The AIO kits get good wraps. I think it stands for All In One.

My 70 y\0 neighbour uses an evod pro. Which takes 18650 batteries. He likes the 1 ohm coils.

For batteries and chargers, samsung 30q, which are the pink ones, and a soshine charger. Both from supersports600 on ebay.

I'm just 1 opinion amongst many. Don't rush out to buy on advice of this post.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Judith, Pippi, margyb and 1 other person like this.
  6. Gabby

Gabby Member

I'm still fiddling. I find the eGoOne fine for me, but I don't use it enough yet to get a feel for the endurance or capacity limitations. I bought an eGrip II as a 'spare' and advanced learning tool. I found it rather mystifying and too complex for my current stage - the main problem was I just couldn't click and go. I had a couple of bad starts with it setting up and got a couple of sips of juice which put me off a bit. It's probably designed for subohmers too. It's probably fine, and in time I'll get to use it effectively.

I've ordered an iJust2 now as my simple spare.

Gabby

margyb and Jennifer like this.
  7. Maria

Maria Senior Member

I am the same simple is good for me as long as we are vaping. I bought more complicated kits and just wasted money.Went back to basics and have stayed their .:)

Pippi and margyb like this.
  8. subyXV

subyXV Member

Welcome Gabby and yes there is a case of info overload. However please know that once you know how to work your way around the forum, the easy things are.

You will see the regular posters and you will also see people who have a wealth of knowledge. Use this knowledge to assist you and best of luck.

Pippi and Judith like this.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Totally agree @Jennifer the problem with having a B&M vape shop is the rent and outgoings. You have to sell a hell of a lot of vapes to do so and another is how much cash you have to tie up in stock.
    New products seem to flood the market and to keep up with the demand for new goodies is damn hard on your investment capital.
    What I would like to see is on line vendors providing a contact phone number DURING BUSINESS HOURS if newbies or others get into strife then they can give them a call. Not many do that.

Maria likes this.
  10. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I have a lot of complicated devices & mostly I just set & forget, then just use them in wattage mode, adjusting wattage to suit the atty/juice combo I am using.
    There is a lot to be said for simple click & vape devices, with the right atty & ohms on your coil, you can tailor even these simple devices to your vaping needs.

The Joyetech AIO line of products are great for beginners, simple, cheap & effective, with all you need minus the juice in one device.
    2 X AIO 1500mah D19 batts, with a spare 5pack of coils, is my current recommendation for new vapers as a first kit.

Maria, iamTezr, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  11. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Personally I can't recommend tha AIO enough as I find it a great little device.
    Put a coil and juice in, set your desired air flow and that's it.

I recently bought the AIO box mod which is identical to use and identical in price.
    Yes it feels cheap and is plastic but it is cheap so I don't see a problem.
    An easy introductory device which I doubt will last forever but it's that cheap if anybody's still unsure or dual using $30 gets you another one.

It works and is even easier to carry around.
    Battery seems to last just as long.

For something that is fill and forget I honestly don't think you can go wrong.

A picture to show the size comparison.

[​IMG]

Noe, DogMan, iamTezr and 2 others like this.
  12. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

The best starter kit I have come across so far is the KangarTech Mini C. Out of all the mini vapes I have tried this one is truley a set and forget mini mod. Nothing I have done to it so far has caused the tank to leak. Previous KangaTech tanks and I have quite a few, all seemed prone to leakage. It is very reasonably priced...depends of course who you buy it from. Very interested what others think of this unit. YouTube reviews have been favourable.

Moving towards a tobacco free World!

13. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

I second the AOI stick i got one the other week just love it super simple and no leaking its grate to pop in my pocket as im heading out the door:thumbup:

Noe, Pippi and Old Grump like this.
  14. Noe

I hadn't heard much about the Kanger Mini C, so I looked it up & found the below youtube review.
    IMO, this is not as good as what the AIO is for a first vape kit, bear in mind I have never used it or tried it but I have used the AIO.
    There are a few things on that Kanger kit that I don't like about the kit, most of them are listed as cons in the video & the other is mentioned but he doesn't rate it as a con. The adjustable AFC & JFC working in unison, is IMO a definite con, when I adjust my AFC on my other tanks I am not adjusting my JFC at all, resticting the JFC at the same time as the AFC is not ideal, this could lead to burnt hits. If on most devices, your AFC is too tight for your wicking, it may start to gurgle but that is easily remedied by opening the AFC a little more, having them operating together is likely to cause issues.
    In the video he mentions the press fit tank as a con & this to me is one of the biggest cons of this kit.
    The mod itself, seems to work ok but the instructions say 5 clicks on/5 clicks off, in the video he clearly has to click 7 times on/off, this has to be a con & would confuse the hell out of a new vaper. If such a simple function is implemented incorrectly on the device or not described correctly in the instructions, then to me it indicates Kanger not taking due care with this product.

Pippi and Old Grump like this.
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Not had a problem with the one I have tried. AFC didn't bother me. Mine a definite 5 click on/of job. The best part I like is it dont leak. Menue simple as. Even some of the dubbo's my way don't need exhaustive lessons.

Moving towards a tobacco free World!

16. Noe

Well that just tells me that some units have had poor implementation of the functions, so poor quality control by Kanger.
    Aside from that, if it worked flawlessly, it is probably a decent kit, though the 2 other cons I mentioned above are likely to cause problems, no one wants a pocket full of juice & with the press fit tank, it is obvious to me that that could be what you get. Especially for someone like me who lifts their device by the tank, all it would take is for it to get a little bit caught on the top of you pocket & the tank would lift off, having juice everywhere.
    The ACF/JFC combo is the other obvious con IMO for the reasons I mentioned above.
    For ease of use the AIO is much better, it is a simple fill & vape affair.
    The Kanger may be ok as an intermediate device but for a completely new vaper the AIO is pretty much foolproof , however I believe there are better intermediate devices available too, so I think Kanger has missed the mark with this kit.

Old Grump and Pippi like this.
  17. The Flavour Republic

The Flavour Republic Senior Member VCA Approved Vendor

The aspire Pockex is slightly better build than the AIO imo
    Uses the nautilus X coils

Old Grump and margyb like this.
  18. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Recently, I tested some basic devices with a number of smokers, most having only tried cigalikes and e Go's. 11 preferred the Endura T 18, whilst 8 liked the eGo AIO. The rest preferred Mods such as the Cool Fire 4 plus and the iStick Pico; both with the Nautilus X. One guy loved my original Silver Bullet but disliked the size.

IMO, the Endura is slightly smoother with a draw that best suits smokers. The negative being battery life. I'm actually quite impressed with the Prism tanks, they certainly fit the bill for tootle puffers and a steal for $15.

The coils in my AIO's tend to crackle and pop a lot and this is a negative for some. Think I'm using the BF 0.6 oHm stock coils. Personally, I think the AIO's are terrific and make a great Date Vape for when we're out and about.

Old Grump, Judith, margyb and 2 others like this.
  19. Noe

Just had a look at a couple of reviews of that one, I think it may be better than the Joye AIO, no adjustable AFC like the Joye version but it has U flow airflow, which I think is better than the Joye implementation where the air hits to top of the coil only.
    With U flow, the air comes down from the top through the coil, to the bottom & back up to the top, which should produce better flavor & have coils lasting longer as the bottom won't be getting no airflow thus possibly burning the cotton.
    Cost is about the same too, so I'd be happy to recommend either the Joye AIO or the Aspire Pockex.

If you have kids then the Joye AIO may be better due to its child proof top cap:

20. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Or Clones....It does not surprise me how quick they are to clone stuff.

Maria likes this.