Subi Vapor Cigalikes

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Noe, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

A while ago, Subi Vapor's owner Beau Pracilio, joined the forum here, a midst a cloud of controversy.
    More specifically, he claimed his products had been 6 years in development & were "best in class".
    This peaked my curiosity, never one to not give a new product a chance to impress, I posted a challenge & PM'd Beau for some samples to review.
    Beau agreed & sent me the samples free for this review.

I received 2x disposable kits & 1x rechargeable kit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Disposable kits consist of 1x disposable cartomiser & 1x disposable cigalike battery.
    The Rechargeable kits consist of 1x rechargeable cigalike battery, 3x disposable cartomisers & 1x USB charger.

Both the rechargeable & disposable batteries look very similar, the only visible difference appears to be the word "vapor" which is in the same large lettering as "Subi" on the rechargeable stick, while being much smaller on the disposable stick.

[​IMG]

I would have liked to have seen more differentiation between the 2 sticks, trying to recharge a disposable battery can be very dangerous & both batteries will screw onto the charger easily.
    I did test to see if the disposable would try to charge & it appeared to do so for the split second I had it on the charger. Since I do not want battery acid & bits of shrapnel potentially spraying out from the charger I was quick to remove it.
    I would like to see protection built into the charger to recognise that the wrong battery is attached & for it to fail to attempt to charge the disposable battery.

Both versions of the batteries are auto puffers, meaning they fire when you puff on them, there is no button to press & hold, when you puff the end glows green to let you know the battery is firing.
    The end also glows green on the rechargeable stick, while recharging, the LED on the charger itself is the indicator for when the battery is charged, red = charging, green = charged.

[​IMG]

The cartomisers in both kits have the same threading, which is not 510 threading, I am unsure if it is proprietary or 808 threading, since I have no 808 threaded devices to check this against.
    Either way, it would have been nice to be able to use more popular 510 threaded, refillable cartos, like the Boges I have stored away, to get a better idea of how the cartos perform in of themselves.

[​IMG]

The carto length is somewhere between a regular & XL Boge carto length.
    The cartos are designed with a "hard cap", much like the old hard cap Boges & like the hard cap Boges the cap can be forcibly removed for refilling, this is not as easy as it is with the soft caps but it can be done.
    Using a jewelers screwdriver, inserted into the air hole on the hard cap, you need to lever the cap off, the cap will crack & complain a little but it will come out without too much pressure.

[​IMG]

Once the cap is out, you can use your own 510 driptip in the end of the carto, in place of the cap.

Subi vapor in use:
    Using the rechargeable battery & supplied 18mg/ml carto, which I am told these are not available at retail outlets with nicotine, I was chain vaping constantly for 45minutes, until the battery needed recharging & I was still in need of a decent vape.
    I normally vape at 24mg/ml & on devices that output much better vapor, greater in volume than I got from this cigalike.
    After recharging, I returned to the carto to see how much longer it would last, less than 15minutes later there was no flavor at all coming through & before it started to burn the filler material I stopped & refilled it with some 45mg/ml eliquid, just to see if this would be more satisfying.
    It kind of worked, I no longer needed to chain vape as much but the vapor output was low, as I would have expected, wich overall didn't satisfy as good as my 24mg/ml juice on a better device with a comparable atty.
    I tried to read the ohms on a carto but the battery on my multimeter was/is dead but compared to a LR Boge, the vapor production was lacking, it was more like the vape i would expect from a 2.5ohm carto.

To be fair, I never really expected the vape from this device to satisfy me but I did give it every chance to prove me wrong.
    Similarly, I doubt many members on this forum, if any, would get a completely satisfying vape from this or most other cigalikes.
    So I gave one to my wife, who is a smoker to try for a day, since this product is obviously aimed at smokers wanting an alternative, rather than at vapers.
    She quite enjoyed it for a while but said that it made her feel sick after a while. Her feeling sick probably had little to do with the product itself & more to do with the lack of burning tobacco she was taking in.

Overall:
    I can see where this product may interest smokers.
    However I feel that given 6 years of development was put into the product, better safety measures should have been employed in the charger.
    The difference between the rechargeable & disposable batteries is not enough IMO, it would be easy for someone who knows nothing about the dangers of recharging a disposable battery to try to recharge it & end up with serious injuries, fire or other problems.

Vapers are highly unlikely to enjoy using this product & given the retail cost would be better served using their Isticks etc.

As cigalikes go, these are not the most expensive on the market, far from it but they are designed to have disposable, single use cartos, which is how many people who don't know any better will treat them.
    This is unfortunate because the cartos are capable of being refilled & used many times, this would cut down cost to the consumer & make them more environmentally friendly.

Old Grump, Broony, Maggie and 10 others like this.
  2. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Good review Noe. It sounds like this is a good cigalike, but maybe not outstanding in the cigalike range. It might be a good entry product for a smoker, even better if it was higher nic strength. At a higher nic strength it may even satisfy some smokers who will be happy to stick with that product.

My concern with disposable cigalikes is the environmental impact of throwing away two or more cartos every day. Imagine if there were as many cartos as there are cigarette buts around. It would be a disaster! Refillable ones would be better in that regard, but still not great.

I thought the labelling on the product was very good. It would be good to see this kind of labelling on all vaper products ultimately.

Broony, Pippi, Noe and 1 other person like this.
  3. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I am more concerned with disposable batteries in these types of products than cartos. Very good and balanced review thanks Noe.

Jennifer, Pippi and Noe like this.
  4. margyb

margyb Senior Member

Thanks Noe great review
    I was waiting for this one :)

Broony, Pippi and Noe like this.
  5. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

Well done Noe. Im sure its hard to review a product that you know is not your idea of a good vape. Im sure this review WILL help those having a sneak peek at vaping and want to know more. Knowledge is power. I find your reviews well thought out and have a common sense approach. I like your style. Thanks Noe.

Broony, Pippi and Noe like this.
  6. Maggie

Maggie Senior Member

The battery charging would be a troublesome issue for me .. while I do read instruction leaflets, it seems as tho' an accident could easily happen ... we've only recently read about a bloke misusing his device and risking serious damage to his face ... only need a few more incidents to fuel the ire of the anti- vaping est.
    As always, a good revue Noe, I certainly wouldn't consider buying it now ... but if I were a potential noob, I'd probably be taken in by the 'hype' from the seller

7. Noe

I did like the amount of information & labeling placed on the retail boxes however I would have liked to have seen a warning on the disposable package saying : DO NOT attempt to recharge
    Hopefully Beau will read this review & apply this warning to future retail boxes.

I try to give a fair & honest review of any product I review, regardless of my feelings for the company that manufactures them, the company that supplied them or anything else.
    I try to review the product on its own merits, in the case of this one it was a little more difficult, since I use similar but much better products (for me) regularly, so I am glad the review came across as balanced :)

The charging issue, is my single greatest concern with this product, which is why I bolded & highlighted it in my review. I would have thought that with all the development that went into these products that safety would not have been overlooked.

DaveJ, Judith, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  8. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Ahhh - I was waiting on this one.

Thank you @Noe .

Very informative and interesting.

A question, if I may, please.

The vapor output from this device. How would it compare to, say, an original Evod on an ego battery running 1.8 ohm coils? More, equal or less? Approximate estimation is all I'm asking - just to gauge and fix it in my own mind just how "strong" the output is.

Noe likes this.
  9. Noe

Much less, perhaps half or lower in fog production.
    There is more of a mist than a fog that is produced, even my original Riva batts (eGo-like) with a Boge LR carto, no tank, from 4.5 years ago produced substantially better fog.
    I really would have liked to be able to test a LR Boge on these batteries, to see if improvement in fog production was possible but the non-510 threading made that impossible without an adapter which I don't have.

Old Grump and DaveJ like this.
  10. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Ahh, thank you Noe.

So, in my mind then, for me, using the same juice as I used in my evods (@ 18 mg/ml) I'd get less "satisfaction" from the cigalike than I did out of my Evods. Meaning, in reality, if I had been relying on them rather than my evods, then I likely wouldn't have "made it".

Old Grump likes this.
  11. Noe

That would have depended on how determined you were to make it "work".
    When I began vaping, cigalikes were the main product being used, eGos & the like were the new "big" battery mods & provided better power with longer run times. Certainly I am glad I never went through the cigalike stage, I did some research before jumping in & bought the Riva kit, which had 1100mah batts (quite rare at the time), which I found would last me all day.
    There was few options in atomisers too, Boge cartos were the best choice other than disposable 510 dripping atties, which held 3-5 drops of juice at most, Boges held 30 drops of juice (aprox) & the convenience factor of them made sense to me.
    The first few weeks were a bit of a struggle, just like they are for newbies even now but I used the same kit for around a year before upgrading.

emu likes this.
  12. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Yes. I hear ya.

But, I guess you could say if I was determined enough, I might have been able to quite smoking cold turkey too. But I'm not that good.

It took me some determination to "make it" using firstly 24 then 18 mg/ml in the evods. So, by that measure, I really doubt I'd have made it using those cigalike devices. Others may have - especially "light" smokers. But for me, na, I really doubt it.

Anyway - thanks muchly for your review. It was one I was most interested in seeing.

emu and Noe like this.
  13. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Tinkerbell

Good review Noe, I'm a little disappointed that this cigalike didn't produce more vapour. How many mah were the batteries?

14. Noe

That is something not written anywhere on the packaging.
    On the disposables that is kind of expected, as long as it last long enough to vape the carto dry in the package, that is all that it needs to do & they seem to last long enough to do that.
    On the rechargeable it would be nice to know but again it is not written anywhere on the packaging, additionally it is not written on the instructions leaflet included either. I could, if I wanted to do something rather unsafe, determine the mah by jerry rigging up the battery to my Li-Ion charger, which has a mah read out. However I am not going to do that, it is not worth risking injury or a fire just to find out the mah a battery may hold, especially one I am highly unlikely to ever use outside of testing.
    Sorry but I'm not even able to give a guesstimate on mah of these batteries, I will say that with constant chain puffing, I got less than 1hr's use from the rechargeable batt & that is after fully charging it.

emu likes this.
  15. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

To be fair, most cigalike users won't have any interest in what the mahs of the battery are. I know I wouldn't have before I joined a vaping forum.

Most of those cigalike batteries are 180mah I think. The longer ones are 280mah from memory.

Maria and emu like this.
  16. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

I've been trying to find reference to the actual number in "that thread". Best I could was here, where 380 mAh was mentioned.

Which puts it up with the very best of the cigalikes for battery life. But, of course, that doesn't say much when compared to what most of the people in this forum are use to.

emu likes this.
  17. emu

emu Banned

These were my first vape, 650mAH battery and refillable tank.
    They weren't good enough for me to quit.
    Are these what you call Cigalikes...?
    [​IMG]

18. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

No. That is a basic Second Generation e-cig. It has a fire button. Removable tank - that appears to be refillable. And about 3 times the battery life of most cig-a-likes.

Cigalike really look like smokes:
    [​IMG]

emu likes this.
  19. emu

emu Banned

Thanks Dave

20. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

This might explain the general "Three Generation" thing a little more: (thumbnail - click to see bigger image)
    [​IMG]

Note that is even a little old. The third generation still shows something a little oldish (Vamo-ish) and might now include box mods and similar.

Many now suggest the new Temp Controlled gear forms the Fourth Generation of e-cigs.

Maria, Judith and emu like this.