Sweeteners

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by Charles Vaper, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Sucralose, EM or Erythritol.

We're probably all aware of Sucralose. One of the most, if not the most common form of sweetener, or synthetic additive if you will. The downside as many know is that it gunks up coils pretty quickly and IMO is just overly sweet; many of the juices I used to buy in the states were loaded with it! Although EM or Ethyl Maltol is a viable alternative in certain mixes, I was surprised to learn from a Chemist friend that an alternative is available and it's called Erythritol. It's basically a sugar alcohol..oh sounds yummy already!

I did some research and found it on the Nude Nicotine website here.

I must say it appears to be a great alternative even though different sweeteners are useful depending on what your aiming for. Has anyone had any first hand experience with it?

Pippi likes this.
  2. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I use EM or Marshmallow exclusively as a sweetener now, and never over 1%. Personally I find that most juices are sweet enough without additives.
    I never use Sucralose. Horrible, horrible stuff.

I have been talking with some other DIY'ers who have been using liquid Stevia with great results. At around 0.5% it is meant to impart a great deal of sweetness, but I am yet to try it.

Charles Vaper and Noe like this.
  3. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

IF i need a sweetener, I use EM but it is rare that I can not find a flavor to impart the sweetness I need & compliment the flavor profile.
    My main challenge when creating flavors is in trying to cut down on the sweetness from PG & VG.
    I find a lot of juices from the US are overly sweetened & to me this speaks of a sloppy & lazy mixologist, that doesn't put much effort into their flavor creations.

Charles Vaper and rupert like this.
  4. Charles Vaper

Yes, I agree re the Sucralose. I may just try the Stevia although I'm very interested in Erythritol. I too use Marshmallow and EM.

rupert likes this.
  5. Noe

https://draxe.com/erythritol/

Not something I think I want to be vaping.

6. Charles Vaper

Yes, EM tends to be more of an individual enhancer whereby Sucralose just sweetens everything! I agree about your comments on US juices and particularly your comment on sloppy and lazy mixologists; in fact I just got off the phone with @The Vaper and said exactly the same thing.

It's rather simple to make a sweet e juice, even for a beginner, but making a more complex layered and balanced juice with little to no sweetener is harder and far more satisfying. It also took me a year perhaps to realise that less (flavour %) is actually more.

The Vaper and Noe like this.
  7. Noe

Be careful what kind of Stevia you get.
    Same source https://draxe.com/erythritol/

Charles Vaper likes this.
  8. Charles Vaper

Oh..Thanks for that, I'll look into it. Good find!

Noe likes this.
  9. Noe

I never take the easy way out when making my flavors, sweetening or other "raw" enhancers should always be a last resort IMO.
    I can often take a sniff of a new concentrate & will know exactly how it will perform when blended with other flavors but that takes a lot of experience, before I started vaping & making juice, I already had some experience in scent making, having made essential oil blends for oil burners & home made colognes.
    While I no longer work with those, the experience I got from making them lent itself to juice mixing very well, in fact making perfumes is harder in some ways, it's very easy to "over flavor" a perfume & get a scent that is far too heady. So when it come to using concentrates for juice, I already knew that balance was the key, rather than heavy handedness.

I'm a bit excited to be making a new line of juices, because I haven't really been making new flavors for a while & I miss discovering new concentrates that I sniff & think " wow I know exactly what I want to do with this", then building the resulting flavor around that one concentrate. I usually do not start out by thinking "I want to make xxxxxxx tasting juice", I usually start out by being inspired by a new flavor concentrate or even sometimes an old one & wondering how I could use it to create something outstanding.

10. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Charles Vaper and Noe like this.
  11. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

Ive, not used it but it dose sound good, sounds like it would be handy in fruit mixes in place of other sweetens if needed

Im not to keen on overly sweet candy vapes, but i do like to add just a couple of drops of EM to my fruit vapes just to brighten them up, per say

and if its a bakery vape then i will use a bit of sweet cream other than that i havent really had the need to use any otheres as i find alot of flavors are quite sweet to start with and dont really need any more added

rupert likes this.
  12. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I made the mistake of buying Brown Sugar Signature range which I believe is from TFA.
    I also made the mistake of trying it as a standalone as I do with all my concentrates to try and get an idea of its taste.
    I mixed it at 8% and can honestly state that it was one of the most revolting tastes I've managed to stuff up so far.

But surprisingly I noticed that a small amount added to other concoctions didn't taste to bad and in fact did lift the mixes a bit.

Moral to the story NEVER mix it as a standalone again and once it's finished NEVER buy it again.

Noe and rupert like this.
  13. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

It can be a good flavour :) I never use it over 1% though......... :D

Gasman likes this.
  14. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Now he tells me!

Thanks Rupert as that's about all I'd be adding in the future.
    As a side note I still haven't mixed Wasabi up yet.
    I know I promised you I would and on my next mixing session I will.
    I'm currently ploughing through all the small amounts I have overflowing and getting me in trouble with management.
    Those juices I bought in America have taken up the complete top shelf in my bar fridge which caused the domino effect and the resulting ear bashing.

15. Charles Vaper

Just an update on sweeteners.
    I don't use any of the traditional forms such as TFA sweetener or Capella's Super Sweet, although from time to time I use EM. (btw, I never bothered with Stevia or Erythritol). Below is some fairly common flavour concentrates that I've successfully used as alternate sweeteners.

TFA & FA Marshmallow
    Juice Factory Pineapple
    FA Fuji
    FA Marzipan (Contains the highest amount of sweetness in FA's line, great with certain tobaccos)
    FA Oba Oba
    FA Zeppola
    FA wOw
    Molinberry American Bubble Gum (a recent discovery but excellent for certain applications)
    Various vanillas, creams and fruits.

margyb likes this.