Sydney based vapers to join advocacy meet

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by Charles Vaper, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Hello all,

On March 7th there will be a discussion in Sydney with various advocacy organisations, both domestic and overseas, and a few MP's will also be present. Much of the focus is on the current regulations that surround nicotine use and importation. As well as regulations on vaping supplies.

This is an opportunity to briefly discuss your experiences with vaping in general, and can be done casually and or with a possibility of speaking to the group. I shall be addressing the attendees, along with Dr Colin Mendelsohn and other advocates. I think one can just observe too.

The aim here is for all involved, including MP's, to get some feedback from Australian vapers. Obviously, the important role vaping has helped you quit smoking is the message. Again, this does not need to be in a formal fashion, one does not need to be a public speaker.

Please, if you have any thoughts or wish more information let me know. I understand that many are happy with the status quo, and hold the belief of not wishing to "poke the bear". However, given that far more aggressive regulation throughout Australia is possible, the need to hear from the consumer is vitally important.

Thanks
    Charles

margyb and Rayjay like this.
  2. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Thanks Charles, as much as I would love to be there, the cost of a return flight does not justify this.

Also, from what I have been reading, if legalisation /regulation is successful then there will be a monopoly by big business be it big Pharma, big tobacco or wealthy doctors who have either quit the AMA as we have seen; and small vape B&m shops will only be able to sell juice made by those companies and also mods and other products thus approved and regulated. Small B&m businesses will either close or sell the planned approved pod rubbish

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

3. Charles Vaper

Rayjay,

Greetings from up north. Thanks for your comments and although this belief is fairly widespread, I don't feel this is something to be concerned about.
    We all have a choice of what or where to buy, and that possibility will always be there. One possible scenario is that the TGA may approve certain hardware products from BT, but in order to do so, they would have to lift the ban on nicotine; moreover, amend the current scheduling.

From a legal standpoint, any attempts by BT, BP or Government to limit consumer choice would not hold up long-term. In any given scenario, the ability to import will always be there, irrespective of whether a device and or e-juice is approved. So, even if BT or BP gain more of a grasp on the industry, there will always be choices. We would simply do what we do now, at least in terms of nicotine.

The major vape manufacturers aren't going anywhere, and even if some get gobbled up by BP or even BT, I'm fairly confident that the brands will remain. I have spoken with directors of three major Chinese manufacturers and quite frankly, they are adamant of remaining independent.

Notwithstanding all of this, the fact of the matter is that currently, far too many disadvantaged and everyday smokers, are faced with the tedious and complex issue of importing nicotine and having to DIY. We want liquid nicotine to be legal domestically, and even if this opens the door for BT to flood the market with their products, the consumer will still have choices.

Noe, margyb and Rayjay like this.
  4. emu

emu Senior Member

Money Power Fame are the drivers of the modern world, name in the Sky takes a back seat, with morals. What a terrible world we have created, is it really worth saving? Do you really want to be lead by those who have wrangled themselves into positions of power? Are they not the very ones who have lead us on a path of destruction? The elite rule the world with the scepter of greed, we have become dogs fighting for crumbs under the table.
    Money is everything and is from man, we know it is the root of all evil and yet it is held in such high esteem. Go ahead, align yourself with the rich and powerful, you won't add one extra day to your life but perhaps you'll be happy for a while.
    Sound your trumpet, rally the troops..! Get into bed with those you oppose, it's the only way but you will be disappointed in the end. Just as dry grass sinks down in the flames their fire will consume you, they will devour you like a swarm of locusts.

laurie9300 and Rayjay like this.
  5. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Spot on oh wise @emu all those that invested their life savings into B & M shops will be driven to the wall by big wealthy investors. No way will I support Athra and their bed mates. As to the NNA AU once bitten twice shy.

Done my bit for advocacy just to have myself and the wife insulted.

emu likes this.
  6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Thank you reverend @emu, a fine sermon!

How about, how do we help our fellow man?
    As @Charles Vaper rightly pointed out, the NNA-AU's goal is to see nicotine for vaping legalised in this country, something that would help far more smokers (smokers are being bled dry by the Govt in sin taxes & paying for the privelige of paying those taxes with their health) than the status quo.
    If the Govt. chooses to get in bed with Big Tobacco again, then 1. at the very least, current vapers will not have to worry about vaping in public & possibly being arested for vaping with nicotine and 2. smokers will finally have a real choice to smoke or vape, without needing to import from overseas or the need of the internet to purchase an alternative that may add years to their lives.
    Many smokers in marginalised situations do not have access to the internet & thus do not have access to ejuice with nicotine, nor B & M vape stores, these people need laws to change. Whether that comes in the form of vaping industry independantproducts being allowed to be sold with nicotine or in the form of BT vaping products being sold, these people will then have the option to choose.

My hope is the Govt. doesn't just hand over vaping to BT, however if it does, smokers will have a completely legal way to obtain vaping products with nicotine in the liquids.
    Of course I do not want BT being handed a monopoly but for current smokers, that would be better than what we currently have.

The Vaper and margyb like this.
  7. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Some how do not see @Noe junping on a plane and heading to Sydney for this one. As to handing vaping to BT as vaping has now been declared as smoking in most if not all Australian states, natural progression, BT will be handed vaping no need for biblical quotes to see the writing on the wall.

If it is not handed to BT who by the way do not have a single manufacturing facility left in Australia, and do bugger all for the Australian economy and Australian employment, then it will be handed to wealthy investors like those that are sponsors of Athra.

The NNA Au is just a voice crying in the wilderness no legislative body or regulatory authority takes them seriously. Meeting in Sydney with vote scraping politicians, oh yeah I forgot elections this year, more fool you if you beleive their promises.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

8. emu

emu Senior Member

Teach your kids right from wrong, make sure they learn very young and the lessons will stick for life. Self respect which will also become respect for others as they grow, the gov is doing a great job deterring kids from smoking these days and it's working. No tobacco adds with high profile celebrities puffing on the big screen anymore like in our days is very helpful, all the high impact anti smoking adds are having the desired effect.
    Plain label cig packs de glamourise the attraction to brightly coloured packs as we were subject to but the biggest thing is teach your kids young about bad choices, teach them a few basic morals which a lot of kids lack these days and you give them the best chance at a decent life, no need for religion.
    Anyone in Australia can buy nic liquid, everybody knows someone who is internet savvy they just need to want to quit smoking, ecigs are as well known as cigs now and I'm sure every smoker has heard of vaping and IF they want to try it they will.
    I agree that dying a horrible death can and should be avoided, death itself is natural and controls population and should not be feared. 100% of people die but it's our choice if we risk a slow and painful one. It comes back to what lessons are taught and learned at a young age, there's a billion ways to die but just a few ways to live a good life.

Rayjay likes this.
  9. Charles Vaper

Thank you Noe for your viewpoints, obviously, I agree with all you say. You have a good head on your shoulders..
    Rayjay, the fact is that over the past few months, more and more MP's HAVE taken notice of our efforts, and we are actually working closely with some of them presently; particularly those from labour. I'm sorry you feel this way, but irrespective of whatever success we may have, at least we're doing something.

10. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

We were doing something too, and were told to F.... k off by your former committee now we are not interested in supporting any lobby group especially those associated with big business. As to Labor, I wrote about my personal face to face discussion about vapes with Bill Shorten at last year's bi-electon (Super Saturday) His attitude to vapes although very slightly easier remains the same as the present Government's.

11. Charles Vaper

Update on March 7 Sydney Presentation

This event comes under the umbrella of the GSTHR - Global State of Tobacco Harm Reduction.
    The event will be held in the Jubilee room in Parliament House March 7.

An official invitation for consumer vapers will be forthcoming, but the invitees include representatives from -

Media - Journalists
    State and Federal MP's
    Tobacco harm reduction advocates, both domestic and international
    Doctors and Medical Organisations
    Academics
    Vapers - Consumers

This kicks off in Melbourne on March 5th and the whole event comes under the umbrella of the GSTHR .
    You will not be presenting but there will indeed be opportunities to express your views or concerns about our regulations on nicotine and vaping.

Considering the media presence, it's imperative to have consumer representation, which is you. I would love to see at least 4 or 5 members attend.
    I'll let you know once I have the final invitations in hand.

The Vaper and margyb like this.
  12. James P

James P Senior Member

Hi Charles. I've been to one of these meetings before and while it was fine, for the individual it can be a bit daunting turning up alone in such a formal atmosphere. It would be good if it were arranged for the vapers to meet outside an hour before and then go in together, and perhaps have something prepared to represent their side of the debate. After all, most vapers are well versed already in everything which is being said at these events, so it's not an info session for vapers.

Noe and Rayjay like this.