The Aspire Nautilus X

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by laurie9300, Jun 5, 2016.

1. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

I was lucky enough to win this new Aspire tank in an online competition held by heavengifts.com. It was shipped on 27/5 via DHL, and I received it on 30/5. Heavengifts did ask if I would review this product. This review is my honest opinion, and has not been influenced by receiving the tank for free.

I have used the original Aspire Nautilus Mini tank with BVC coils for a couple of years now, and I am a big fan. No other tank has stood the test of time like the Nautilus, and I still recommend them to new vapers, so I was excited to try the new Nautilus X.

This thing looks every bit as good as my Goblin Mini on my MiniVolt! Awesome!

[​IMG]

The Nautilus X comes beautifully package in this curved plastic case.

[​IMG]

It comes with one 1.5 ohm U-Tech Coil installed, and one spare in the box. There is also a spare Pyrex tank. It did also have a little "Warning Card" advising me to allow the tank to stand for a while after filling to avoid burning the cotton, however there were no other "Usage Instructions" included.

[​IMG]

The Nautilus X is a great looking tank, with a nice small form factor that I find very appealing. I received the silver version, but it is also available in black and gold, plus a limited edition "rainbow version. It is 22mm in diameter, so we'll look great on most mods, and 45mm tall, including the 510 and drip tip. It holds 2ml of e-liquid and is consequently TPD compliant.

[​IMG]

There are also some optional accessories available, including a frosted tank section, and a larger Pyrex tank and chimney extension, that brings the Nautilus X up to 4ml capacity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The drip tip is Delrin, but fits around the chimney section on the top cap. This means that this tank is not compatible with standard 510 drip tips, and you are stuck with the one supplied. On the plus side, it is around the same outside diameter as a cigarette, which is an attractive feature for a new vaper.

[​IMG]

It has held true to it's original purpose as a true mouth-to-lung tank, with its air flow originating from the top of the tank. Adjustment is achieved by rotating the very top ring of the tank which is rather narrow, but not hard to do. When closed down, you can get a nice, tight, mouth-to-lung draw, when opened right up, you get a very restricted, direct-to-lung draw. This is something that could not be achieved on the Nautilus Mini, so the Nautilus X has more air than the old Mini.

[​IMG]

The top cap comes right off, which makes filling this tank a joy. An easy fill, even with the stubby tipped bottles. after filling I have not experienced any flooding or gurgling.

[​IMG]

The new U-Tech Coils are 1.5 ohm, and rated from 14 - 22 Watts. The coil head spans the complete depth of the tank, so there is no "chimney" section at all. The air path is a little different from any other coil heads I have seen. The air travels down from the inlet, through one coil, does a u-turn, then travels back up, through the second coil, to the drip tip. For this reason, the outlet from the coil is offset from the centre. This feature is also why this tank is advertised as a "leak proof" design. So far I have not had a single leak.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have been using the Nautilus X with 40PG/60VG e-liquid, and these coils have had no problems with wicking. This is due to the two, massive wick holes in the coil heads.

[​IMG]

I am definitely getting great flavour from this tank, every bit as good as the old Nautilus Mini with the BVC coils. Vapour production, in my opinion, is a little better.

Overall, I have been really enjoying this tank, and would definitely recommend it to a new vaper, or someone looking for a good mouth-to-lung experience. I don't think I would go out and buy this tank, as I prefer my 22mm tanks to be rebuildable. However, if Aspire decide to release a "Mini" in 18mm diameter, more suitable for my CLK "eGo" style mods, I would definitely consider replacing my two originals.

Pros:
    Looks great.
    Small form factor.
    1.5 ohm coils make for great battery life.
    Pyrex tank.
    Easy top fill.
    Good flavour.
    Great vapour production.

Cons:
    Only 2ml capacity.
    Non standard drip tip.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    sammstein24, margyb, Maria and 8 others like this.
  2. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Do how did I do guys? My first real review!

Maria, Steve Thomas and Pippi like this.
  3. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Excellent review, Thank You.

Comprehensive and not too fluffy. There is some tricky tech stuff that you have explained well.

Do you have a head for video? or is it just a cloud? Maybe we could make some video reviews for the Café?

Pippi and laurie9300 like this.
  4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Gold star for laurie for his review. I did actually look at reviews of this tank recently to decide if I wanted to buy one but became confused. This review has clarified a couple of points for me. I prefer RBAs too but do occasionally use a Nautilus mini is public so I think I will just keep using the Nausilus mini.

5. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Nice review mate :) Very thorough.

6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Nice review mate :)

So by sounds of it, this is a better tank to recommend to new vapers than the Nautilus or N. Mini.
    Probably would be nice paired with a Evic VTC mini mod :)

Adding to reviews directory.

laurie9300 likes this.
  7. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

I'll definitely be recommending it over the Nautilus, the old mini still has an advantage with 18mm eGo style mods..........

Thanks Noe......

8. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles Moderator

Yes Noe, the flavour is amazing - huge difference from the original Nautilus - I am loving mine and will definitely get a few more as funds allow.
    The only thing I really dislike is the drip tip but I have overcome that problem by modifying a silicon drip tip.
    I love the look of it as well, I have the gold one and it goods great on the white Radius.

Thanks for the review Laurie :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    laurie9300 likes this.
  9. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

Just awesome Laurie. You should review all your gear. Unbiased, informative, and easy to follow. Well done.

laurie9300 likes this.
  10. Pippi

@laurie9300 could you put the link for the rainbow edition up please? I cant find it anywhere :(

laurie9300 likes this.
  11. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

12. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

rupert and Pippi like this.
  13. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

If you want a rainbow edition & they are sold out everywhere (whenever that happens), order a SS version & turn it into a rainbow tank yourself ;)
    To do that with this or any other SS tank/atty isn't all that difficult, all you need is a jet flame lighter/creme bruele torch, a pair of long nose pliers & space to work in around the kitchen sink.
    When you heat SS it will change colors, depending on how hot it gets, so turning the SS bits of your tank into rainbow or even purple/green/orange is quite possible, if you heat it to the correct temp, rainbow is a little easier than a single color using the jet torch though. For single colors, you may be able to do that in an oven or kiln better.
    Just be sure you have all silicone/rubber/plastic parts removed before attempting to turn your SS tank into a rainbow tank ;)

Edit:
    Heat tint colour chart
    The table below represents the temper colours that are likely to form on stainless steel type 304 if heated in air.

THIS INFORMATION MUST BE USED WITH CARE WHEN INTREPETING THE HINT TINT COLOURS OBSERVED ON STAINLESS STEEL SURFACES AS THE HEATING CONDITIONS ARE NOT SPECIFIED.

Colour Formed Approx Temperature C
    pale yellow 290
    straw yellow 340
    dark yellow 370
    brown 390
    purple brown 420
    dark purple 450
    blue 540
    dark blue 600

Found this video on changing the color of a SS mech mod from normal to mainly blue but it shows how you can make it rainbow colored:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Maria, Pippi, Judith and 2 others like this.
  14. Pippi

Thanks Noe, you are clever! I dont think I will be doing it though as I would be sure to stuff it up and end up with a fugly tank. and it doesn't look like Aussie suppliers will be getting the rainbow ones in.

Maria likes this.
  15. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Nice review, Laurie. Okay, I've been doing some side by side comparisons with the X tank and the original Nautilus Mini with the BVC coils at 1.8 oHm.
    The X tank wins hands down for filling being top fill and I love the looks and the fact that it never ever leaks!
    In terms of the X, I'm not convinced that the flavour is better, particularly with fruit and desert vapes (for some reason). I've been using both since their release and other than my home brew tobacco which does shine a tad more with the X, the Mini can at times provide equal or better results. But maybe that's just me.
    I'm using the 1.5 X coils between 14-18 watts; I use the BVC coils at around 12-14.

Simply due to the fact that the X is top fill, I tend to use it more. Just odd that this has been my experience..

Noe, laurie9300, Maria and 1 other person like this.
  16. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Definitely a big gold star. Looks awesome too.

laurie9300 likes this.
  17. sammstein24

sammstein24 New Member

cool review .ive been tossing up weather or not to buy one for a while :)

18. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I've been using the Nautilus X that was part of the Quadflex Kit from Aspire. I was hesitant due to the numerous less than complimentary opinions that have been given from vapers.

But I have to say in my opinion it's been a more than acceptable experience and I'm still using the same 1.8 ohm coil after approximately 20 ml of juice through it with no iffy tastes to date.
    I've used various fruity juices through it with zero dramas.

I bought some 1.5 ohm coils for it so I'll give those a whirl soon enough.
    I have seen a bloke rebuilding the coils on line but unfortunately it wasn't in English and a little hard to follow.
    All in all I find the Nautilus X an unexpected bonus.

My 2c worth.

Pippi likes this.
  19. Pippi

good to hear you are liking it Gassy, I did too - the only thing that put me off was the coils got soggy and not so pleasant for me quite quickly - plus the drip tip even though I created a modification for that.

Gasman likes this.
  20. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Do you want a copper coloured one? Pippi pif me one that I don't use. Just PM your address if you do

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Gasman and Pippi like this.