1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

The other way to modify your atty for bottom feeding Reos and other Squonkers

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Studiovape, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Studiovape

Studiovape Member

The other way to modify your atty for bottom feeding Reos and other Squonkers

This is posted in response to a discussion in another thread, it is just my experience and has no authority in itself, if anyone wants to chime in with better suggestions I am more than happy to learn from others, but here it is.

I favor drilled post vs dremmelled side of post, however sometimes like with the Veritas I just can't be bothered to redesign the whole atty to make way for a hollow pin.
    1/16 is the drill bit size to use for the main bore up the pin, any larger and you can compromise the post's integrity, any smaller and you are even more likely to break a bit off in your post and write off the post due to the usually impossible task of removing it.
    The last batch of bottom feed drilling I have done was on a mini lathe, so much easier and less stressful that with the drill press, however I have achieved it with a drill press many times in the past.
    There are a few tricks I have learned along the way that would have saved me hours of sweat and tears, countless broken drill bits and written off posts.

1. Stainless steel or SS work hardens much quicker under the heat and pressure of drilling than you might imagine, so coolant is vital especially with such a small SS part as a post.
    High speed steel or HSS is more than adequate to drill SS a long as you avoid work hardening the SS, as soon as you work harden the SS it's pretty much game over, and it becomes like drilling stone with a pencil.
    I now use PG as my lubricant and coolant.

2. The speed of the drill is important, too to slow and you increase the chance of the tiny drill bit catching in the hole as you drill it.
    So I set my drill press to it's highest speed.

3. Gripping the post in a vice is a recipe for disaster in my opinion, if you by chance manage to vice it up square to the drill chuck the only way to get it to stay there while being drilled is by tightening the vice to the point where you risk damaging the post.
    Trying to encourage the drill bit to fin the center of that post base is a nightmare, and although you can drill right down the threaded hole as I have in the past the risk of damaging the threads is very real if you have any kind of problem.
    The solution is not to spin the drill bit, but to spin the post.
    What you will need is a chuck to hold the drill bit that will be held by your vice, this will do the trick: PCB Drill Chuck | Drill & Socket Sets | Hand Tools | Tools & Soldering | PRODUCTS | TD2010 | Jaycar Electronics
    At $9.95 it will save you much more than that in the long run.
    So the post is held in the drill press chuck and your 1/16th drill bit in the PCB drill chuck.
    you still have to line up your post base center and the drill bit, but your drill bit will be much more eager to find the post base center than you though possible.

4. The actual drilling in my experience is best done in multiple shallow dives, Don't rush it!!, using enough coolant to lubricate and cool the SS post as you go, the PG is great because it will start to vaporise and steam if you get the post and drill bit too hot.
    You need to put enough pressure to make the drill bit cut, but not so much as to jam it up, this takes practice, and gets much easier with experience, but with the info I have given you here it should be a fair fighting chance even from the first go.

5. Feed hole/s in the side/s of the post are also a challenge, the biggest of which is starting the hole, and avoiding the drill bit skipping all over the surface of the side of the post. Measuring exactly where you want the feed to exit the post is another.
    I always aim to have my feed port/s below the lowest point of the deck for good drainage, and I usually achieve this by removing part of the insulator, leaving a slight step down between the deck and the feed port, this then tells me where I should drill the port.
    Once you have you port marked on the post you can drill a 1.5mm or 1/16th hole in the side of one of these and clamp it onto the post, may need to drill out center hole a smidge but no big deal : Landing Gear Wheel Stop Set Collar 8x3.1mm (10pcs) they are chrome plated brass and although easy to drill, should act as a great guide for your hole in the SS post.

You can get away with a 1.5mm hole/drill bit and especially if you are going right through the post to create two ports I would definitely only go for a max of 1.5mm holes.
    If this all seems to hard then a careful slice with the dremmel disk can also make a satisfactory feed port, however the slice needs the edges smoothing before you insert the post back into the insulator or you can jam the post as you gouge the insulator.

cheers
    SV

2. Studiovape

Studiovape Member

This was small snippet below posted by Catweazle on the other thread, and is a great method for aligning your pin and drill bit.
    "Take desired drill bit, put it gently but firmly UPSIDE DOWN in the drill press. Lower the bit with the drill until it's about 3-5cm into the vice jaws. Tighten the vice jaws - tight. Release the bit from the chuck. DON'T MOVE THE VICE. Put he pin to be drilled thread end first into the chuck. Fire the drill press up and plunge/peck the pin into the drill bit CAREFULLY. Remember: small drill fast speed."

rotten likes this.
  3. Studiovape

Studiovape Member

I have been drilling and otherwise modding most of my remaining standard attys and as you will see some are even from genesis atty origins.
    Some you will have to guess, all the individual attys pictured (except the first one which is a Chinese Igo-L clone )in the strip are hybrids or highly modified/machined. .

Some of the attys I have bottom feed converted below ( yes the Zenith did say it was BF, but it did need extensive tweaking and machining/drilling to perform acceptably)

[​IMG]

The custom jobs.

[​IMG]

Browny, Catweazle, rotten and 6 others like this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Administrator

Test. Checking to see if this shows up in new posts.

5. Angela

Angela Rebel Against the Sewing Machine

Works for me.

6. DogMan

DogMan Butler

my drill bits get stuck in the post

don't know if it is too slow speed, the top of my cheapy DP is a bitch to get off

Studiovape likes this.
  7. Studiovape

Studiovape Member

I could well be, you need to run with max speed belt setting on the low end DPs to get close the ideal speed.
    The other thing is to be patient, taking little dives bit by bit, and keep the PG flowing, even on the lathe if you go too deep too soon, Oh god this is starting to sound like sex ed.

Catweazle and DogMan like this.
  8. DogMan

DogMan Butler

so lube up, go slow? but on high speed?

i might need to break out the wd40 on that drill press top

Catweazle and Studiovape like this.
  9. Studiovape

Studiovape Member

You got it, I remember when I thought slow and steady won the day, man i went through three drill bits at a time before I would end up breaking the fourth off in the post. Now my nemesis is M2 taps in silver posts LOL

DogMan likes this.