UD/Youde Goblin Mini V2

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Ben, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Hey all,
    I've purchased a fair bit of gear and juices over the last couple of months and I want to get round to doing mini reviews on everything, but I thought I'd start with my latest arrival, a black UD Goblin Mini V2, which was received end of last week from the lovely folks at House of Vape. Just for transparency, I have no affiliation with HOV, I paid for the item from the website, and this is in no way endorsed or sponsored. If it was, they'd want a refund anyway :p

On to the serious stuff, when the box arrived I was beyond excited, and had to open it up and have a play at my desk at work. The box is a standard lil black cardboard setup with an easy lid and a security tag. Inside is a little how-to for the newbs. Below that is the good bits. A fully assembled Goblin Mini V2, a spare glass tank, a little goodie bag, as well as an optional heatsink and glass drip tip combo. The goodie bag has some O-rings, a spare post screw and the single coil/single airflow adapter. Everything packaged nice and tight and arrived in perfect condition.

Just looking at the individual pieces, everything looks great, perfect machining, nice clear glass on both tanks and the DT, all of the O-rings seem fine, 510 looks good, very smooth action on the airflow and it looks sweet on a little mod (used my trusty istick30 for this). I ran into some trouble getting the thing apart, as the airflow control area has some fairly sharp edges and the internal threads on the chimney were very stubborn at first. After a bit of cursing, a few blood spatters and swearing, I got it apart and everything now feels buttery smooth. I detected no smells of machining oil, but I thought I'd give it a quick clean anyway.

So the build deck is a tiny wee thing, I chose to go down the single coil route for this lil baby, popped the single coil adapter in and built a 1.5ohm 2.5mm 28ga kanthal coil, loaded with kgd cotton. I found it really easy to get the coil nice and centred, all of the screws turned great, although they do need quite a fine screwdriver to key into. I had read that the wicking was a bit of a problem area, so I was a bit more careful than usual. Made a normal wick, fluffed it up a bit inside the coil, and pulled the tails up and together, slipped on the chamber-sleeve (giggle), and just snipped the wicks around a mm above the top of the sleeve. Poke down with a toothpick and just make sure it isn't plugging the juice holes (but not leaving them too open). Pop on the glass and the chimney, making sure the airflow is closed.

Once it is all assembled, unscrew the top section (very easy threads) and you have 2 holes for your juice. The 2 hole design makes it so easy to fill and once you are done, screw the cap on, invert, open the airflow to your desired level and you are good to go. I've been vaping on that same coil at 13.5w over the Easter weekend and haven't had a dry hit or a leak yet. very little condensation on the top of my mod and no signs of any problems. I've been keeping the airflow at around 1/3 open, which suits my 'restricted lung hit' style quite well. The mod tends to get fairly warm, but only after serious chain vaping. I'm sure that lower ohm builds will really heat it up. I haven't used the glass driptip or the heatsink much, I really like the stock one that they provide. It is a nice size, suits the tank and doesn't seem to heat up much.

The whole unit sits 28.6mm high without the driptip or heatsink and the stock dt only adds 11-12mm so it's freaking tiny. Juice capacity is stated at 3ml and I haven't tested that, but you can fill pretty much all the way up and it takes a matter of seconds to use the top-fill function. I've been getting fantastic performance from it, really great flavour and a whole lot more vapour production than I'm used to. I'm getting much thicker, voluminous clouds than I was getting by pushing 18w through the 1.2ohm triton mini coils (which I love, but just using it as a comparison). I've been using a DIY mix of Hiliq's Grape Concentrate at 15% with 70/30 VG/PG at 4mg/ml. I've had the juice in my Atlantis V1 with 0.5ohm coils and my Nautilus using 1.6ohm BVCs and I can easily say that the Goblin has by far the best of every world. Smaller form factor, comparable capacity, better airflow, easier filling, option for single and dual coil, better vapour than the nauti, not far off the atlantis either and the flavour is better than either.

Currently $37.95 of your royal Australian bucks and the choice between super-stealthy black or silvery stainless steel, I can't recommend it highly enough. These things don't seem to be in stock at many places, but I'll pop HOV's link here for you to check it out.
    http://houseofvape.com.au/vape/rebuildables-rba-rda/rba-rta/goblin-mini-v2-rta-by-ud/

Hope this helps anyone looking to buy a new RTA or is after an easy stealthy little tank to pop on top of a baby mod. I should be getting my Mini Volt shortly, so I'll pop some piccies up showing off the lovely pair of ninjas.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it, happy to help out :)
    Carry on guys n gals.
    YNWA

Stuart, Noe, KayP and 2 others like this.
  2. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

OK so I received my COV Mini Volt and just have a look at this!
    [​IMG]
    Still running the single 1.5 (although my volt reads it at 1.49ohm) and it is freaking amazing. One thing I've noticed is the quality of the 510 compared to the ones in my istick and coolfire. The threads are so much nicer! Having to hold a couple of buttons together to change watts is a slight annoyance, but I don't tend to chop and change wattages often, no biggie.
    Just the sheer tinyness of it is ridiculous, fits nicely in the pocket, and I can actually vape it without any of the mod/topper/drip tip showing at all.
    Still no leaks to report and vaping very smoothly (around 10 tanks have gone through it).

KayP and RC. like this.
  3. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I got a Goblin Mini V2 yesterday and I am finding it a really nice vape, nice flavour and pretty intense clouds running with dual SS coils.

It is also really small and cute.

KayP likes this.
  4. KayP

KayP Senior Member

I've had my GMV2 for a few weeks now. I like it too :)

RC. likes this.
  5. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Over a week of pretty constant use and I have to say I'm really happy with my purchase. The GMV2 is now sporting a twisted 28/28 single coil measuring in at 0.86ohm, running 17-20w and it is really a great vape. Flavour is right on point, vapour production is great and still no leaks (but I am being very careful with my wicking). I changed the coil to the aforementioned 0.8 last night, I was getting a touch of that dry-hit flavour and sure enough, the coil was gunked up to buggery. It seems the gunk was colouring the e-juice as well, it would layer out while in the tank, a darker liquid settling on the bottom, the lighter stuff on top. no sign of it since swapping the coil. The GMV2 is a difficult bugger to take apart though, try not to overtighten anything too much!
    In terms of pairing with mods, I've happily been using it on my mini volt, istick30 and Balrog and all 3 suit it nicely. The MV is great for a little pocket/stealth setup, I use the iStick when I'm driving because it's light and just sits so perfect in my hand and the Balrog at home for it's indestructible feel, comfortable shape, attachable lanyard, battery capacity and the little 510 protection ring thingy that soaks up the condensation that the goblin will inevitably deposit around your 510 connection. Looks great on all 3 and I have them in rotation.
    In conclusion, after a week of using the Goblin Mini v2 almost exclusively, I'm a huge fan and highly recommend it. It pairs well with many devices and is just extremely convenient to use due to the topfill. In fact I cant even be bothered with the v1 because I've been spoiled by the v2. Seriously considering doing a bit of a cleanout to leave myself with only the aforementioned mods and a few gmv2's...

KayP likes this.
  6. KayP

KayP Senior Member

I converted my GMV2 back to dual coils recently and tried out a different wicking method. It does not leak, but much to my dismay it still sweats. I may have to get a Balrog because I'm tired of regurlary unscrewing the atty to check for condensation. A heatsink would be a good alternate choice, at least in lengthening the life of your mod's 510. If only Youde implemented a ring of cotton cache on the bottom of the atty itself.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

7. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

The Balrog comes with spare cotton rings, when I get home I'll try to pop one under the goblin and see what it looks like, but yes it would be nice for UD to do that. I looked into heatsinks, but there were really mixed reviews. I like the newer ones on FT (the dish ones with air holes cut out, not the finned ones) as it looks like you could drop a cotton ring in there and it would kind of block it from view.
    These ones: https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...-510-heat-dissipation-heat-sink-for-atomizers
    It just looks like it might be a little bit big for the gob?

KayP likes this.
  8. KayP

KayP Senior Member

I believe the cotton cache container just unscrews off on the Balrog. You can even replace it with your own cotton, just shape it into the ring.

9. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Yeah totally, but the Balrog box actually comes with spare cotton rings that go under the container thing. Might just be able to use a loose one. I'm popping home at lunch time so I'll experiment then :)

KayP likes this.
  10. KayP

KayP Senior Member

That heat sink looks good; however, I wonder how it looks with a 22mm atomiser on top of it. Have to wait for more reviews. Good find Ben.

11. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Hardcore vaper! Lunch break = play with vape gear. LOL

12. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Haha it helps that I work 10 minutes(ish) from where I live. Get to go home, see the puppy and play with vape gear.
    I have a package from Fasttech that says it's in Wangara ready to be delivered, so I'm hoping that gets here before I leave for lunch :)
    Actually, it has a Goblin Nano in it, so I'm keen to give that a go. Now that I've been spoiled by top fill though I can't see it getting a lot of use...

13. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

OK just got back from an early lunch, had a look and I realise I made a rookie error. Because the Balrog has a little 'cache' as KayP pointed out, it is contained and can't block certain bottom airflow systems, such as the one found on the goblin mini. Put one of the spare cotton rings on and there is no air going through the atty and hence no vapour in your lungs...
    Plus, the rings aren't cut to fit snugly around the 510 connector, they sit around the outside, so they aren't directly under the airflow, meaning that liquid from the holes will still go around the 510, and possibly into it, but wont end up on the outside of the mod.
    Experimentation will continue....

14. KayP

KayP Senior Member

So.. it blocks off the air flow for the GM? Well that sux.

15. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Yep, the cotton isn't in the airflow holes as such, but blocks the sharp cuts on the bottom where air enters (the air channels maybe?).
    Yeah it sucks, but not the end of the world. I find I only really clean it off once or twice during the day and its never more than a few drops.
    eg: I wiped it around 11am, it is now almost 5pm and there isn't a drop on the mod, only a couple of specks on the underside of the atty, and that is with the mod being in my pocket, on my desk and being vaped in equal thirds roughly.

16. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Tinkerbell

Well I'm late to the party but I recieved a GMV2 today from stockist in Queensland. I do so love the tinee tinyness of it. Unfortunately I dropped it on the tiles at home and cracked the tank lucky it has a spare. Made it much easier to pull apart though. Think I'll be lubing up the threads with VG as it was a bitch to get apart before I broke the glass tank. It's soaking in vodka at the mo but did you guys work out how to deal with condensation?

17. KayP

KayP Senior Member

If you continue to have difficulties separating the top cap/juice fill cap from the tank, something you could try is inserting the tip of a screwdriver, or anything similar, into each JF hole. Use these as handles and twist your tank open. I still use this technique.

Edit: As for condensation: I no longer prime the coils, i.e. a brief exhale into atty before inhaling. This in conjuction with wicking has solved that issue for me.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    sirfoxey likes this.
  18. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Correction: I just rechecked my GMV2 and there's still a little condensation near the AFC, but it's much better than how it used to be. Looks like is not avoidable with bottom AF atties.

19. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Tinkerbell

Cool it's still soaking lol I've been a bit busy.

20. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Is it leaking or is it just condensation?

Edit: Oh NVM. Call for help if you need it.